GiraAmerica

Summer in New Mexico

Question

My wife and I are thinking of escaping the heat of South Texas and spending the summer in the mountains of New Mexico. We would like a resort type facility for a two or three month stay. We travel in a 40 ft DP. Any suggestions.

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

Blake, never heard of the caverns. Just passed that onto my DW, thanks!!

We detoured to San Antonio in December 2013 spent a few days there while Dallas was under ice. We had a good time touring the area.

Welcome Joe!

And, if you take the southern route and head north-ish through Houston you can hook-up here for a night or two.  We probably will be under construction then but will find a safe spot for your rig.  I might even throw on a brisket or Santa Maria style tri-tip.

Blake

Blake.  For that you might have more company than expected...LOL.  Don't worry, wrong time of year for us, try October or March, April, May...I don't do 110 in the shade or snow on the ground..:lol:

On 10/9/2017 at 6:58 AM, jleamont said:

Glad I found this. We are planning a trip in June to Roswell NM sight seeing along I-40 from TN (headed down I-81 to I-40 from PA) and possibly back on the same route looking for recommendations. I also mentioned to my DW about maybe heading into CO from NM. nothing in concrete yet but any experiences would be appreciated.

Also considering an alternative route for the return trip and sightsee along that route back to PA.

Joe, if you decide to try Carlsbad Caverns, then drop further south to Fort Davis, Texas and check out the McDonald Observatory.

http://mcdonaldobservatory.org/

I agree.  Stay at Ft Davis State Park and from there in the toad, visit McDonald Observatory.

If you are hikers, in the SP, follow the trail west to the peak and look down into the restored (NHS) frontier era Ft Davis.  The trail down is not technical, but might want someone to drive the toad to town, as the roundtrip/hike back up can get VERY LONG.

Quite often, deer and other wildlife will walk right through the CG.

Don't know the schedule, but the Fort Davis NHS Fort hosts re-enactments.  We happened to be there for one of them and it was thrilling to look down the thousand feet or so into the fort and see troops in period dress marching much as they probably did 150 years ago.

Brett, thank you!

anyone have experienced off of I40 onto TX60 to 84 to NM70 into Roswell NM. GS trip planner is routing us that way

Brett, does the state park accommodate larger motor homes? We have given some thought to stopping there on our way home next spring. We plan to visit Presidio and Big Bend.

Roland

16 minutes ago, rfsod48 said:

Brett, does the state park accommodate larger motor homes? We have given some thought to stopping there on our way home next spring. We plan to visit Presidio and Big Bend.

Roland

Yes, they do have some pull through large sites.