cthiggy

Holiday Rambler Quality

Purchased new Holiday Rambler Vacationer XE on 9 March 2017.  There were a myriad of problems with the vehicle.  Had to return the vehicle to General RV in Dover Florida when it currently resides.  Problems included main slide hanging up on and ripping out adjacent cabinet, non-functioning generator, water leak in the fill connector, entry step not working, crack in the exterior fiberglass wall, vehicle tends to wander when driven...the list goes on to a point where it becomes painfully obvious HR manufacturing has no Quality Control Organization/function whatsoever.  Googling HR reveals others have suffered similar problems with this manufacturer.  This vehicle will be for sale as soon as we can get it back and functioning.  Word to the wise: DON'T BUY HOLIDAY RAMBLER!!!

cthiggy, the RV industry in general today is sadly this way, it started to fall apart in 2006-2007. Holiday Rambler when owned by Monaco (not REV, now) was a great company and built some of the best coaches on the market before you stepped up into the custom class. Today its a name that another company purchased. Hopefully the dealer will resolve your problems fast so you can hit the road and enjoy you coach.

Why would want it back?? Does Florida have a Lemon Law?? You will lose a lot of money trying to sell a coach that new as a used unit. Might save some money getting a lawyer involved. None of the problems mentioned should have been present on a unit sold by a responsible dealer.

20 hours ago, cthiggy said:

Purchased new Holiday Rambler Vacationer XE on 9 March 2017.  There were a myriad of problems with the vehicle.  Had to return the vehicle to General RV in Dover Florida when it currently resides.  Problems included main slide hanging up on and ripping out adjacent cabinet, non-functioning generator, water leak in the fill connector, entry step not working, crack in the exterior fiberglass wall, vehicle tends to wander when driven...the list goes on to a point where it becomes painfully obvious HR manufacturing has no Quality Control Organization/function whatsoever.  Googling HR reveals others have suffered similar problems with this manufacturer.  This vehicle will be for sale as soon as we can get it back and functioning.  Word to the wise: DON'T BUY HOLIDAY RAMBLER!!!

Just wondering why at least some of these things weren't caught when you did your inspection prior to taking delivery?  Like "non-functioning generator, crack in the exterior fiberglass wall, vehicle tends to wander when driven, entry step not working". You did take it for a test drive didn't you? 

Bill  

cthiggy,

I'm Sorry but I have to agree with Bill. You stated in your other post on the subject of your dissatisfaction with your Holiday Rambler, that this was your 4th motor home. All of the items you mentioned would have been caught on a through PDI. Yes you seem to have gotten  a lemon, however all the blame should not be on General RV nor RVI, you accepted the unit. 

I hope you are able to resolve your issues.

Herman 

Mr. Herman,

Your comment makes a perfact sense. Even if I have a couple of million $ in expendable cash I would'nt do such thing. 

Keep on, keep us in straight.

KK, Oklahoma City

Best thing you could do is get your Motor Home To factory service center in Indiana. Make appointment and take it to factory! Do your self a favor and get away from General RV Dover Fl. They will jack you along till warranty runs out! Good luck. To bad Monaco/Holiday Rambler are not even close to quality they once where

On 5/2/2017 at 10:48 AM, obedb said:

You will lose a lot of money trying to sell a coach that new as a used unit. 

Not to mention what you would be doing to the person who's buying it - baaad karma!   Check out what your legal options are....  and document everything!

Maybe I'm wrong...but from what I've read there seems to be a very wide range of quality in Class A and Class C motor homes. Unfortunately, this poor individual decided to purchase this Class A probably based on price and was not paying attention to reviews online before he looked at purchasing this model... 

Thor ACE Motor Coaches comes to mind as a very inexpensive and poorly finished motor home...we looked at one and were very underwhelmed by the quality... and gas engine.. that's probably a comparable model to what this person purchased? 

That is irrelevant in this case. Go re read his post and what I said. 90+% of what he was complaining about should have been caught on the PDI. 

Bill

5 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

That is irrelevant in this case. Go re read his post and what I said. 90+% of what he was complaining about should have been caught on the PDI. 

Bill

Bill, maybe.... the original poster said

"Problems included main slide hanging up on and ripping out adjacent cabinet, non-functioning generator, water leak in the fill connector, entry step not working, crack in the exterior fiberglass wall, vehicle tends to wander when driven...the list goes on to a point where it becomes painfully obvious HR manufacturing has no Quality Control Organization/function whatsoever"

i don't know how you can misinterpret that....YES, I agree completely that the pre-delivery inspection was not handled properly...

This person ran a lot of "red lights"..if you know what I mean. He should have read reports of motor homes online. 

ARE you saying that you don't agree that there's a lot of substandard Class A and Class C motor homes built  cheaply just to sell... The range in price on these units, like $75,000 for a bargain Class A to more than $2 million for a top end Class A...

I'm sure you can appreciate what I'm saying...a $2 million diesel pusher like an Entegra motor home is going to be much higher quality and workmanship than the Thor ACE coach for $91,000

Here's two examples below,   I would expect the Entegra to have none of the issues that the Holiday Rambler had..

https://www.entegracoach.com/motorhomes/insignia/

http://www.generalrv.com/product/new-2018-thor-motor-coach-ace-30-dot-2-616792-9

Mark,

Entegra doesn't make a $2,000.000.00 coach. With more experience with a Class A motor home you will understand there is a great deal of difference between taking delivery of a Chevrolet Malibu and a 40 Foot diesel Motor Home. I can't understand how you can misinterpret what Bill stated. When you purchase motor home, big or small, expensive or entry level, you have to do a through Pre-Delivery Inspection. What you also missed was that Bill was wondering where the OP had gone. Did he take the coach back to the factory, did he get his problem solved?? 

Herman 

One needs to search on "Motorhome Lemon Law."  In most instances it has to be a major item, AND the manufacture has a reasonable number of attempts to fix the problem.  It's not as easy as one would expect. Example, if they fix one item and then it goes in for a different item and they fix that, and it goes in for another item and the fix that, and it goes in for another item ... it doesn't qualify for the lemon law.  That's my take on it anyhow.

Mark, What I am saying once again is it has nothing to do with the quality of the build but on the lack of due diligence by the buyer. The OP posted 3 different versions of his rant about quality. In this one he states "This is our fourth motorhome (two Winnebagos and one National Tradewinds) and is the singular worst RV experience we have ever suffered."

One would expect someone who claims to be experienced to 1. do a good PDI or 2. hire someone who can do it.

Here's a tip for you, don't sign the final paperwork till you are satisfied everything is correct and you are happy. 

Bill

Wow, you guys are tough!!! 

Florida has lemon laws, but the lawyers will tell you they mostly pertain to the chassis and associated hardware.

The recourse is to use a Breach of Warranty action.  but you have to be awake and watch out.  The dealer will usually slide a piece of paper under your nose to sign while closing the deal.  "here, this says you received a copy of the warranty"  you usually just sign as the closing goes on.  The warranty or a special document dedicated to Breach of Warranty will tell you that you can sue for Breach of Warranty only with-in 90 days of the termination of the warranty.  as you go through the first year you find and they fix problems, usually without a hassle.   when you get down to the end of the warranty period if you send them a final list of issues they'll accept it but then they'll delay the repairs for various reason's.  could be parts, the lack of availability for a service appointment etc.  they may even fix some items to your satisfaction and some not.  in the meantime the clock is ticking.  you're basically happy cause they are working on things.  now you go beyond the 90 day requirement and they cut you off or refuse to repair items on the list you gave them back before the warranty expired. your not happy you want to take a breach of warranty action and your SOL.  the time allotted for that is gone.  I've had very reputable sales people tell me that's the way it's designed.  Buyer beware.

10 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Mark, What I am saying once again is it has nothing to do with the quality of the build but on the lack of due diligence by the buyer. The OP posted 3 different versions of his rant about quality. In this one he states "This is our fourth motorhome (two Winnebagos and one National Tradewinds) and is the singular worst RV experience we have ever suffered."

One would expect someone who claims to be experienced to 1. do a good PDI or 2. hire someone who can do it.

Here's a tip for you, don't sign the final paperwork till you are satisfied everything is correct and you are happy. 

Bill

Well, well, well....  Bill, something must have happened on the way to forum...if you know what I mean.... take a look at this blog from 2016 on the Holiday Rambler XE.. some really pissed off clients..

Do I think this particular guy made mistakes, YES. 

Did he buy an inexpensive Class A... YES.

Did he FAIL to do an inspection, YES. 

Do I think that it matters to purchase a higher quality motor home,. YES. 

I definitely think it's NOT a good idea to purchase the low price leader... Otherwise, purchase something of higher quality used. 

See these posts of people complaining of poor build quality. 

Pathetic response from dealerships too. 

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=95696.0

I understand you are a rookie,;) but nearly everyone else on here knows and understands the problems in the industry. The "takeaway" for you is to do your due diligence. Don't give money /sign the paperwork till you are totally happy with the coach. Some dealers will let you spend a couple nights on their place so you can test everything. If they won't just walk away.

Bill