Roadrunner2

C9 Oil Consumption Between Changes

2006 C9 chassis in a 2007 Revolution. I noticed I am using about a quart every 2000 miles or so per the dipstick. I read about stick calibration but not quite ready for a change yet. Exhaust looks OK to me. Very brief small amount of light smoke at startup. Keep in shop and see no leaks on the floor. What if anything should be checked? Coach runs great and gets about 7 mpg running 68-70. Thanks

Roadrunner2,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

A quart per 2,000 miles on a 9 liter diesel is not excessive.

But, absolutely at the next oil change, calibrate the engine oil dipstick so you know you are not overfilling it.

3 hours ago, Roadrunner2 said:

2006 C9 chassis in a 2007 Revolution. I noticed I am using about a quart every 2000 miles or so per the dipstick. I read about stick calibration but not quite ready for a change yet. Exhaust looks OK to me. Very brief small amount of light smoke at startup. Keep in shop and see no leaks on the floor. What if anything should be checked? Coach runs great and gets about 7 mpg running 68-70. Thanks

Welcome to the forum. Does it go down after the first quart? Does it get to the low mark on the stick?  What is your milage?

Bill

Thanks for the tips. Bill, I assume you are asking for total on coach, 28,000. We purchased in July 2016 from original owner and it had 21,000 miles. Oil had just been done and we had Allison serviced. We need to change coolant soon. Any other recommendations? Runs great but fuel mileage is poor but not unexpected. Get about 6.5 at 70+ mph or 7.0 at mid to high 60's.

Manholt, I am not sure about that. I topped off 2 weeks ago. Did about 2300 miles and is down about halfway from full to add on stick. I may have to do more research to get you an accurate answer. 

Roadrunner,

In writing, Caterpillar recommends AGAINST adding oil until it gets down to the ADD mark.  Yes, that is the add mark on a calibrated dipstick.

BTW, same goes for Cummins, etc.

We defer to Brett's knowledge of all things Cat. Not adding till at or below the bottom mark will also help see if it is blowing it out because of a incorrectly marked/calibrated dip stick.

Your mileage doesn't sound that bad. The faster you go the more fuel it takes. 

Bill

52 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

....The faster you go the more fuel it takes... 

Bill

Yep, that's the understatement of the day.  Above 60 and the mileage really heads south.

I have noticed that.  64 at 1650 rpm is my sweet spot for mpg.  Add a head wind and it goes down incrementally fast for each 5 mph against me...hills will do the same!  If it blows hard enough, I get into 5th gear at about 1,800 on flats or about 61.  Going out to Chandler, AZ.  We where in 5th gear, 35/40 from El Paso, TX. to Deming, NM. :angry:

I remember that trip. On one section the wind was blowing so hard as a head wind the coach would downshift to 5th on its own. I would love to have a trip across Texas and NM where I wasn't running into hurricane force wind. We waited out a bad storm in Amarillo the 29th and 30th because of the winds were gusting over 80 mph and the blowing snow reduced visibility to near 0.

Back to the Op's comment on milage. Brett what is his rpm for peak torque? I would run at or just over for the best mileage.

Bill

roadrunner what brand oil are you using? I know this may sound weird but I had a 3126 that consumed what I thought was excessive oil, I was using Rotella. Spoke to a CAT service rep and he suggested I switch to Delvac. I did and the problem went away. Sold the rig with 250,000 on it and it was still using very little to no oil between changes. Doesn't make sense but it worked for me. I know have a C9 with 77,000 and use very little oil between changes.