jeff753

Allowing Towables Vote At Indianapolis In July

With this thread already 15 pages long and the title out of date (Indianapolis is behind us), let me suggest that someone start a NEW TOPIC.

Perhaps: Allowing Towables: Upcoming Vote By All FMCA Members.

Then we can let this old thread either die a natural death or just lock it with reference to the new thread.

And, if you made a particularly compelling argument on this thread-- either for or against, perhaps copy and paste it into the new thread.  That way those researching the subject before voting will see reasoned discussions on the issue.

Thanks,

On 8/2/2017 at 10:55 PM, manholt said:

Dons.  A variation of a Earth Roamer.  Deep pockets will get you anything! :lol:

jimnorman.  I didn't think I had to go into detail...apparently I should have.  There are towables out there in the one million dollar + class, that have most of what you state they don't have.  Talk to a Newell rep...yes, Newell makes Custom 51 to 55 foot, fifth wheel trailers.  Several others do the same.  Then there are horse trailers that will nock your socks off. :P

Manholt,

Yes, there are incredibly expensive all inclusive Towables out there, but be honest, how many? Let us look at the average MH vs the average towable. MH has an engine, transmission, genset, automatic or semi-automatic leveling, steering gear, air suspension, (OK, not all) a large windshield, and requires specialized support for all. The average towable has none of the above.

There are 8.9 million 8,900,000 RV owners out there, if even only 10% 890,000 are MH owners we have only attracted about 5% of our target audience!  So with this outstanding success in attracting members from our target audience, why do we think that going up against Good Sam will bring in many new members?

I would suggest MAYBE a middle ground, an associate membership that is valid for a non-owner to see what we are about while contemplating the purchase of a MH. This class of membership would have a couple restrictions, it would not be a voting membership and it would sunset. You could not remain a member more than  years, 5 seems a good amount, without the purchase of a MH. Also you would not get a traditional FMCA Member Number and would not be entitled to the Goose Egg.

Brett, in response to your suggestion, the fact that so many have expressed an opinion is of itself telling of the importance of the subject. If we close this thread we may loose the history of the discussion. Future comments may look to be out of context. Also as long as this continues there will be no appearance of interference in the conversation as there was earlier this year. I know that e all want the process to be open, or in current PC transparent. Please do not suggest anything that would open the door to the type of comments that suggest interference The best interest of the membership is served by all urging that everyone vote their belief and that we all remind our fellow members of that need. 

hobart,

I understand your concern.

My fear, and the reason I brought it up is that there are many who are likely to come to the Forum (many for the first time) after they see ballots and articles in the FMCA Magazine over the next few months.  People who genuinely want to explore both sides of the issue.  People who have not been party to this 15 page long discussion. 

And, while there are some truly excellent "white papers" in the thread, I fear that 15 pages of posts is not likely to be reviewed. Additionally the title is well outdated.  Were those who had such well through out points in this thread to post them in a new thread, I believe they would receive more readership.

So, for right now, let's keep this one open, but hope that a new one with some of the more well thought out positions comes to life.

Regarding this thread, might I make a Suggestion? If it is that Indianapolis is in the title, why not change the title to a more appropriate one? Such as "Should A Motor Home Association allow non-Motor Home owners as full members? or something similar that actually states the question?

Jim that is how the Thread was started back in May. If you would like a different title feel free to start another Thread  (post) and give it your suggested title.

Sorry I am not trying to be flipped or condescending. Hope you don't take it that way.

Herman

Thought; drop the word "towable" call it a trailer, that is what it is, king pin or ball hitch it's still a trailer. 

Towable is confusing to some as they call their Toad a "towable".

jimnorman.

FMCA has a, Associate Membership already, for non-owners of a qualifying coach!  You get a membership with an, "A"-xxxxx, mine was A-1905 at one time for a couple of years.  You get the magazine every month! 

Carl,

If I understand it correctly, the category of "Associate Membership" is for former members. To become an associate you have to have been a member with a motor coach and an "F" number. Again if I understand it, as an "Associate Member" you still retain your number (**)  It will just begin with an "A". you still retain your benefit like FMCAssist, the tire program and so on. However you may not hold any elected position at the Chapter, Area or National level and you have no vote on issues such as we have coming up on towables. 

(**) The number issued to you is yours for Life and can not be reissued. However your Children and or Grand Children may use your with the addition of "S" or "D" for Son or Daughter. The same goes for "GS" or G". 

Please someone out there correct me if I have gotten some of this wrong.

Herman

Herman is correct about Associate membership. 

Also the term I used was towable RV, not toads, towable dingies, etc. The article referred to by jleamont is not the norm that MotorCoach and Recreational Vehicle owners would use. Not everything in print is correct. 

Ross.

If Herman is correct, then there is a fine line between, I want my "old" F# back and no, you can't have it, because your dead wife put it in her name!  But we know you two was married and used different last names, so you can have a "A"# until you decide to get a coach and NEW F#.

You think I'm confused?  Still am!

Carl

Before we leave the issue of Associate Membership, Carl have you called FMCA and talked to Membership Services?  If not explain your issue with dates to see if it can be resolved.