jeff753

Allowing Towables Vote At Indianapolis In July

1 hour ago, rpelatt said:

Does anyone know which month's edition the ballots will be included?

Excellent question.

I  e-mailed FMCA's Publishing Director and got this reply:

Hi, Brett,

The ballot will appear in the September, October, and November issues, with a deadline for returning by mail of November 30, 2017. I’m guessing more communication will take place with members, but I’m not sure what the plan is. Chris’ first day back from Indy was today so we haven’t met.

The ballot will be in 3 issues. Sept., Oct and November. The total count should be available the end of December, if all goes as planed.

Last I heard was you could copy the ballot and each coach has 1 vote, just before leaving Indy.

There is a description of what tow-able requirements  will be in the information along with the ballot.

Rich. 

1) I just received a lengthy survey from FMCA about the logo for the Perry convention.  How can that be so important to warrant a lengthy survey, but the direction of the FMCA organization is not?

2) Where can we see the wording of what the board passed?

Edited by mjbeharry
hit save too soon.

1 hour ago, wolfe10 said:

Excellent question.

I  e-mailed FMCA's Publishing Director and got this reply:

Hi, Brett,

The ballot will appear in the September, October, and November issues, with a deadline for returning by mail of November 30, 2017. I’m guessing more communication will take place with members, but I’m not sure what the plan is. Chris’ first day back from Indy was today so we haven’t met.

Thanks Brett.

Bob

15 hours ago, mjbeharry said:

1) I just received a lengthy survey from FMCA about the logo for the Perry convention.  How can that be so important to warrant a lengthy survey, but the direction of the FMCA organization is not?

2) Where can we see the wording of what the board passed?

You might be able to get the exact wording that was passed on the FMCA website.. We did not change a single word in any of the documents as presented. the wording that was changed was from "motorhome" or "motorcoach"  to "recreation vehicle". If you can't find the original proposals presented, just find the documents (articles of incorporation, bylaws, and constitution) and substitute the words.

Having now returned from the Indy rally and being disappointed at best I guess we will be railroaded into a new direction. I guess this calls for a new name as FMCA will be out of date, therefore I'm suggesting a new name "The Good Fam Club". Sorry Marcus. 

Just my opinion,  I feel that the Governing Board did the right thing . By their passing the Amendment they sent it to the entire membership to vote on the issue.  

Each of you that have been so vocal on the issue, now is your chance to be heard.

I am anxious to see just how many members will take the time to actually fill out the ballot and mail it. Last time there were right at 700 votes mailed in,  that is less than 1% of the Membership

FYI the ballots will go directly to a independent firm to tabulate the votes and present the results to the Executive Board. 

Herman 

If any of you belong to a chapter, take some blank ballots to your next campouts. Have those assembled, fill out the ballot and then you can send them in one envelope. It is legal to make copies of the ballot and have them filled out. Just remember, only one ballot per F#.

So, you have a chance to collect ballots at three campouts before the deadline.

Will the voting only be by 1920's era paper ballots OR will FMCA use 21st century on-line voting with real time voting results?   A paper ballot buried in an upcoming paper version of an upcoming Family Motorcoaching magazine is a clever way of assuring very few folks actually vote.

25 minutes ago, fagnaml said:

Will the voting only be by 1920's era paper ballots OR will FMCA use 21st century on-line voting with real time voting results?   A paper ballot buried in an upcoming paper version of an upcoming Family Motorcoaching magazine is a clever way of assuring very few folks actually vote.

Also easier to fudge the numbers

5 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Also easier to fudge the numbers

It is my understanding that ballots will be returned to an independent third parts-- enough said!

On 7/26/2017 at 9:27 PM, hermanmullins said:

Just my opinion,  I feel that the Governing Board did the right thing . By their passing the Amendment they sent it to the entire membership to vote on the issue.  

Each of you that have been so vocal on the issue, now is your chance to be heard.

I am anxious to see just how many members will take the time to actually fill out the ballot and mail it. Last time there were right at 700 votes mailed in,  that is less than 1% of the Membership

FYI the ballots will go directly to a independent firm to tabulate the votes and present the results to the Executive Board. 

Herman 

How many members are aware of the proposed change?  I was surprised to hear only 30% of the 72,000 members are represented by chapters/national directors. Makes sense though. Chapters are mainly older established groups.

Maybe an announcement of the upcoming vote on fmca social media would help spread the word of the question being asked.  

1 hour ago, fagnaml said:

Unfortunately our bylaws do not allow for on-line voting. We will make it very obvious on the front cover that an important vote is in that particular issue.

28 minutes ago, jeff753 said:

How many members are aware of the proposed change?  I was surprised to hear only 30% of the 72,000 members are represented by chapters/national directors. Makes sense though. Chapters are mainly older established groups.

Maybe an announcement of the upcoming vote on fmca social media would help spread the word of the question being asked.  

We will be doing an announcement on social media, and are considering sending an e-blast out as well.

Why not change the bylaws to allow for online voting now?  

Show the younger generation that FMCA is progressive and move forwatd into the 21st century?

FMCA's Policy and Procedure 1000 states the conditions to change the FMCA Bylaws. Proposed amendments shall be received by FMCA no later than January 1st of the the year the proposal is to be considered by the Governing Board.  Adoption of the proposal requires a 65% affirmative vote of the Governing Board.  There are several more details in P&P 1000, but the above are the basics.

At best it would be the next governing Board meeting at Gillette before consideration of electronic voting can be stated in the FMCA Bylaws.

I am pretty sure the last Presidential elections was done without any internet voting so I am not sure comparing paper ballots to any other form of voting would be compared to a 1920's era.  When you can vote for your local Congressman on-line, then come back and complain about the progress.  In the meantime we still have to deal with "hanging chads".

No matter what side of the issue you are for, everyone should be concerned about everyone getting three ballots and that photo copied ballots are acceptable.   The several national organizations I belong to either send a ballot pre-printed with your name on it (attached to the monthly magazine) and you return it to  third party that certifies the ballot  and tallies the vote or you are given a specific logon and password to vote online.   Doing the vote in an impartial and open manner will go far to restore integrity to the organization.   If the they don't and the vote is close then it will be another black eye for the organization and loss of more members.  

Of course, if you have to put your F (or S or D or L) number on the ballot, there would be no question. This AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE. One vote per FMCA number!

12 hours ago, rmatteucci said:

No matter what side of the issue you are for, everyone should be concerned about everyone getting three ballots and that photo copied ballots are acceptable.   The several national organizations I belong to either send a ballot pre-printed with your name on it (attached to the monthly magazine) and you return it to  third party that certifies the ballot  and tallies the vote or you are given a specific logon and password to vote online.   Doing the vote in an impartial and open manner will go far to restore integrity to the organization.   If the they don't and the vote is close then it will be another black eye for the organization and loss of more members.  

In the past,there was a  vote of the membership needed, I don't remember what the occasion was, probably the constitution. Each F# was sent a ballot and an addressed stamped envelope to return the ballot in. Guess what? Those returned amounted to about 1,000 members. Can you imagine  the cost of that failure? .It is a fact that if something doesn't directly affect a member, they don't care and won't take the 5 minutes to fill out a ballot or spend 45 cents to mail it back

Our family is very disappointed with the outcome of this vote.  Our member number is F6648S and I have been involved since my parents joined in 1976 or 77.  The main attraction then was about families gathering, but more importantly having the common interest of motorhomes. At that time, some motorhomes were manufactured, but many were being constructed by individuals.  There were at least 4 engineers in the Cardinal chapter who had constructed their own coaches from the chassis up.  The common interest involved issues that arose regarding maintenance, design and ideas, in general, about the motorhome lifestyle.  If membership is all about the benefits then I don't need to be here.  We have never once, in our 14 years as members, paid our dues questioning what special benefits we receive in return.  We are members of two chapters, to which we pay dues and rally fees strictly for the benefit of promoting those chapters.  We don't expect anything in return.  Somewhere through the years the leadership has lost sight of this and moved to the selling of benefits.  I cannot imagine the motivation of this change other than the self-preservation/promotion of the leadership because it is certainly a bash to those of use who wish to maintain the common interest of motorhoming.  Please do not take my view as being an elitist, because that is not my view at all.  If I owned a TT I would want to be in a TT club or association.  If I owned a corvette I would like to be in the National Corvette Owners Association.  I may also be a member of the AAA but for a totally different reason. I realize that the economy or age demographics has resulted in a lower membership level for FMCA.  To me the association should be downsized accordingly to meet the current need levels.  A Studebaker has not been manufactured in decades yet their national association has not opened the membership to the Hudson owners. I really have no need to maintain membership in two clubs as Good Sam is already meeting our needs as a camping club.  Going forward I will be anxiously awaiting the opportunity to join, or assist in organizing, a National Motorhome Association.   

You should not be disappointed....YET.....as no vote has taken place.  Once the inevitable happens, then you can be disappointed.

Well said Shelton!  I couldn't agree more!  I, too am from the old school days of FMCA (f3508s) where the organization was more about chamaradie than benefits.

Each rally back then was about seeing the new features someone added to their converted coach, or helping a newbie learn how to fix or understand something with their rig. It wasn't about catered dinners, or organized entertainment.  I bet you know what the YES/NO card was for!

(Everyone was given one of these cards with yes on one side and no on the other.  If you displayed YES in your window, you were accepting guests, and anyone could stop by for a tour of your coach or to chat.)

If FMCA is losing money, or dipping into savings to make ends meet, then costs need to be looked at and reviewed.  Throwing out the primary purpose of the organization is not the solution.

Chris Guenther

F3508s