launchrc

Roof Coatings

launchrc,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

What coach do you have? 

What roof material? 

Leaks or damage to the roof?

Like you Brett waiting for a reply so I could throw in some interesting stuff recently discovered...last summer.

I do not have a rubber roof or know any thing about compatible coatings, so this relates to fiberglass. Somewhere along the line, apparently a number of years ago 3M produced a Hollow Ceramic Ball for insulating purposes and if I were a guessing man, the impetus was the space age. This material has been added  to elastomeric paint and is being used on commercial building roofs as a result of the "GO Green" movement and with apparently stellar results. Look at all the white roofs in New York and Los Angeles and countless roofs in Dubai and elsewhere.

I received this tip from another forum member in Redding, California who was applying it to his commercial building roofs and also to his coach. I then followed suit and ordered a 5 gallon pail and applied it "SON SHIELD" in this case to my coach's fiberglass roof. It is amazing and it helps for sure. The insulating qualities of the hollow ceramic balls is considerable. It is more like a dust, hard to tell that it is actually balls in the paint. In the Arizona desert this February through April, in 80 and 95 degree weather the roof was cool to the touch and under the solar panels, it was in the big scheme of things, cold to the touch. I have concluded that there is more heat gain from the side walls than the roof. This stands to reason also from the fact that the walls are thinner than the roof at 1 1/2 inches versus 3 1/2 inches. There is a solution to help this as well not yet completed. Have you ever noticed how warm those upper cabinets get when the sun beats on the outside wall?

One can Google this material for sure to determine accuracy. The balls reflect UV, They reflect heat both directions, they are fire resistant and have acoustic qualities, (I still had plenty of noise from rain beating on the roof) and several other purported attributes. The manufacturer requires 5 to 6 mills thickness hence the need for a five gallon pail. During application and due to the viscosity of this material it fills cracks and irregularities very well. In the 9 months it has been on the coach there has been no fractures in the surface due to additional drying, shrinkage from the heavy application to achieve the desired mill thickness. 

One thing I was hoping for was a shiny and thus a reflective surface. This did not occur at all, in fact it is a flat dull surface. I am still in the hunt for something to put over this now to gain the very glossy appearance I would like. A glossy surface is infinately easier to keep clean than a dull porous one. I am thinking of a high gloss Latex. Any input would appreciated. Cost was not bad a couple hundred dollars which is only a bit more that a couple gallons of Dicor roof coating with greater longevity.

Bill Edwards

1999 Safari Panther

Bill.  That stuff is on my roof...Per American Coach, you need to wax it once a year and that will make it shine.  If you don't wax it, it will do like mine is doing, weeping white rivers down the side off coach each time it rains or heavy fog.  Send me a PM for more info!

Carl

Hope this question belongs here. The original owner of our 2003 Phaeton told me the roof was one piece aluminum. Whatever it is/ there are no seams end to end and it appears to have been painted white from the factory. It is time to wash the roof (black streaks abound); is there a preferred roof wash? I plan on standing on an extension ladder and using a brush on an extendable handle.  Might decide to just get on top😳 but would rather not. 

3 hours ago, obedb said:

Hope this question belongs here. The original owner of our 2003 Phaeton told me the roof was one piece aluminum. Whatever it is/ there are no seams end to end and it appears to have been painted white from the factory. It is time to wash the roof (black streaks abound); is there a preferred roof wash? I plan on standing on an extension ladder and using a brush on an extendable handle.  Might decide to just get on top😳 but would rather not. 

I would use one of the "carwash" products in  it so you leave a little wax on it to protect it.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Probably a good idea to keep it simple. Something with some wax. Use Walmart Blue Coral on our cars.

Obedb, if you can gain access to some scaffolding to erect along the side of the MH, they are much faster and safer than using a ladder. I use them anytime I have work to be done next to the coach, including changing awning fabric.

Byron, I would call Tiffin Tech first and ask them what they used up there, then you'll know how best to keep the black stuff from weeping.  AC told me to use a floor cleaner and ruff up the surface, then rinse with plenty of water until it runs clear...let dry and use a heavy liquid wax and buff it....that's what Joe does to his roof every year.  My roof is fiberglass and I suggest you make sure that yours is aluminum...I have not heard about Tiffin ever using a metal roof, especially in their entry level DP !

Agree call Tiffin with your serial # to ask about roof material. I would think that it is fiberglass especially since there is no seams, but a metal detector, not a magnet waved over the roof will also net the answer if aluminum or not.

If you use a metal detector make sure it's not picking up signal from cross beams (cage of body) but actual roof only!