rickkey2

Mystery Switch

We have a 2007 Forest River Charleston 400QS and there is a switch in my audio cabinet that has no markings on it and have no idea what it does. It is a black rocker switch that when I push it I can hear a click over on the drivers side and then push it the other way and it clicks again. It is in with my OTA booster and my Dish Satellite controls. I have seen this switch in a picture of a 2008 Charleston so I think it was factory installed. I spoke with FR today and they are looking into it. In the picture it is the switch in the upper right above the OTA booster and to the right of the satellite control. The OTA TV and the satellite work great and the switch seems to not have any effect on them. Sure would love to know what it is supposed to do? 

20170509_094121.jpg

Probably just a spare.  Most just put a black blank in, if you want to add something. you have access to do so.  My coach had the same rocker  switch as yours and I used it to install a LED light.  Same in my bedroom closet, now I can see both sides.

Yep that is scary that they don't know but I popped the switch out and there are wires hooked up to it. And as I said when I hit the switch I can hear a click over on the driver side. Am going to have a friend come by on Saturday and try to find what is clicking possibly a relay? Will probably be a few beers involved in the investigation 🍻 thanks for the reply. 

Sounds like a "salesman switch"...  when switched do your 12v dinguses work?

They generally don't hide a Salesman switch...most salesmen that I have run across , would flip it on and 10 minutes later, forget where it was! :blink:  I'm guessing that it leads to lights or speakers that they forgot to put in or connect ! :wacko::wacko:

Your coach is one of the last units built before the big bankruptcy of the industry!  :angry:

As Herman said. :) 

It releases a secret compartment door that someone else must be pressing on to open while you flip the switch. Behind that door is a very large caliber pistol and some gold bars.

I ought to know. It is what I found in mine. (Yah sure)

It might actually be the on/off switch for the OTA/Cable power.  I have seen this done on a few coaches in the past and since that's where it is located you might see if it effects your TV signal when toggled the other way.  This can best be tested with the antenna down and see if channels appear or disappear when the switch is toggled.

Bill I was thinking on the same lines on my coach I have a old king satellite and there is a switch for booster on the control panel on his it could be that unmarked switch

X3 BillA. Be sure that the helper is sitting in the pilot seat while testing in case it is an eject button, LOL.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies and suggestions on this switch, last year I replaced the old King satellite with the new King Tailgater. The old dish had a power plug on the unit up on the roof and also the coax cable hookup. To use satellite you needed to push the satellite on switch that is shown in the picture ( left of Mystery Switch ) and hold for three seconds and the dish would search for a satellite and lock on, it would only lock on to one satellite at a time. I you wanted to watch channels that are on another satellite you had to hit  switch  satellite . The new dish does not use the power cable on the roof as it gets it's power through the coax cable from the receiver and locks onto all three satellites at the same time. The OTA booster is turned on by pushing the little push button switch on the plate where coax cable comes out in the picture ( lower center ) and when on the little green LED light is on. As I stated both of these systems ( OTA and satellite ) work great and the Mystery Switch has no effect on them. As I said it's doing something because when I toggle it one way or the other I hear a click over on the drivers side and am trying to track it down. It just might be a Dummy switch because this Dummy can't figure it out:wacko:

I did not realize the clicking sound was elsewhere.  That changes things.  It's definitely not satellite antenna related as you already know.  Strange.

It is really strange. It's one of those things that drive me nuts because the factory installed it for some reason but nobody knows why. These things are very frustrating as you well know. I have been following your Inverter issue . Good luck on solving your problem and if I figure mine out I will let the forum know.

I reinstalled and rewired everything today with my inverter.  I will do an update on that thread soon.  Wish me luck!

BillA.  I do wish it will work for you! :)

You was not kidding, when you said it was a long post.:lol:

Mystery Switch Solved:D

Took drivers side panel off to get access to where clicking sound was coming from and had DW hit switch. Found out there is a box about 4in x 6in that says Audio 6/2 Converter that clicks with switch. Got a callback from Randy at Forest River and he said the switch turns the audio converter on and of and that is to control the speakers while you are using the home theater DVD system. We never used the DVD but tried it and sure enough it lets you control the surround sound and subwoofer. Thanks for the feedback from everyone RICK

Glad you found it mine is auto, speakers go to dash radio or suround sound which ever you are using try a movie sound is incredible 

Bill I marked it with my label maker ( Home Theater Surround Sound On / Off ) so the next owner will know. Cost around  0.002 cents worth of label tape, but that's not including the massive cash layout of around $ 40.00 five years ago for the label maker. And also the skill to put the label on straight and somewhere close to the switch.:ph34r::D