joanesh

Our Maiden Voyage: Any Tips Or Wisdom To Offer?

Hello all, 

I just introduced myself (and my husband) over in the FMCA Lifestyle/All About You forum, but thought I should post separately here for this topic.

We're taking our new Fleetwood Bounder 36H Motorhome for its maiden voyage at the end of next week, and we'd love to hear any tips or wisdom you have for beginners.

Though we have backpacked and tent-camped for decades, we are brand new to RV-ing, so any advice you can offer would be welcome and very much appreciated.

FYI, we're only going 120 miles away for our first trip, we're going with experienced RVers, we have pull-through/full-hookup/big rig sites reserved, and we're only going for a weekend to put our new RV through its paces.  But I don't even know what we should really do to test our rig on our maiden voyage.  Any thoughts?   

• Is there anything we should look for, check, or test (that might not be obvious) while pushing through the paces?
  • What is your favorite tip (practical/to-do-or-not-do-item) to offer a newbie?
  • What is one piece of advice/wisdom you would offer about RVing in a Motorhome?
  • Is there anything we should absolutely *not* do or avoid?
  • Are there campground etiquette issues about which we should be aware that are different for RVers (we *are* experienced tent campers)? If so, what are they?

There is so much I could ask, but that will do for now,  and any input is welcome. 

I'm am so excited about our new adventures (we both are), but I'm also quite aware that I don't even know what I don't know, and that feels a little intimidating. So I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Any help or insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Thank you so very much!

Joan

Welcome to the "school of hard knocks." We have all gone through it. Keep a smile on your face when you meet RVers that may be able to help you. Never pretend to know more than you do. Ask for help when you need it. Be humble even when you don't quite feel it.  Most but not all will be happy to help you. There is a lot of archived info on this forum that will be very helpful if you learn how to navigate through the posts.

Please remember that you are driving a large vehicle. They do not stop quickly. Follow at a very safe distance. Let off of the accelerator and get ready to hit the brake pedal if another vehicle takes your space. It is the safe thing to do. At the end of the day, the ground given up to the inconsiderate  will amount to very little.

Enjoy. Keep a happy face.

1 hour ago, joanesh said:

Hello all, 

I just introduced myself (and my husband) over in the FMCA Lifestyle/All About You forum, but thought I should post separately here for this topic.

We're taking our new Fleetwood Bounder 36H Motorhome for its maiden voyage at the end of next week, and we'd love to hear any tips or wisdom you have for beginners.

Though we have backpacked and tent-camped for decades, we are brand new to RV-ing, so any advice you can offer would be welcome and very much appreciated.

FYI, we're only going 120 miles away for our first trip, we're going with experienced RVers, we have pull-through/full-hookup/big rig sites reserved, and we're only going for a weekend to put our new RV through its paces.  But I don't even know what we should really do to test our rig on our maiden voyage.  Any thoughts?   

• Is there anything we should look for, check, or test (that might not be obvious) while pushing through the paces?  One thing is You need a water preshure regulator for when you hook up at campgrounds. I allso like the Camco water filters. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Water-Filter-2-Pack/14504322
  • What is your favorite tip (practical/to-do-or-not-do-item) to offer a newbie?
  • When you are driving or backing into a spot, STOP AND LOOK. You are wider and taller than the car you are use to. It is always best to look twice before trying to drive under trees or "bridges"  Find out how tall you are and paste it somewhere to remind you how tall you are.
  • What is one piece of advice/wisdom you would offer about RVing in a Motorhome?  Take your time and enjoy it.
  •  
  • Is there anything we should absolutely *not* do or avoid?  Don't leave the black tank drain valve open while hooked up.;)
  •  
  • Are there campground etiquette issues about which we should be aware that are different for RVers (we *are* experienced tent campers)? If so, what are they?

There is so much I could ask, but that will do for now,  and any input is welcome. 

I'm am so excited about our new adventures (we both are), but I'm also quite aware that I don't even know what I don't know, and that feels a little intimidating. So I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Any help or insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Thank you so very much!

Joan

I posted some ideas on your outher post. There are several outher things you might find useful. I recommend you get a surge protector if you don't already have one. I use a Surge gard http://trci.net/products/surge-guard-rv/hardwires-portables/50a-portable-w-lcd-display

I like the portable because I have used  it to check power before geting the coach setup.

Heare are some apps you might find usefull.

http://www.rvparky.com/

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

CoPilot USA,  I use the basic version as the RV version has gotten some bad reviews. The basic"car" version has worked very well and you can download the maps on WIFI so you don't use data.

Passport America can save you 50% on campgrounds.

Yelp, helps you find good places to eat and outer things.

Oh, Ranger, locates state and local parks and other interesting things.

Gas Buddy, Find cheap gas

Visitor Tips, This is like the rack of brochures at the local visatercenter.

Rest Stops, finding the next one is always a good thing.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bill

We have developed a checklist we use when getting the coach ready to travel - antenna down, electric, water and sewer disconnected, etc.  We saw a 5th wheel try to pull out a few years ago with water & electric still connected - damage to the RV and the park owner was really unhappy.

When camping, that is your space.  Avoid walking thru another persons site.

Have a Dog?  Pick up the poop!  Even in a rest area.

As Byron said, your not driving a car so don't expect to stop or accelerate like one.  By the time you get back home from your 240 mile trip, you'll know and feel at ease driving.

Both of you need to drive the coach!  No surprises if one gets sick and can't. :(

Bill has some good ideas on his post under the other topic. Camping in the driveway is a very good idea, the house is your store. Make a list of what you think you need, when you run short and need to go to the store, that is ok, write it down and go get it. Likewise, keep track of those items that you don't really need, remove them and from your original list, you can become too cluttered. We have summer and winter clothes that we move into and out of the motorhome, of course we are not full timers, winter goes in in late fall, summer in md spring. We keep the motorhome loaded as if we are leaving the next morning, this way when there is a last minute urge, we have many of them, we just go load the dogs, and away we go. Our motorhome stays at our house and is plugged into power when here so there is no need to remove fridge items.

Many happy tales and trails on your new adventure, Kay.

Great advice from the previous posts!  The main thing I would like to add is, driving a motorhome vs a car (on vacation) is a slower pace.  It won't come into play on your short maiden voyage, but on longer trips, limit the amount of miles you drive so you can arrive at the next campground before dark.  For us, this means at most, about 350 miles in a day.  You will appreciate having daylight to be able to set up camp, and have plenty of time to make dinner, or find a place to eat out.  This is different than vacationing in a car, where you drive as many miles you can.

Also, you may not always drive the posted speed limits with your rig.  You will find that most motorhome owners drive around 60-65 mph because there is a significant gas milage savings by driving slower, and fuel is one of our biggest expenses.

Enjoy your trip!

Don't go!! Seriously, go camping within reasonable driving distance of home base a few times until you are completely familiarized with your RV and learn what to do and what you need.

Make check lists, I have several...a what to take list (mine is by room...kitchen, bed room, etc), what to leave when stored, a day prior list (put away lawn chairs, roll up patio rug, etc), an outside departure list (sewer hose, cable, water, antenna, etc), an inside departure list (refer doors secure, cabinets locked, roof vents closed, table lamps put way, etc), a clothes list, a list for the toad (set up procedures).... these lists are changing, things being added/deleted as needed.

Be especially careful idling through a CG going to your space.  Many CGs like to put big rocks or 6 x 6s embedding in concrete on turns.  And, equally important, use a ground guide when backing.  Your ground guide should always be able to see one of your mirrors (then you can see him/her) and should be walking back and forth in back of the RV so he/she can see both sides as well as the rear.

While you are doing all these things, remember, this is supposed to be fun!:D

@obedb Thank you for the welcome and the advice.  Keeping a happy face here!  :)

@WILDEBILL308 Thank you again, for your replies both here and on my other post. Lots of great information there, and I will plow through it. So helpful!  A couple of quick questions, if you don't mind: 1.)  We *do* have a surge protector, but it is built in (not portable).  Do you think we should have a portable one as well?  2.) Regarding on the water pressure regulator, would you recommend the adjustable kind with gauge or just the standard?

@lmsooter  Thank you for reminder about lists.  I saved some to PDF that I found on a website somewhere (it's all a blur, lol!), so thanks for mentioning those; I'll print them out and put them on a clipboard.

@manholt  All great tips, thank you.  And thanks for the encouragement for me to drive.  I am, but I'll admit I'm still a little intimidated (getting more comfortable as I practice). Everyone in my family and circle of friends is astounded, even shocked, that I'm driving, too (what? little ol' me?  short round Welsh grandmother me?  me drive?!).  But I'm bound and determined to relieve DH, even if it's only on long stretches of Interstate. I'm getting less intimidated the more I do, and will be sure to practice more.

@kaypsmith Thank you for your welcome and encouragement. Love the idea of camping in the driveway and using the house as only a store.  And I appreciate learning that our lists will be fluid and subject to change. :P  I suspect I'll be changing those lists for a few years!  (Hey, that's why we're jumping in now: so we can have five years to practice traveling in the RV before he retires!). 

@aztec7fan  Thank you.  I so appreciate the encouragement to lower our driving-distance expectations and the "permission" (if you will) to sometimes drive under speed limit (60-65 mph).  We're not getting any younger, and we're learning to "stop and smell the roses" much more.  It looks like RVing will fit right into that philosophy!

@nitehawk  Oh my.  I thought just going a 2-hour drive away, within towing distance of our dealer/garage was a reasonable first trip.  We do plan to "camp" in our driveway, and to overnight at a campground just 5 miles up the road a few times before we undertake our 1000-mile trip later in the summer.  But we thought that we'd need to drive at least a little ways on Interstate to get a feel for the rig and see how it performs on hills and such.  The day before we leave on this maiden voyage, our salesperson (been selling Fleetwoods for decades -- an old fart like us) is going to give us a 5-hour tutorial on all the ins-and-outs of our specific rig (during which I will take copious notes and will video anything complicated). It's basically a boot-camp-training on Howee.  I sure hope that's enough preparation.  We thought doing it the day before would ensure the details were fresh in our minds; and our salesperson (same old fart) gave us his cell phone number so we can call him literally any time 24/7 during our trip for help (not to mention we have road assist if it's something mechanical).  I figure we have to go sometime.  But thank you for your concern! :)

@FIVE Thank you for the list suggestions, and for the cautions about driving through CGs.  I had no idea CGs did that along their roads.  We''ll certainly be careful (DH is doing smaller road driving for now until I work up the nerve... lol....).  Thanks!

Everyone, thank you so very much for your input!   If you think of anything else, feel free to keep it coming!  I'm soaking it in here.  I (or DH) have a few other very specific questions we'll post as we're able, if you all don't mind. 

Thank you for being so kind and welcoming!

Now I'm back to working on my lists!  LOL....

Joan