rjnodine

TV Outlets

I need help,  I have a 2001 Damon Intruder. We were doing our spring cleaning and I plugged a small shop vac into the outlet on the passenger front floor. I guess I tripped something because after about 30 seconds the outlet died. I tried all other outlets and have no power for the TV, Sat or front floor.  I have read in forums to check reset on inverter, can't find any reset, only GFI with a test switch is the bathroom, reset that, went to the breaker panel and reset every breaker. Nothing helped. I checked all basement compartments and cannot find any hidden GFIs. Checked under my slide outs and nothing there. Checked both breakers on the generator and reset them. Any suggestions? I am ready to try anything.

Thanks and Happy Easter

Jim

There is a reset on the inverter...just hard to find.  Call the inverter company tomorrow.

On our 2003 Phaeton some 120 outlets are inverter powered and some are 120 from park power or genset power. Found out the hard way one chilly autumn morning in Oklahoma. Plugged a ceramic heater into an outlet low down near the DW 's seat and soon, no TV. Like you, I was confused. No wiring diagram is available for our coach. Called Tiffin to purchase one not long after buying our used coach. Was told by parts department they did not exist. Then I remembered something that I read on this website some time previous that made me open the door to the inverter/charger. There are two breaker switches. One was tripped. Cycled it back on and things were OK again. I later used a circuit tester to identify the sockets to not use for a heavy load. Your inverter/charger must have circuit breakers somewhere on the unit. Is there perhaps an access panel that can be removed with a screw driver? Our two were in the open and therefore easy to see.

Your small shop vac must have upset your inverter. My guess is that outlets that might normally be used to power electronic accessories are inverter powered. The one that I plugged the heater into could easily have been used to power a laptop, phone changer, etc.

Good luck!

Thanks obedb, that sure sounds like the same problem I have but I don't see any breakers on my inverter, I am going to go look now to see if there is an access panel. Thanks for your help

I was just looking at my inverter/charger... there are no reset breakers visible but there are 3   25 amp fuses externally and they all seem fine, i removed them and changed positions, still a no go.

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

Jim,

Looking at the pictures, I see that your inverter is rated at 1,000 watts.  Which is 8.3 amps.  What is the rating of your shop vac?  Also, did you have anything else running on 120v at the same time?

If you have an electrical tester you may want to check the fuses.  Sometimes visual doesn't indicate correct condition.

Blake

Blake, thanks for your reply... my shop vac is rated 6 amps... the only other thing I had running at the time was the in house radio and the furnace, both of which continued to run after. Only loss the use of the 3 front plugs, 2 in the overhead front (for the TV satellite) and one at the bottom passenger area. I will check those 25 amp fuses tomorrow with a volt meter

The photo you posted is of a CONVERTER.  This unit does not supply 120VAC to your coach.  It provides 12 volts to charge batteries and run the 12 volt 'stuff' line frig control board, water heater ignition, lights, etc.

Never have owned a Damon coach but I suspect you have another GFI outlet someplace that is tripped.

Do you have an inverter that supplies 120 VAC when not plugged in or running the generator?  If so, there may well be a breaker on it that is the culprit.  Guarantee it is not the Progressive Dynamics unit that is causing the problem because that is ONLY used with 12 volts.  It does require 120 VAC input (shore power or generator) though.

Lenp

X2 lenp, this is not an inverter, if there is an inverter, look for another set of 12V DC wires going away from the battery bank.

7 hours ago, lenp said:

The photo you posted is of a CONVERTER.  This unit does not supply 120VAC to your coach.  It provides 12 volts to charge batteries and run the 12 volt 'stuff' line frig control board, water heater ignition, lights, etc.

Never have owned a Damon coach but I suspect you have another GFI outlet someplace that is tripped.

Do you have an inverter that supplies 120 VAC when not plugged in or running the generator?  If so, there may well be a breaker on it that is the culprit.  Guarantee it is not the Progressive Dynamics unit that is causing the problem because that is ONLY used with 12 volts.  It does require 120 VAC input (shore power or generator) though.

Lenp

Lemp,  Thanks for the info, I honestly suspected that the converter was not the problem but I am grasping at straws right now. I have several outlets that have GFI stickers on them but there is no reset on them. I have checked the main breaker panel, reset them all, replaced all the 12 V fuses in the panel, only outlet with a test/reset switch is the bathroom and that is working.  I have read that the front outlets are for low amp power and I blew mine with the shop vac. Now the front 3 plugs are the only ones not working.

5 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

X2 lenp, this is not an inverter, if there is an inverter, look for another set of 12V DC wires going away from the battery bank.

kaypsmith,  thanks for your help,  I assume you mean the house batteries, and I will look at that again but seems to me the only extra wires at the battery would be a smaller set, I assumed they were going back to the Inteli-power charge wizzard.

Are you on shore power or generator ?  I had a 1997 Allegro that was set up like yours, Converter only.  When on Pedestal or generator it would charge my 12V system.  That's what a converter does.  To use your 12V system for 120VAC you need an Inverter.  Sometimes they hide both of them...my converter was mounted under the kitchen sink ! :wacko: I suggest you look in your owners manual and see if you have a separate Inverter...I think not ! :( 

If you have or know someone who has a tone generator and probe, you could plug the generator into the outlet that is not working, then use the probe to check at the breaker panels to determine where the other end of that circuit is. Don't try this on a live circuit of course.  The outlets that are labeled GFI are downstream from another true GFI plug or breaker, if it is a breaker in the breaker panel, there will be a distinct difference in the looks of the breaker and should be labeled.

I wasn't sure if an electrician could solve this or if I needed a RV electrician... guess I will have to call an electrician and see what they tell me.

Thanks for all the replies

Jim

Jim, Shut down all 120v power to the coach, remove the outlet and look at it closely, RV are know to be built with low budget outlets, could just be a bad outlet.

That's a start. shut all power to the coach down aka, pull the shore plug and keep the generator off, start pulling outlets in close proximity and inspect. I had a bad outlet once and the wires broke off the back, nothing worked down stream either.

Thanks for everyone's help. I found the inverter.... at the bottom of the drawers under the bedroom closet. They sure believe in hiding it. It had a 4 amp breaker on it and that makes sense because it was a 6 am shop vac that tripped it. I reset the breaker and have power to the bedroom tv plug and can see that the wire goes inside the ceiling toward the front of the coach from there. I have to get a store bought receptacle and box before hooking it all back in. will let you know if i have full power.

YESS... that was all I needed.... 3 days trying to find it and finally decided to take out all the drawers in the bedroom. Found the inverter in the bottom screwed to the floor. Hit the reset switch and put a new outlet in  the overhead by the bedroom TV and that is where the low amp circuit runs along the ceiling to the front  overhead compartment. ALL plugs working again.  I don't think it would hurt these companies to let you know where the inverter is located.  I have read that it should be close to the batteries, NOT in my case, batteries located under steps and the inverter under  the very rear dresser/ closet.

Thanks again to everybody for your help and suggestions.

Jim