Sign in to follow this  
F233381

Trip To Alaska

Question

7 answers to this question

There are so many factors that come into play here that it would be very difficult to give you an answer.  We drove from the  border in Montana to Anchorage in about a week.  We were not in a hurry, but didn't spend longer than two nights in any one place, until we arrived in Anchorage.  Your daily driving miles will be the biggest variable.

On 4/19/2017 at 8:53 AM, F233381 said:

What would be the expected average speed of a 35 ft gas class A pulling a car accross the Canadian roads to Alaska?

The Alcan Hwy from Dawson Creek, to Alaska is almost all 2 lane road.  It is a very good highway.  Most of it has paved shoulders from 4' to 10' wide. 

However, most of the speed limit is 90-100 KMH (55-60mph) or less.  There are lots and lots of hills.  Nothing really bad just going up and down.  A few of the grades are 7% to even 10%, but not for long distances.

Lots of beautiful scenery. 

If you just want to drive with a purpose of just getting there, you could probably average 45 mph for a days travel.  That is assuming you only stop for 10-15 minutes for lunch, gas stops as quick as you can, bathroom breaks 5-6 minutes, don't stop at scenic view points, etc.   That means when you drive you push, push, drive, drive,drive.  Not much fun but it will get you there.

For a more enjoyable trip, plan on at least 2 weeks, 4 weeks is even better, to go from the lower 48 border to Alaska border.  Plan on a 4-6 hours per day drive and relax.

Follow the "Rule of 2's".  Drive no more than 200 miles in a days travel, off the road by 2pm and stay 2 nights before moving again.

F233381

In my Elk Lodge on Galveston Island.  Every year, we have 5 couples who live in AK come down for Winter, in their 43 foot coaches!  10 day's of travel.   They travel between 9 am to 5 pm daily.

I don't understand "the rule of 2"!  Come to think about it, I'm retired and I suspect so is the OP, there are no rules!  :lol:

7 hours ago, manholt said:

F233381

In my Elk Lodge on Galveston Island.  Every year, we have 5 couples who live in AK come down for Winter, in their 43 foot coaches!  10 day's of travel.   They travel between 9 am to 5 pm daily.

I don't understand "the rule of 2"!  Come to think about it, I'm retired and I suspect so is the OP, there are no rules!  :lol:

Not sure if you are being facetious or not about the "rule of 2's".  But it is for retired folks not to rush through the magnificent country. 

Instead of the mad rush of 8 hours of travel every day for 10 straight days, from AK to the Houston, Texas area.  Slow down and enjoy the trip.  Take a month to make the trip.  Drive 200 miles in a day, get off the road by 2pm and spend at least 2 days before traveling. 

Even if you are going to wind up at the same location every year, you take a different route each year and each direction. 

That is not for some folks.  If they have no interest in what is between their two destinations, then the straight through trip works for them.

As stated, there are no "rules", just do what you like.

Al. I was not trying to be anything.  Just a fact...the AK folks spend winters in the low, lower 48.  Most are not retired, but their business is in tourism and by late September the weather gets real iffy in AK and Canada...not all of Canada.  Even the Canadians that are snowbirds are mostly in the States by mid October, like CA, AZ, NM, Texas, LA, AL, FL.

Never met any that takes a month or more to get to where it's warm!

Last time I drove to AK, we spent 2 weeks in the states and 10 days in Canada, before getting to AK.  Now, we fly to Seattle, WA. or Vancouver, BC. and take a R/T cruise or the Ferry system.  Love the Ferry, it takes you to places that a coach has never been! 

Just made that trip. Did a month going up the western route. Month in AK and month coming down from Dawson city and the Alkxan hwy and going through the ice fields parkway. Felt we were pu s hung it but had a family reunion to a tend in aug. Great trip take your time. BC and th r Yukon have great campgrounds. Can be a long ways between cites just enjoy the campgrounds 

On 4/22/2017 at 8:53 PM, manholt said:

Al. I was not trying to be anything.  Just a fact...the AK folks spend winters in the low, lower 48.  Most are not retired, but their business is in tourism and by late September the weather gets real iffy in AK and Canada...not all of Canada.  Even the Canadians that are snowbirds are mostly in the States by mid October, like CA, AZ, NM, Texas, LA, AL, FL.

Never met any that takes a month or more to get to where it's warm!

Last time I drove to AK, we spent 2 weeks in the states and 10 days in Canada, before getting to AK.  Now, we fly to Seattle, WA. or Vancouver, BC. and take a R/T cruise or the Ferry system.  Love the Ferry, it takes you to places that a coach has never been! 

The point I am trying to make is there is lots to see between any two destinations.  If you have the time, talk your time when traveling and LEARN something about this great country (Canada also) instead of just driving directly from/to the same destination every year.

But to each their own.  Some folks are not interested in what there is to see and do between their two destinations.