jeff753

Allowing Towables Vote At Indianapolis In July

Jeff, funny you mentioned that! I cannot even locate a single notification that went along with the post. My guess is this post will be next :ph34r:

Doubt censorship.  The system was down, and probably required a restore from a previous backup which did not include the thread.

Let's call a Diamond a Diamond.  This post was deleted on purpose!  I know, or think I know that it was not Brett that did this!  It then had to be someone in FMCA that ordered IT to delete it. :(

I'm not fond of censorship! :angry:

Carl

Unmask the name. We need to convene a Senate committee to look into this matter immediately.  Sounds like some tom foolery behind closed doors for sure. :ph34r:

Hea wasn't someone looking for Art Bell maybe he knows if it is some sort of alien 👽 conspiracy theory 

56 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

The Russians hacked us.:ph34r:

Bill

That calls for a different Senate investigation. If this keeps up we may run out of senators and will need to call on the the likes of you and Carl.

WOW, I am tempted to let the speculation RUN WILD.

But, not into FAKE NEWS. Already asked and answered (last Wednesday).

http://community.fmca.com/topic/10766-where-did-the-discussion-go/

As posted last Wednesday after the "disappearance":

OK, my fault as Moderator.

The last three posts on this thread were personal attacks-- both not allowed and not conducive to the discussion.

As most of you know, the software for the Forum changed this week.  Good job to staff for getting us back up.

So, in my attempt to delete the three personal attack posts, the whole thread disappeared.

I immediately e-mailed my contact on staff to see if he could "resurrect" the thread, while deleting the personal attacks. The delete/e-mail was sent at 5:07 Cincinnati time.

After their working all weekend on getting us back up, I do NOT expect an answer tonight.

Again SORRY.

Brett

So, please feel free to start a new thread-- but, let's keep the personal attacks out of it!

Thanks, Brett but now that you've indicted yourself another Senate investigation must take place just to make sure you're telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have it first hand that WildeBill will chair the committee. You may think about legal representation as I smell a Watergate type investigation. How many minutes of a taped conversation did Nixon delete?  Think about -  a complete conversation (thread) deleted. BTW, I can get you a deal on legal counsel for a small finders fee. :rolleyes:

On edit....no personal attack intended except I'm not sure Bill is the right choice to chair the committee, but I can be bought.

Bret you are forgiven for fessin up to an honest mistake  now good luck with the rest of the jury 🤦‍♂️

I have no idea what the original thread did or did not say but I would vote NO, no towables in FMCA.  Doing so just makes FMCA "another" Good Sam business.

Too bad there was a good conversation going on here about it. Maybe it can be restored. 

My previous point on the deleted thread was allowing towables is perceived as a solution but it's not the first solution in my opinion.

Next time you're in a RV park and see a motorhome; ask them if they have ever heard of FMCA?.  I'm surprised how many have not.   I think our "member solicit member" approach has missed entire generations of motorhomers  

Over 50,000 new motorhomes hit the road last year. With our current membership at 70,000 we must be missing the vast majority of this group too.

I'd suggest a focused membership drive instead of bringing in towables. I've also spoken to a few of our coach vendors who are also opposed to the merger  

I tend to agree. We have not worked effectively to promote the club. Like I said before something as simple as rewarding members for recruiting new members would surprise you. You recruit 3 you get a free rally, 5 members you get 50% off your annual dues 10 new members you get a free year. Something as simple as challenging each member to recruit 1 new member during the year. If just 50% did this it would mean 35,000 new members in a year. FMCA could have some recruiting tools available for chapters and clubs to hand out.

What was the growth last year?  

Last Summer we stopped at the Amana Colonies RV Park & Event Center. There was a big FMCA rally going on while we were there. I thought I would see if anyone tried to recruit me. I walked the dog around the whole area several times and just strolled buy. Only a couple people spoke to me. NO ONE mentioned what they were doing there or anything about FMCA. 

Bill

As memory serves me, on our recent trip I talked to 7 people, 2 were young. One had a FMCA goose egg and didn't have a clue what it was. The previous owner left it. None of them saw any value in belonging to FMCA. Everyone of them did belong to Good Sam as I recall.

Brett.  Yes, I do remember your post about the three deletions!  Like Joe, I too have a dislike and zero tolerance for personal attacks!

Kay. Right on!

Towable's is such a wide open field, and other than camping in a park, I have nothing in common with that group...I can't walk up to a guy in a trailer and start a technical conversation.  As I stated in the disappeared post, I do have friends in fifth wheel trailers and some cost three times my coach, what we have in common has nothing to do with what we camp in...they also do not wish to join FMCA and can't understand why FMCA wants them!

As I mentioned in the above linked "where did the discussion go" thread, I am recent, "younger" member having yet to reach the age of 50 (by several months still), which I feel makes me old enough to see the benefits in some of the things the FMCA offers or tries to offer, yet young enough to see why many of these things don't appeal to the younger generation.

The more I think about it, the big things the FMCA lacks as it is currently is timely information flow, and accessibility.  This is not just limited to things like advice columns in magazines in the era of step by step youtube videos, but also the lack of the way other important information is conveyed, for example the times and locations for upcoming rallies and events.

As I mentioned in my previous post I read through the magazine with an eye towards what appeals to the younger generation, and perhaps the thing that may have been glossed over is the underlying fact that the younger generations don't read special interest magazines, just look at any newstand (if you can find one), and you will see the only magazines on the shelves are the mass media drivel, and the few special interest magazines that are still around are a withered ghost of what they once were 20-30 years ago. 

Younger people, particularly those with school aged kids, have many demands on their time, they can't take off for a week or more to attend some national RV convention hundreds or thousands of miles away from home, particularly if it falls during the school year and is located no where near other popular tourist destinations.  These youngsters, both the parents and the kids seem to have activities planned for every hour of every day, months and years ahead of time, as such to get event participation from them it is very important that events be announced as far ahead of time as possible, and that these events be more accessible and in locations where activities can be combined with things that are fun for kids, not just a list of places that sound like they are the destination for a school field trip. 

As I see it for us; I love the comradery on the forum and I enjoy reading the FMCA magazine. That's all it has to offer us at the present time. Camping discounts in the future above the GS discount would be huge to the younger crowd. Most campgrounds don't even know what FMCA is let alone offer a camping discount for members. I agree, rallies don't work when you have kids in school, believe me I have been trying for 4 years to make it work, cant seem to do it.

What is it going to offer a family with a trailer, think about it?

Tire program; NOPE, no tires in those sizes from the manufactures offered on FMCA.

FMCA Assist; Maybe, but most likely the spouse would have the campground put the trailer in their storage area and drive the vehicle home.

FMCA magazine; articles would have to change drastically, and the magazine would become much larger which would inflate the cost of it.

Forum; NO, its free to anyone that takes the time to sign up.

Rallies; Maybe, but most trailer people would be in the same class as I am with a family at home.

Anyone got anything else??

I am not apathetic but I must say that I am neither for nor against towables belonging to FMCA.

My MH has a motor whereas towables do not but they have a motor pulling them. Then we get into the MH accessories, lights, refrigerators, microwaves, ovens, jacks, slides, satellite systems, etc., and so, so many are common to all types of RV's.  Yes there are subtle differences like Electrical Management Systems.  All of these can be a topic of discussion, or, the discussion can revolve around the lifestyle of RV'ing.

Like I said, I am neither for nor against towables in FMCA.  I'll live by the decisions of the masses and I'll vote my conscience.  

Regarding FMCA Assist. From what happened to one of our friends a couple months ago, that benefit is well worth the yearly dues.  If anyone wants information on that, just ask.

Not mentioned is the is the logistics of how do you park these things at FMCA rallys, Many drivers are fine heading forward through pull thru spaces many can not back one up on a bet. What would have happened at Chandler if they were part of that scene? 

Bill Edwards