marktaylorjets

Feedback On The New Jayco Seneca

Anyone have any feedback on the new Jayco Seneca? 

Initial quality of materials and workmanship, does it match up to the hype? 

After a bad experience with another brand, trying to decide what to do next. 

Seems quality control is shaky industry wide.

MT

I would also be interested in the Seneca.  I've been also looking into the Dynamas DX3 and the Renegade Verona.  I would appreciate any comments on those coaches too.  Thanks for posting.

I have a friend with a Dynamax, no issues with quality. That or Renegade would be my ONLY super C choices. Jayco was bought out, I have heard their quality dropped, and wasn't great before. They done a decent job in their standard trailer the J-flight I think it was called, beyond that I haven't heard much positive. Maybe someone else can chime in with more experience.

Joe, totally agree!  The only thing I don't like is you have to subtract the cab and engine from total length. :(:blink: 

I owned an 08 Seneca, but that was on a different chassis and with a different engine than is found on newer Senecas.  As far as the quality of the house, I thought it was well built with good quality construction.  I have not looked at the newer models, so have no comment.

Carl, good point in the overall length thought. Some you can spin the seats around but it still doesn't help much especially if you are tall. I truly don't like the cab mounting vs body mounting in a Class C. One fights the other and who wins, well we find that out down the road as it ages, either way your wallet looses.

I do like the ease of engine access and simplicity over a DP. Renegade I believe has a floating cab that is not attached to the body directly like most class C coaches. Plus the front suspension is usually spring, not air like a DP, some DPs are air bags with springs also behind the axle, depending on who's chassis is under it.

I will never again own a coach without air bag suspension. A properly maintained bag suspension is far superior in ride comfort.

You are all correct on the suspension... I didn't catch that.  I thought the Jayco was pricey, but the Renegade is 300k!  The cab/body mounting issue is another reason to re-think this idea.  Thank you all for your input!

Our last coach was a super c 35 Gulf Stream Endura on a Chevy 5500 with a 8.1 gas plenty of power climbed hills like a mountain goat only problem was you were sitting in the orchestra pit had to talk loudly to have a conversation with DW first few miles in the DP and we were sold (all the racket is 40 ft behind) and won't go back ,?£##%+ now I can her her.?

Since we are part timers we are usually happy in the coach. When we had our C we would argue on occasion, I would yell to her, she would ask why I'm so loud, I talk softer...what did you say I can't here you :wacko:. With the DP if my breathing changes she hears it. Eat beans....well she hears that also :lol:

On 4/21/2017 at 10:14 AM, marktaylorjets said:

You are all correct on the suspension... I didn't catch that.  I thought the Jayco was pricey, but the Renegade is 300k!  The cab/body mounting issue is another reason to re-think this idea.  Thank you all for your input!

300k is probably the MSRP , you can get it into the lower $200's ...  still alot, but you won't be  disappointed with a renegade, IMO

Bill.  Agree, even a big class C, with the living space of a 10' shorter coach.:lol: Could not help myself !

Back to Jayco , witch is now Thore owned.  What I have heard from some owners, they are not living up to the hype!  Then again, these days you can have the same problems and probably will, in a $700,000 King Air, by Newmar...dice shoot !  

We love our 2016 Seneca (just over 10K miles into it so far) and have no issue with the quality of its build, operation, or drive-ability. We did our homework before purchase and knew we didn't want to go the most expensive route with the Dynamax lineup (very nice, but not worth the price premium IMHO). The Super C is a niche vehicle and we wanted a TRUCK (not a BUS) and we got a TRUCK with Freightliner's ease of serviceability. Ours has rear air suspension, air brakes, 10K towing, and air ride pilot/copilot seats. The only 'irritants' we have are the dual fuel tanks (that are inconvenient to fill unless at a truck stop) and not rooftop solar-ready. So unless the Jayco manufacturing practices declined since 2015 when ours was built, I would have no reservations with considering the Seneca.

Pretty much the same comments at 
Crossing Over".  We have the 2018 Seneca, and for the most part, it has been trouble free.  12K miles.  Drives great.  We had a dealer repair on the vertical seam where the truck cab meets the vertical side wall.  Two screws backed out, causing the trim piece to pull away from the exterior wall.  Other than extremely slow dealer response, everything fixed to our satidfaction.  Love the Freightliner chassis and Cummins power.

wjpatton01, that is a common failure point on any class C. How is the cab and coach body mounted to the frame?

typically the cab floats on rubber and the coach house is mounted solid. As the unit flexes down the road the cab tries to move but it’s fastened to the coach house front wall, this will often cause the mounting to back out or shear off. I have seen a rubber boot/accordian between the two so the cab could work independently with the coach house on a Renegade product, not on any other manufacturer. So naturally I am curious what Jayco did to correct this area of concern or did they just mount them together. 

Truck body companies have learned this the hard way and they figured out a redesign on the body mounting to make it work, this only has been in the last 8-10 years and my concern is the RV industry has always been 25 years behind the rest of the automobile/truck industry.