jeff753

Allowing Towables Vote At Indianapolis In July

On 5/9/2017 at 7:15 PM, BillAdams said:

I have no idea what the original thread did or did not say but I would vote NO, no towables in FMCA.  Doing so just makes FMCA "another" Good Sam business.

I completely agree! I joined this year for the unique experience of motor coaches only. I'm already a life member of Good Sam, if FMCA allows all types of RV's in, there is no logic to paying dues to FMCA. This may be my first, and last year in FMCA if they open up to all types.

We had a reservation for Indy, but had to cancel; DW's surgeon says she is still unable to travel that far, and we live in Bloomington???

12 hours ago, HayesFamily said:

Be careful what you ask for because we like to eat! LOL. 

I didn't say I was going to feed you, just that the door is always open.

However, I do know the places to eat and especially the "All you can eat Catfish"

====================

Consider that there are many similarities between towables and motorhomes. Water heaters, refrigerators. generators, converters/inverters and many more.

Threads could be separated by specific category of RV and if a member does not wish to partake of that category it is their choice. 

I'd like to see the present benefits stay and also possibly expand to other good benefits. Adding the towables would give a boost to the financial pocketbook of FMCA.  Not going to cost the present members and their affiliations a nickle more.

You fellas aren't reading the proposed articles and the proposed constitution. They have removed the words "motorhome" and or "motorcoach" and have replaced it with "recreation vehicle". Now with zero definition of what would be constituted as a "recreation vehicle" I can join FMCA with my boat, my motorcycle, my airplane. There is nothing that defines what a recreation vehicle is!

The verbage cannot be changed before the GB votes to accept the changes to the documents, we have to vote them they way they are presented. So, in a campground  get ready for a boat with a goose egg on it parked next to you

1 hour ago, wayne77590 said:

Consider that there are many similarities between towables and motorhomes. Water heaters, refrigerators. generators, converters/inverters and many more.

Threads could be separated by specific category of RV and if a member does not wish to partake of that category it is their choice. 

I'd like to see the present benefits stay and also possibly expand to other good benefits. Adding the towables would give a boost to the financial pocketbook of FMCA.  Not going to cost the present members and their affiliations a nickle more.

Except it dilutes their control over the organization, and once you start down that path there is no stopping it, and if towable owners flock to the FMCA then by sheer numbers given that something like 5 towables are sold for every motorhome it becomes easy to forecast the existence of an organization that no longer caters to motorhome owners.  After all why have features that only appeal to 1/5th of the membership, the logic says it would be far better to cater to the commonality, and hence you get another Good Sam club.

iRV2 is a for-profit business and, in my opinion, a poorly run site.  If you do post something a moderator does not like or you disagree with a policy they ban you from the site rather than allowing a differing opinion.  There are some who can do or say whatever they like and if you try to challenge them you are banned.  It is a very heavy handed site so anything that they perceive might effect their earnings is deleted or the poster banned.  I was a long time user before it was bought out but now you have to be one of the cool kids and do as you are told.

23 hours ago, dons2346 said:

You fellas aren't reading the proposed articles and the proposed constitution. They have removed the words "motorhome" and or "motorcoach" and have replaced it with "recreation vehicle". Now with zero definition of what would be constituted as a "recreation vehicle" I can join FMCA with my boat, my motorcycle, my airplane. There is nothing that defines what a recreation vehicle is!

The verbage cannot be changed before the GB votes to accept the changes to the documents, we have to vote them they way they are presented. So, in a campground  get ready for a boat with a goose egg on it parked next to you

Yup, a Razr is a recreational vehicle.

What amazes me is than none of the hierarchy have anything to say on this thread to agree or dispel the thoughts and ideas presented here....I have my canoe ready....B

On 6/21/2017 at 0:18 PM, hermanmullins said:

Keon,

How old are your kids? Have feed three boys through their teens.

When we finally got them out and on their own, we could then afford a motor home. 😁

Herman 

Babies are 8 and 19

On 6/23/2017 at 8:22 AM, RSBILLEDWARDS said:

What amazes me is than none of the hierarchy have anything to say on this thread to agree or dispel the thoughts and ideas presented here....I have my canoe ready....B

I would like to issue a Challenge to ALL the Directors who will be voting on the proposal to allow Towables...

I challenge each Director to read all the postings on this subject, giving each comment careful consideration, and posting a note that they have actually read these comments and sign their name and title within this thread certifying as such.

I don't want their opinion, I just want to know they are listening !

hyco2000.

We read, we post and under our name we list what we have...what kind of Qualifying Coach do you have?

RSBILL, is referring to the Executive Board members, not National Directors!

Carl 

If you didn't/don't vote using a ballot then your opinion here is of no value there.  I have to assume that the fix it in and FMCA has already decided that their best option to keep their business in business is to accept membership from any breathing person no matter their status.

Per Carl that is correct, the executive Board should be commenting and they are silent, are they listening is the big question. I too believe that the MCA will become less relevant over time. and the magazine even more so even more quickly. I joined the FMCA because it was coaches and not trailers or towables. The interests are greatly different and do not mix the same way and are expressed differently. It is gonna be what it is like it or not... and I think decided already, like it or not. I will be very supprised if it does not pass. 

Forgive me I just jumped in this (Just don't have the stamina to read all 11 pages) but honestly, I think the writing is on the wall - or rather the home page of FMCA with the "under construction" banner.  I think that towables will be allowed and it's already a done deal.  Personally, we joined about 2 years ago and liked the idea of a motorcoach only organization.  I'm glad I'm attending the Indy convention.  May be the last true MH convention. Once towables are allowed the balance of what will be offered will change and at least half of the offerings will have to be geared to towables.  Since I've never attended a convention, I'm guessing that there are not a great deal of children about.  With the addition of towables, more families, more kids (in and out of display vehicles much like at any rv show).

1 hour ago, LCHammer said:

honestly, I think the writing is on the wall - or rather the home page of FMCA with the "under construction" banner.  I think that towables will be allowed and it's already a done deal.  Personally, we joined about 2 years ago and liked the idea of a motorcoach only organization.  

Once towables are allowed the balance of what will be offered will change and at least half of the offerings will have to be geared to towables.  

I hope you're wrong, but suspect you are correct.  Most folks won't thing about why they joined FMCA in the first place; what made it different from the other RV organizations.

We joined because it was motorhome-only.  Not because we dislike towables, but because there are some issues that are motorhome-centric and we appreciated having an organization focused on this and able to be an advocate for it.  We will vote "no", and see what the final vote is.  If towables are allowed and the overall focus is diluted, we won't renew.  Good Sam already gives us much more in the way of discounts; Escapees gives us an outstanding mail forwarding program.  There will be nothing compelling us to remain members of FMCA if it alters its charter.

That said, the organization does seem to need a fresh point of view.  Most of it seems geared to the over 70 retiree base, and there are many of us who are much younger and have chosen a motorhome rather than a towable. 

Michelle

Every business needs to have a "Unique Sales Proposition" (USP), something that makes them unique in their field, something that makes them stand out from the crowd...

Does anyone on this forum think that if there were a half dozen manufacturers of shiny, tube like, travel trailers, Airstream could charge $150,000 for their trailers ?

People that buy Airstreams pay extra for the uniqueness of Airstream, they like the style and the "Retro" feel of Airstream.

FMCA has a "Unique Sales Proposition", they are the "Premiere" (and ONLY) Motor Coach Association in the US (except for brand specific coaches). FMCA needs to Capitalize on their USP and market that which is special to the organization, not dilute their Uniqueness by becoming "Just Another RV Club"!!!!!

I realize that FMCA is facing some financial pressures, mostly due to the loss of their magazine advertising revenue. BUT, it is a FANTASY to believe that by allowing towables, thousands of New Members will Magically appear to fill your coffers.

Granted, it is tempting to look at 80% of the RV market and feel like you are missing out on potential revenue from that market, BUT, Most of the 80% ARE NOT GOING TO JOIN ANY CLUB !!!!! (beyond Good Sam because of the discounts at Camping World).

A much smarter approach (which has been previously suggested) is to focus on getting more of the Class "B" and "C" owners to join FMCA. If you want to attract a younger demographic, focus on benefits that the younger demographic want (like the defunct Verizon Hotspot plan). The FMCA Assist program is a Great Program, but, it attracts the Older Demographic.

Financially, the organization needs to change to reflect the new reality of lower revenues, NOT Fundamentally change the composition of the organization by loosing their "Unique Selling Proposition".

Note: I intentionally posted this comment on both threads to maximize impact.

Sorry folks but allowing towables is not a done deal yet. The changes to the documents have to be approved by the GB and then sent to the membership. If any of the documents get shot down by the GB, the issue is DEAD. If it does get to the membership, you will have to vote with the ballot in the magazine. If you don't vote, and vote NO then you do not have a ***** when towable are let it.

The way the documents are being presented to the GB, pretty much  ANYTHING can become a member be it a boat, motorcycle, seado, etc. There is nothing that defines what a recreation vehicle is in any of the documents.

By the way, FMCA is not about to go broke as some are talking about. There are those that are preaching the "sky is falling" just to garner votes for "recreation vehicles". How many of you have requested a quarterly report from FMCA? How many of you have requested a copy of the annual audit? I can probably count the number with one hand.

This discussion has gone quiet the last two weeks.  Any news about the "FMCA Remodel" coming from the Indianapolis Convention?   We motorhome owners who were not able to attend the convention due to career obligations (like me) or other reasons would like to know the path forward for FMCA.

The proposal to change to FMCA for recreation vehicle owners was passed by the Governing Board and will now go to the Membership for voting.  I believe they passed it so that the Entire Membership could have a say so in the decision. 

My hope is that there is a better number of votes then the last time. Less than 10% voted the last time. 

So my commit is to "either vote or not complain about the results."  

Herman