GiraAmerica

Summer in New Mexico

Question

My wife and I are thinking of escaping the heat of South Texas and spending the summer in the mountains of New Mexico. We would like a resort type facility for a two or three month stay. We travel in a 40 ft DP. Any suggestions.

There are some nice places around Santa Fe, NM, elevation 7199 feet.  This was the first capital of New Mexico.  There are numerous artists in the area and at Taos, about an hours drive from Santa Fe.  You are also about one hour from Albuquerque which is a much larger town with air service and all the big name stores and restaurants.  We stayed at a large park south of Santa Fe, Santa Fe Skies.  This link is direct to the park.

It is about a five minute drive from downtown Santa Fe.  I don't know if this will fit your resort category but I think I could spend some time here and look at what else is available in the area in the meantime. 

Another area with many summer residents is in southern Colorado along highway 160 in the San Luis Valley around Alamosa and to the west.  There are many parks at elevations near and above 7000 feet.  We've not stayed there but have driven through the area several times.  Again, I don't know if any of those parks will meet your definition of a resort.

Ruidoso Coach Ranch, on Hwy 220 half way between Alto and the Airport (Private).  I spent a month there last Summer and was hoping to spend time there again this Summer, don't know if I get a chance.  FMCA Commercial member and coach owner, the live in Midland, TX. during Winter.  Resort is $$$, check it out on Goggle. They have 29 sites on 25 ac. Non are for sale.  Only restriction is Class A's or 40 foot+ Totters !

Carl

The San Luis Valley average elevation is a little above 7500 feet. The summer night  time temps average in the high 40's to low 50's. Humidity is low with daytime temps around 80 give or take a few degrees. Even on a hot day and they are few, get into the shade and enjoy. Largest Alpine Valley in the world. The largest concentration of RV parks are on the western side of the valley, near and around South Fork. Elevation near 8000 feet. Temps even more pleasant

Just one couples' opinion, but Sante Fe is not our choice, although we know a lot of folks seem to like the place. We plan on spending a month or more in the San Luis Valley this summer. If you are a steam train buff, one runs from  Antonito Co to Chama NM and back daily.

Angel Fire, NM-- a little over 8,000'.  Run the RV A/C only a couple of HOURS in August when we spent the summer there two years ago. View from the CG is of Mt Wheeler at 13,159'.  Nice to see snow (in the FAR distance) in the summer!

Here is a new resort: https://angelfirervresort.com/

Angel Fire is where we go to escape the S. Texas summer heat/humidity.

2 hours ago, GiraAmerica said:

My wife and I are thinking of escaping the heat of South Texas and spending the summer in the mountains of New Mexico. We would like a resort type facility for a two or three month stay. We travel in a 40 ft DP. Any suggestions.

If you can look a little further west there is some nice weather in the Flagstaff area. A couple years ago we were in Phoenix and it was HOT 112-114 the weather forecast the hi in Flagstaff 72 the next couple of days. We went to Flagstaff the next day. I would use RV Parkey to find a spot.

Bill

Glad I found this. We are planning a trip in June to Roswell NM sight seeing along I-40 from TN (headed down I-81 to I-40 from PA) and possibly back on the same route looking for recommendations. I also mentioned to my DW about maybe heading into CO from NM. nothing in concrete yet but any experiences would be appreciated.

Also considering an alternative route for the return trip and sightsee along that route back to PA.

I would try to work my schedule to spend a night in Amarillo. You need to go to The Big Tex Steak House.:P Not so much to try to eat the big one but they have good smaller steaks. We like Oasis RV Resort, 2715 Arnot Rd, Amarillo, TX 79124, myrvoasis.com, (806) 356-8408. Just down the access road is The famous art installation Cadillac Ranch Cars, 13651 I-40 Frontage Rd, Amarillo, TX 79124.

If you go north to CO. from NM. it would probably be on I-25. Great spot to spend a night because of the view is Raton Pass Camp & Cafe, 46020 I-25, Raton, NM 87740, ratonpasscamp.com, (575) 445-8500. 

The RV park is at the top of Raton pass. You get off the freeway then climb up to the park.:D

The views are what you come west to see.

Bill

Bill, went on this route in July 08' stopped at the Big Texan, parked the coach down the street at a Amarillo Ranch RV park. We took their limo back and forth to the Big Texan (at the time we didn't have a Toad). Most likely do the Big Texan again, we had fun with that! Took the kids shopping Cavender's Boot City down the road also, bought them boots and hats :lol:, my youngest wore those boots to school until they were worn out. She told me last night that she wants to go back to the boot store. We also stopped at the Cadillac Ranch on the way home.

Oasis looks like a nice place to park for a day, maybe two and explore the area.

Don't know the names but there are 3 RV Parks in Eagles Nest, NM. There is a beautiful lake and it is close to Philmont Boy Scout Ranch, Angel Fire and Taos.

Herman 

Rocky Mountain Oysters at the Big Texan are excellent. If you don't like them,  I will refund your money.🤑

9 hours ago, jleamont said:

Glad I found this. We are planning a trip in June to Roswell NM sight seeing along I-40 from TN (headed down I-81 to I-40 from PA) and possibly back on the same route looking for recommendations. I also mentioned to my DW about maybe heading into CO from NM. nothing in concrete yet but any experiences would be appreciated.

Also considering an alternative route for the return trip and sightsee along that route back to PA.

Just in case you are interested, a trip to Roswell, NM will be the least interesting thing you have done in a very long time!

Bill/ Tried to tell Joe quite awhile ago, the same thing. Have delivered in Roswell several times. Boring and way out of the way to view anything that is even remotely pretty. An absolute waste of a short vacation. Sorry but t'is the absolute truth. The only people that live there can't afford to move somewhere else , or are stuck with familia obligations.

2 hours ago, BillAdams said:

Just in case you are interested, a trip to Roswell, NM will be the least interesting thing you have done in a very long time!

:lol: DW isn't laughing, I am :lol:. She's an alien geek. She just wants a picture. So from what I'm reading I'll keep the Jeep running while one of the kids jump out and take her photo and off to something else

I think this is the "resort" we stayed at, but it has been over 5 years and I wasn't keeping records. Red Barn RV Park, 2806 E 2nd St, Roswell, NM 88201, redbarnrvparkroswellnm.com
(575) 623-4897.

This was an overnite place for us. DW found it and they said they had 2 pull throughs. When we got there they had us pull around the "Barn" and head into the wall, the front bumper was about 2 foot from the wall. When we left they opened a door in the wall to let us out onto the hiway. I guess you could say it was a pull through.:P It was a tight opening and my mirrors over hung the opening/top of the fence on the way out.:o Just part of the adventure.

Bill

Bill, I'll park the coach and drive in with the Jeep, no problem. Maybe drop in on Roswell and off to some other place.

Any ghost towns or old Wild West towns around within a few hours?

Joe.  I'll meet you at the Elks Lodge in Roswell, and show your DW the sights (not many), we'll stay overnight at the Elks, water & electric and dump if you need it next morning $20, be my guest as I'm a Elk.  They have a nice lounge and restaurant with really good food.  Then I suggest coming with us to Circle B RV Park in Ruidoso Downs for a couple of days...we'll go 4 wheeling to all the Billy the Kid hide a ways and old petroglyphs, got a couple of old "ghost" towns and mining camps in the back country.  Not going to write a book about NM and CO here, but will give you lots of info in person after a great "Prime Beef" dinner! :lol:

Linda and I will be in Ruidoso the first weekend of June for our annual 2 weeks, before heading to Cortez, CO. and then Gillette, WY.:) 

Joe/ while delivering at Roswell Harley Davidson, I noticed two little green people standing in the shadows. Quickly snapped a pic with my   phone, but they are like ghosts. They don't show in pics. 😎

They also are not all green...Pink and Purple also!  Wonder why they all have black eyes?  You would think, IF it happened once, they would have a return visit.:blink::wacko:

I think it is interesting that now that everyone has a phone with a camera both still and movie the numbers of sightings have really gone down. I wonder why that is.

Bill

BS don't show up on digital?  Like no more pictures off Nessie or the missing link in the woods or snow?  Lizard man has disappeared in the swamp of antiquity! :lol:

8 hours ago, manholt said:

BS don't show up on digital?  Like no more pictures off Nessie or the missing link in the woods or snow?  Lizard man has disappeared in the swamp of antiquity! :lol:

:lol:

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:58 AM, jleamont said:

Joe,

Have you and the family thought about visiting Carlsbad Caverns?  We stopped there a few years ago and had a blast.  Also, on your return trip you could drop down to I-10 from Carlsbad and visit San Antonio, Fredericksburg (Nimitz) museum and the NASA in Houston.  Then weave your way north towards Memphis and Nashville.

Blake

Blake, never heard of the caverns. Just passed that onto my DW, thanks!!

We detoured to San Antonio in December 2013 spent a few days there while Dallas was under ice. We had a good time touring the area.