prndl

RV Parking at Wall Drug, Wall, SD

Question

Hello,

Newbie here with a question, will be traveling to South Dakota this July and want to include Wall Drug, in Wall, SD on the way to MT. Rushmore.  I'm wondering about the parking and maneuvering space for a 33' Class C with a Toad.   Can anyone Help???

Thanks,

prndl 

8 answers to this question

No problem. There is parking for motorhomes and 18 wheelers. They have signs directing you to the parking. Enjoy the free ice water while there.

We parked our RV there but I don't remember exactly where.  It was easy to find and easy to get around.  It only took a few minutes to realize that we had been conned into stopping to visit a place no one needs to visit so we got something to eat and moved on. The Wall Drug claim to fame is that when they started their business the Interstate highway system was being built and cars were passing them by.  The put a sign out on the highway that "free ice water" was available at this exit.  Free ice water is still available and that's about all!

Oh contraire, I loved the Corn Palace.  There actually was something there!  What did you find to be so great at Wall Drugs?  I really didn't need any more ice water so I ate lunch and moved on to some "actual" attractions like the BadLands!

4 hours ago, prndl said:

Hello,

Newbie here with a question, will be traveling to South Dakota this July and want to include Wall Drug, in Wall, SD on the way to MT. Rushmore.  I'm wondering about the parking and maneuvering space for a 33' Class C with a Toad.   Can anyone Help???

Thanks,

prndl 

Welcome to the forum. The last time I was up that way we stayed at Heartland RV Park & Cabins, 24743 SD-79, Hermosa, SD 57744, heartlandcampground.com, (605) 255-5460

This was a good location as a base camp to drive my toad into the park. I would caution about driving your coach on into Mount Rushmore on 16A. Look at it on Google maps and you will get an idea also I believe that is the road with the small tunnels.

We were lucky to get a place as it was the week Sturgis was cranking up. Keep this in mind as you plan to be in the area. August 4th-13th 2017 = BIKE WEEK

http://sturgismotorcyclerally.com/

Bill 

Parking no problem for even a 40' with toad, just scattered about, adequate signs to direct you. As for the store itself, typical "tourist trap" but the shear size and nostalgia factor make it worth the stop. it is a piece, albeit tacky, part of Americana. 

17 hours ago, BillAdams said:

We parked our RV there but I don't remember exactly where.  It was easy to find and easy to get around.  It only took a few minutes to realize that we had been conned into stopping to visit a place no one needs to visit so we got something to eat and moved on. The Wall Drug claim to fame is that when they started their business the Interstate highway system was being built and cars were passing them by.  The put a sign out on the highway that "free ice water" was available at this exit.  Free ice water is still available and that's about all!

It's not just Wall drugs anymore as it since expanded to many gift shops.  Don't take too long to go through them and you can get a good lunch discounted for veterans.  We were happy to visit there with our RV.