searayman

Budget: $185K DP 40'+ tag or non tag axle. Recommendations Please

We are in the market to purchase a motor coach to live in for the next 2-4 years. If you had a budget of $185,000 what coach would you buy-- and why?

Is there a downside to a tag axle 42'+?

What are the most reliable or less reliable? Would you stay 40' and under as some suggest?

What about a Class C Dynomax type Coach?

Any response would be appreciated. I am very thorough and want to make sure I am not missing anything.

Thanks Mark

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Forum!

With your budget I think you'll have a lot of options open to you.  Here's my two cents.  We currently have a 2005 Monaco Windsor (40-10").  We love it except wish it had a tag and about 4 more feet.  It suited our needs perfectly when we bought it 12 years ago since we were taking shorter trips in and about the mountains out west.  Now that we are retired we find ourselves burning up the highways more and traveling cross country often.  I think a longer coach with a tag would have suit us better now.

As many others would say.....look for a coach that does not have modern emissions and is pre-industry downturn.  Quality is much better.

You might start by looking at Motorhomes of Texas.

Blake

Mark, Welcome to the Forum!

Blake is pretty much on with my thoughts, as far as brands, with your budget I would look toward the higher end of coaches. Foretravel, Travel Supreme, Prevost, Newell. Age; around 2006 and older will keep you safe with quality and no emissions engines. Length, we are at 41'2" now no tag. Coach handles great, no wandering but with each chassis manufacture this will vary, as a rule of thumb a tag coach will handle better but have less under storage unless you go long (45'). Motorhomes of Texas is a great place to look.

I would recommend a pre 2007 Country Coach, Holiday Rambler, Monaco Dynasty, Foretravel.  All Diesel, all on their own chassis and all top quality.  They also came as 40 foot with tag, on up to 45 foot.  Those are the "Cookie Cutters"!  For a Prevost or Newell in your price range, your looking pre 2002 with no slide in Prevost and 2001 with 3 slides in Newell. I know nothing about the big class C's, other than a 45 foot = 37 feet of living space!

Carl

I did have a 2001 Monaco Diplomat that was our second motorhome. It was a very nice coach and had what we wanted. The problem with it was the wandering it did in high winds and semi tractors passing. We decided to look for another motorhome. I found a Gulf Stream Tourmaster 45g which had a tag axle. We really did not want a coach that length, but after driving it, which we have had for 2 years, I will never have another without a tag axle. The ride is superior to a coach without the tag. The other gift is the space you have and the amenities; 432 square feet when slides are out, dishwasher, washer and dryer, bath and 1/2, king size bed and a walkin closet. I also tow a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which makes the length 65 feet. The draw back to the length is you cannot get in a lot of National Parks.  Most of the RV parks can acomidate the length and the tool booths charge me for 5 axles.  The engine is a Cummings 425 hp which did very well in the Rockies and most every where I have traveled. If you are a faster driver you will need the larger 500 or 600 hp engine. 

Happy Travels

Lex and Karen Cauffield

Florida

Lex.  If your a fast driver, you need a sport car! :lol:  Mine is a different make and model, but the same as yours.  Country Coach had tag at 40', same with Monaco Dynasty, plus you get two of the best and strongest chassis made!  Nimbus by Fortravel also has tag at 40' and up, another great chassis...non of those chassis wander in wind or 18 wheelers passing you!  I'm on a Spartan K2 chassis, strong and dependable...don't hold a candle to any of the fore mentioned !

In 50 years next month, I think, I have had every chassis made for gas and DP!  I'm looking to downsize to a 40 foot with Tag!

Carl

You can buy an older Prevost for under $200,000 and you will have the best ride and handling available.  Their are 40 and 45 footers both with tags.  At that budget it will likely only have 2 slides max. but that will be plenty of room if the coach was laid out properly.

It will last forever and if you plan to full time for 2-4 years you will get a higher resale value down the road.

On a Prevost, you'll get no negative from me!  That's what I'm looking for!  I was referring to "Cookie Cutter" MH only! :)  Any Prevost, MCI conversion, or Newell, is far superior to a Manufactured lets see how many we can build in a year coach!

We have a 2008 Newmar MountainAire which would be in your price range. We love it and it has lots of room (45' and 4 slides). The tag makes for a smooth ride. Can't go wrong with Newmar. 

David.  Now tell us how you have had no big issues with your (can't go wrong with Newmar) coach. :lol: Devil made me say that, as I'm parked 4 coaches from you!