elkhartjim

Camping World Is Highest Bidder For Gander Mountain

Does that mean stoping at Camping World for odds and ends will allow me to buy ammo for my Colt M1911?😎

Did't Bass Pro Shops buy Cabelas?  Speaking of Bass Pro/ You gotta see the home store in Springfield!!!  Hemingways Restaurant has a huge salt water fish tank that runs the length of the bar, and home made onion rings.

It's a perfect fit! I have found Gander overpriced and their service sucked on a Warranty issue. I'll take Bass Pro or Cabellas any day!

Now that the kids (18+) are using Cabellas Aquariums as a swimming pool...should be quite entertaining! :blink::wacko: 

While we have been traveling the past few days, it seems that every Gander Mountain store we have come across have big "Store Closing" signs up.  We went into one today (Montgomery, AL), and everything was for sale at 20 - 50 percent off.  Even the store fixtures were for sale.  I wonder if Camping World is closing them down to open more CW store fronts?  Or just closing down unprofitable locations?

Gander Mountain is closing in York,PA with big discounts. May run up there this week early to see if there are any hand guns I would like to have. By the way their staff always lacked a lot of enthusiasm. Never enjoyed going in there.

Byron, I totally agree!  Been to the one in Longview, TX. twice and ended up in Academy instead...they smile! :wub:  When I want guns, no matter what kind, I go to the Armory in TX.  or my favorite gun smith!  I have to get my dress shirts made, due to my size...same with long guns! :lol:

I've been in one Gander, one time...didn't buy anything and have never gone in another...not impressed.

We have two Cabellas in Denver area. We went once as they were just opening the store. Tried to open a Cabella's card for a discount and they declined us. We have no debt, no troublesome history and credit scores in the 800s. Go figure, never went back. We like Bass as they are closer anyway...

Bill Edwards

1999 Safari Panther

Just found out that they(CW) are closing the Gander Mountain store in our area and the store -that they bought back about 8 years ago, was sold back to the original family owners and that is a good thing. They(the original)owners where in business for years and treated there customers very well. The real kicker is many of there employs left after the CW takeover and have now comeback to work for the family operation.  Speaks volume's regarding how employees felt !

Rich. 

Rich,

The CW we used to frequent in Denton 5 to 6 years ago had some really nice people working there. We hadn't been there in that tine until about  3 weeks ago.  Not one of those folks were still there. Looked like a bunch of very young collage kids that most likely could not spell "RV" let alone know what they were stoking the shelves with did. (now don't get up tight, there are more bright and wonderful collage kids, it is just a non-pc phrase).

We only went there to spend the $15.00 gift certificate we got for renewing GS. (for Pilot/Flying J RV Plus card Discount)

Glad to hear that your store has returned to the folks that made it what it used to be.

Herman

I love Cabelas! I have stopped at Bass Pro before and while it wasn't bad there was no staff around to help you locate something. I buy my summer shorts from Cabelas, they are comfortable and priced decent.

CW takes over Gander Mtn  it over you can bet its going down hill, they have proven that with their CW stores.

Joe you are correct about Cabelas. A slight correction, CW didn't buy Cabelas, Bass Pro did. Not sure what changes can be expected there. Both are nice full service Sporting Goods companies.

Gander Mountain was fair. However I never went in and felt welcomed and I can't remember seeing an employee that looked like they liked what they were doing. :mellow:

Oh well times they are a changing. 

Herman

Thanks Herman, I re-read my post and corrected it, it was misleading. What I meant and what I typed were two different things :P

Sorry we wont see you there. Syracuse is, I believe, the Northeast Area's Rally and I'm sorry I don't know the dates. You can find out on the FMCA home page under Areas.

Herman

Herman, next summer we are headed to Texas, when are the Lone Star outings/rallies typically held? If I time it right that might be a great option.

Joe, 

We have 5 Rallies each year. One in February, April, May September and December. But, sorry, none during the summer. Just too darn hot. But please PM me and let me know your itinerary and maybe we can meet up some where. Maybe we could put together a mini rally some place. 

Herman

Gander Mountain was always higher priced than Cabella's or Bass Pro when I went there. Been a few years since I last went in one, same thing for Camping World.