w6pea

FMCA Road Atlas Vs Rand McNally Motor Carriers Road Atlas

I just spent almost an hour typing and trying to post a question about the FMCA Road Atlas or the Rand McNally Motor Carries edition. What happened to it. I guess I might just as well buy my map book from amazon!:angry:

w6pea,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

You do have another post with the same title here on the FMCA Forum.  But there is no content?? It is still out there-- I will probably delete the one with no content tomorrow, but wanted you to be able to see it first.

Sorry, don't know what happened.

I for one have a couple comments about the FMCA atlas. I glanced at it at Chandler. I could not read it since it was to small. It is designed for younger eyes or older Americans with a magnifiying glass. I know from a conversation there that it has been suggested numerous times to builkd an atlas in a large format that is easier to use. It was stated that "Charlie" voted it down. Why would anyone our age vote down an improvement to increase the useage of this product with FMCA on it. I currently but the large format one from Walmart...it is terrific.

Bill Edwards

RSBill

I tried to post a couple of links, but I can't or could not get it to post. Is the FMCA Road Atlas laminated and or is a larger print version? I am almost ready to purchase the one I used to purchase every other year, the Rand McNally Motor Carriers spiral bound laminated Road Atlas. But if the one from FMCA is laminated and larger print I will buy that one to help support FMCA. And of course Walmart Locations, and Cracker Barrel locations are of more use to my DW and I in the RV than locations of DOT Weight Stations and Dot and State Vehicle inspection Stations. If I was still driving OTR for a living than I would spend the $51.00 for it.

I just opened my FMCA North American Road Atlas and Travel, 9th edition. What a disappointment, in our 7th edition most of the states take up two pages. In the 9th edition, most of the states are on one page. All this Atlas is good for is showing the interstate highways, some major roads and their index items, Walmart, Cracker Barrel, etc. In my opinion a waste of good money, which i'm going to try and get back.

Dave Hasselberg

I have an older Atlas that I use when traveling on roads off the interstates. It is a stapled edition without the spiral binder that cuts through right where you want to go. The details on the older atlas is very good for smaller roads and towns. It doesn't have overpass heights but what the heck, having to unhook and back up, to me is just part of driving a rolling earth quake down the road.:P

Herman

I still do not use glasses for distance vision , but I am starting to think about prescription reading glasses. The Walmart Cheaters don't work as well anymore on most maps. Will look for the  Walmart Atlas. An FMCA atlas like that might have sold well.

We have 7th and 8th Edition FMCA Maps. They were SO GREAT and HELPFUL.

We just received the 9th Edition FMCA Map. What a great disappointment!! We strongly recommend that members to NOT TO BUY IT. Save your money and get a real good one from Walmart. I am so glad I listened to my wife to save the 7th and 8th Edition Maps so I will use them instead of 9th Edition.

Biggest problems with 9th Edition are the huge prints of campground DOTS, especially the black ones, fill the map making map hard to read. Smaller prints for Walmart, Flying J, Love, and Cracker Barrel making them hard to find. I REPEAT, SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DO NOT BUY THE 9TH EDITION!!!!!

I don't post here much and in particular not a me too poster.  This is an exception for me.  I have the FMCA Atlas.  I had my eyes done three years ago and have very good vision.  I must say that the Atlas is just too small to read comfortably.  It is useful for a broad reference, but that's about it.  

My solution is to stop at state welcome centers and collect one of their maps if available.  I have also written state tourism bureaus and some offer free maps along with their what to do and see booklets.  I use an updated Garmin GPS and that has put me in some situations that make you pucker up, that's why I like the full maps to verify the route the GPS choose. 

45 minutes ago, nosticks said:

I use an updated Garmin GPS and that has put me in some situations that make you pucker up

I learned several years ago not to choose the shortest route when using any GPS for trip planning in my MH. LOL:wacko:

7th and 8th Edition maps were awesome...large map and easily read with many pages. 9th Edition map got smaller with much less pages. Did FMCA got greedy? I just bought laminated Truck Carrier map. From now on we will be very careful buying things from the FMCA store.

2 hours ago, nosticks said:

I don't post here much and in particular not a me too poster.  This is an exception for me.  I have the FMCA Atlas.  I had my eyes done three years ago and have very good vision.  I must say that the Atlas is just too small to read comfortably.  It is useful for a broad reference, but that's about it.  

My solution is to stop at state welcome centers and collect one of their maps if available.  I have also written state tourism bureaus and some offer free maps along with their what to do and see booklets.  I use an updated Garmin GPS and that has put me in some situations that make you pucker up, that's why I like the full maps to verify the route the GPS choose. 

We appreciate your input, don't be a stranger.

We do the same thing I like having a big map to see the overview and use CO-Pilot and Google maps for my navigation but like to check the route on a bigger format map. Not understanding the rout got me on the Georg  Washington Bridge once and that was enough.:P

Bill

4 hours ago, ObedB said:

Remember Bill. Prior planning prevents p___full performance. NEVER CROSS THE GW BRIDGE AGAIN!!😉

I agree. This summer coming south crossed using the Tappan Z. The good part is there is no toll going south. They are getting closer to finishing the new bridge that runs parallel. I haven't looked it up whether it is a duplicate for more capacity or to replace the old bridge?

Both lanes of the new Tappan Zee bridge are supposed to be open by this coming June. Pretty sure that the old span will come down.