jegregg

Where To Boondock On The East Coast?

We've been camping for years in our Class A MH but always in campgrounds and have never boondocked.  We live in Maryland and are looking for some place on the east to try it out.  I'm not talking about overnight in a Walmart parking lot, but somewhere there are no neighbors.

Any suggestions would be great!

Good luck with that!  First, why are you wanting to bookdock and second where on the East Coast are you hoping to do so?  We lived in VA and traveled extensively on the East Coast.  That is to say we traveled from RV park to RV park on the East Coast other than our stays at Flying J's.

JEGREGG,

Welcome to the Forum. As DD69 said look for state and Federal Parks. Also check out Corp of Engineers Parks around most lakes and rivers. They will all have "No Nothing" sites. Just a term from Nationals. it is not meant to be derogatory, just that the person want nothing when parked, no water, no sewer, no electricity and by all means no Generators.  

If you are old enough you might consider getting a National Park Pass. In the past it was called a"Golden Age Pass". Mine is still good but has another name now. 

Herman

Hea I resemble that the DW and I have them anything you can get from the government for free works for us.

No neighbors and free on the east coast? Gotta be kidding. We live in PA, four miles above the MD line. Gave up on serenity a long time ago. Been RVing since 1986 with rentals/ then bought our 34' Georgie Boy. Long gone. Head west for solitude.

36 minutes ago, obedb said:

No neighbors and free on the east coast? Gotta be kidding. We live in PA, four miles above the MD line. Gave up on serenity a long time ago. Been RVing since 1986 with rentals/ then bought our 34' Georgie Boy. Long gone. Head west for solitude.

I agree. You better have your reservations made already. Finding any place to camp in the North East is a challenge I think FREE and NO NEIGHBORS is a great fantasy. 

Bill

Camping is not free just park day use sorry if I made it sound like camping was free although camping is discounted there is a long wait at most parks that have campsites and most aren't worth the hassle 

jrock,

When I got my Golden Age card there was a one time charge of $10.00. I don't know if there is a still a charge or not.

And yes Carl, an "Ole Geezer" but remember I know how old you are also.:rolleyes:

Herman

13 hours ago, manholt said:

Yeah, the old geezer pass! :lol:

WOW....:lol::lol:

We also live in PA, closer to DE. I cant think of anyplace to camp for free other than wallydocking (Walmart) :lol:. Even that out here probably has some sort of crazy tax to go along with it :angry: or a sign that says its illegal to do so.

We boondocked at Assateague Island in MD in the National Park side a few years ago. But it does come with a cost that is much cheaper than a local campground (average camp site is over $100.00 per night), they have defined sites with no hookups.

Herman.  Mine was also $10 and it includes all BLM areas! 

Barkly, one thing we have is plenty of room to roam!  A lot of city's have free campgrounds, with water & electric! :)

All US Intracostal water ways have campgrounds.  Electric & Water, common dump station. 

It's still $10.00 Herman, name is now, (SENIOR PASS). In all national parks, gets you and your guests free admittance to the attraction, and in some but not all campgrounds, 50% discount on camping. All of the federal campgrounds in the Smokey Mountain National park, such as Cades Cove, Elkmont, and a few others there are 100% boondocking only. Nearly all Corp of Engineers parks do give the 50% off as well. There are many national attractions that have no campground facilities, but are worthwhile to visit, Mendenhall Glacier at Juno Alaska is one, Fort Pulaski at Savanah Ga., another, many more.

For those wanting to boondock in GA, check out the Bureau of Land Management, Army corps of Engineers, , and National Forest locations all over the state.  The best kept secrets are the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. primative camping sites. Most DNR wilderness management areas all over the state allow boondocking.  Georgia Power in the western part of the states have camping resources around their lakes from SC to  Fl.

The "old geezer" pass will be $80 in October 2017.  Now, still $10 and covers all National Parks, Forest and BLM. 

On 5/2/2017 at 5:30 PM, JEGREGG said:

We've been camping for years in our Class A MH but always in campgrounds and have never boondocked.  We live in Maryland and are looking for some place on the east to try it out.  I'm not talking about overnight in a Walmart parking lot, but somewhere there are no neighbors.

Any suggestions would be great!

Where are you in MD? We Are in Baltimore!

Keon.  We last heard from OP, when he posted back in May 2017...You might be able to reach out by PM, but I doubt it.