On January 5, 2017 at 1AM we were awakened by our smoke detector.  Our Class A motorhome with a Norcold 1200 Fridge was on fire.  We got out with our lives thanks to our smoke detector.  Make sure yours is working.  $20 smoke detector is very cheap insurance.  Ours saved our lives!!!  Within 10 minutes of our getting out the whole motorhome was in flames. 

Lyle,

Glad you and Linda are safe, Sorry for the loss of your MH. Thankfully it can be replaced. Your lives are what are important.  I hope that a fire marshal determines that the fire was caused by the fridge and you had documented that all of their recalls had been done by a licensed aka authorized dealer. From there I would be looking at what kind of coach Norcold would be buying for you.

Good luck and again sorry for your loss.  

Herman

Lyle and Linda,

We parrot Herman's sentiments and appreciate your posting. 

After receiving class action lawsuit information regarding our Norcold 1200, and reading of the other horrors about fires, we immediately started planning to have a residential refrigerator installed.  So, that work is done and we have a great residential fridge now.  Interestingly, the cost of the new fridge, modifications and new pure sine wave inverter wasn't much more in cost than a new Norcold or Dometic.  Plus, we have a lot more space.

Did you receive info about the class action lawsuit?

Blake

Yes we got that info.  That lawsuit does not cover our loss, however our insurance covered our loss.  Now our insurance company is involved in a lawsuit against Norcold to recover their loss. 

We are not quite ready to replace our motorhome.  Not ready to get in one and go to sleep.

Lyle, We just run ours on LP and if it quits - Then it will be time to replace the old girl ! The refrigerator of coarse - not the DW.

Rich.   

Running it on LP will not stop a fire.  Fires can start when the tubing breaks and the ammonia spills out near a hot element or open flame.  The vibration of the unit starting each time it runs can cause the failure over time. One of the fire investigators told  me he has inspected over 3000 of these fires and it is not if they will fail but when.

Wow!   What a shame!  Totally agree with Herman. 

Up to you, if the lifestyle you had, outweighs the horror you experienced.  When you both feel inclined to do so, you should sit down and list the things you like vs don't.

Good Luck

Carl 

5 hours ago, lylefikse said:

Yes we got that info.  That lawsuit does not cover our loss, however our insurance covered our loss.  Now our insurance company is involved in a lawsuit against Norcold to recover their loss. 

We are not quite ready to replace our motorhome.  Not ready to get in one and go to sleep.

Don't be afraid to sleep another night in RV.  Just ensure your next RV has a household fridge.  Problem solved!  Sleep like a baby.

Lyle, glad you both are safe! It seems like everywhere you turn another Norcold goes up, more lately than ever it seems. We almost lost our coach in August 2014 (three months after purchasing it used), I got it out before any loss occurred, just some wallpaper damage behind the fridge. That was one heck of a stress test that day.

Well after 7 1/2 months after our fire, we are looking at used Class A diesel's.  Must have list.  King Bed, 2 recliners that face the TV, Bath and 1/2, Dinette on patio side of coach, Aqua hot or similar system, residential fridge (Norcold only get one chance to kill us), rear exit door or very large window that is easy to use (we know how important this is). Suggestions of models to look at???  Right now our favorite is a Dutch Star 4002. 

Welcome back!  Glad to hear you are ready to get back in the saddle again.  There are so many choices out there they no one can really narrow it down to a short list.  Enjoy the hunt and if you find something that meets your needs, go for it!  Are you looking for new or used?

FYI, most, not all, but most coaches, especially older models that have residential refers, Aqua Hot, and bath and a half will also be long enough for a tag axle....like the DS 4002.

4 hours ago, lylefikse said:

Well after 7 1/2 months after our fire, we are looking at used Class A diesel's.  Must have list.  King Bed, 2 recliners that face the TV, Bath and 1/2, Dinette on patio side of coach, Aqua hot or similar system, residential fridge (Norcold only get one chance to kill us), rear exit door or very large window that is easy to use (we know how important this is). Suggestions of models to look at???  Right now our favorite is a Dutch Star 4002. 

Glad you are looking. Here are a couple of places that might have something you might like. http://motorhomesoftexas.com/

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

There are places that can add a escape door. 

Bill

Newmar has a rear escape door!  Also, the rest of the list.  Jumping out of a window does not appeal to me anymore! :o

Lyle, I did a walk through at a campground of a new Dutch Star 4369 I believe was the floor plan, it had a rear door and bath and 1/2, Nice coach. It was one of the only few that I have heard about that they picked up from the dealer, had it for 2 months went out to CA and back to PA and NO problems with anything :o

Speaking of escape options...our coach only has an escape window in the bedroom. Is that common? I would think one up front would be a good idea also. I'm guessing Monaco's mind set was to use the front door for the people sleeping up front..Depending on where a fire starts that may not be suitable.

Thoughts?

I have seen rear doors on some of the new coaches.  Some have the hinge on the bottom so when it opens there are "steps" to walk down assuming the coach is still right side up.

Joe our 02 Dynasty has two escape windows. One behind the bed and another over the couch in the front. However we have four Windows that we can crawl out of if necessary which I hope never happens. 

Herman 

The American Coach Eagle has an escape door as an option.  When you see it in the coach, it's street side in the rear, it looks like a row of shelves for knick knacks.  But those shelves are the steps if you have to use it.

14 hours ago, jleamont said:

Lyle, I did a walk through at a campground of a new Dutch Star 4369 I believe was the floor plan, it had a rear door and bath and 1/2, Nice coach. It was one of the only few that I have heard about that they picked up from the dealer, had it for 2 months went out to CA and back to PA and NO problems with anything :o

Speaking of escape options...our coach only has an escape window in the bedroom. Is that common? I would think one up front would be a good idea also. I'm guessing Monaco's mind set was to use the front door for the people sleeping up front..Depending on where a fire starts that may not be suitable.

Thoughts?

Joe, that is pretty common. Most people don't ever "exercise them" or try to open them and they are stuck when they need them. One more thing for the annual maintenance list.

Bill

If you are 5'2" and 90 pounds dripping wet, my 2 would work fine!  The 24" wide by 18" high in the bedroom (also has a 4" wide Valance around it) and a 48" wide by 24" high, covered by a 6" to 8" Valance in front over the dinette....Well it does meet code! LOL

Sorry Carl,  still not a LOL situation to us.  We came within minutes of dying in our fire.  Too many manufacturers give this little thought.  Most of us in these rigs are older and need a better rear exit than they are providing.  If we don't demand safety with our pocketbooks it is unlikely we will get it.  The fire investigators that investigated our fire said they had investigated over 3000 of these fridge fires and most involve serious injury or death.  We were very very lucky.  I guess God is not done with us yet!

Lyle.

Did not mean it as a LOL in regards to your harrowing escape and fire.  The LOL was in regards to the ridicules codes and bare minimum safety requirements the manufacturers must meet.  I totally agree with your assessment of the Industry!  

I had an fire automatic suppression (extinguisher) put in the outside refrigerator compartment.  At least it gives me peace of mind.  We have a big escape window in the bedroom. Just throw the comforter over the windowsill and climb out.  For the front of the MH we have a mid door entry that would be easily accessible should the alarm sound.