Bungapads

Adding Air Conditioner

I have a 2011 Tiffin Allegro Red 38 QBA (Bunk Bed Model). The unit only has two air conditioners and its not great keeping the place cool in really hot places. Has anyone ever installed a 3rd air conditioner? Is it possible?

Bungapads.  Welcome to the Forum!

Is it possible?  Yes....but not cheap!  We all have problems keeping cool in "really hot places"!  When I'm in a campground, in a area that has high humidity and 90+ degrees with no clouds, I let all my day/night shades down in coach!  I set the 3 zones at 74 and leave!  Good time to go sightseeing, catch a movie or a museum, go shopping in a mall or Home Depot, Lowes.  Leave your slide outs in, until you get back.

Since you have bunk beds, I'll guess you have kids, go where they want to go!   

I try to stay above 7,000 feet in the hottest part of Summer or along the Western or N. Eastern coast line!  I would not spend thousands of dollars to add a AC unit. 

Carl

Yes a third AC can be added and as Carl said, "not cheap". We do as Carl, block out as sun as possible and we use a high volume squirrel cage fan placed on the floor at the coolest location you can find, then point the output end towards where we will be located at about a 45% angle upwards. Theory is, since cold air falls, the coolest air will be on the floor, and our head is where the coolest air is needed, we move the cooler air back up to that level to get better use of it. Also, if you have room for it, the portable AC's are pretty inexpensive, again only if you have room for it, and a place where the exhaust air can be sent outside, a roof vent will work well for this.

Dyson has a portable ac unit that will do about 300 cu. feet, multi speed and quiet, I think it's around $450+/- No venting required.

Carl,

With a unit like you suggest, what happens to the condensation water from the unit? Just wondering. I know that refrigerators have a pan that catches the moisture and is evaporated by the compressors heat. Does this stand alone A/C do the same? 😯

Herman 

9 hours ago, Bungapads said:

I have a 2011 Tiffin Allegro Red 38 QBA (Bunk Bed Model). The unit only has two air conditioners and its not great keeping the place cool in really hot places. Has anyone ever installed a 3rd air conditioner? Is it possible?

There are a number of businesses in and around Red Bay and in other parts of the country that do this modification. Many folks have had it done. Research the question at www.tiffinrvnetwork.com.

Herman, the unit has a condensation water catch basin, a hosepipe can be attached periodically or drained into pan and poured out, some units simply drips directly into the exhaust air vent and it leaves that way. I have yet to see a unit that does not require an exhaust because the heat that is dissipated back into the space needing to be cooled would only rewarm the cooled space. Kingfr, hello neighbor, yep only 120 miles to Red Bay for you and me, and there are many rv repair and upgrade facilities around the country that are capable of making this addition. Depending on the type of roof will determine how costly the addition can be. The wiring can be channeled through the ductwork to the unit making that part relatively easy, also put the thermostat for the new unit in a location that needs to be cooled the worst. Or a standalone unit could be added in replacement of a roof fresh air vent, most are 14X14, same size hole, but this will place it outside of the duct work, and wiring to the unit will hard to hide.

The other issue that comes up, you can only use it when camped and on 50A.  I doubt that you have a 10KW Generator!  Like I said $$$$

10 hours ago, Bungapads said:

Welcome to the forum. What size air conditioners do you have? Make sure your filters are clean. Like others have said, park in shade, keep shades down and limit how much you go in and out. (good luck with that having kids) 

The major problem adding a AC is having the electrical capacity to support it.

Bill

Also take roof covers off and wash out the condenser coils if dirty with polan and dust it will make huge difference 

Actually, clean BOTH the condenser (easier) and the evaporator (more difficult).  But, keeping both clean will certainly help with efficiency/total BTU output.

Things that can help cool you and your coach when parked.

Put foil screen over the windshield. They make shields to fit or it can be purchased at a home improvement store. DO NOT cover side duel pane windows with any reflective material. The reflecting heat will cause the air between the panes to expand and break the seals.

There are window shades that are complete black out shades. They will help reduce any sun light from entering the coach. One that comes to mind is MCD Innovations in McKinney Texas but there are several others that also make very good shades. 

When driving and you don't already have your generator on and the roof airs on, do so when about an hour before you plan on parking for the night. It will give your system a chance to begin the cool down before you hook up. 

If all else fails to cool you down enough, take a cold shower, do not dry off, step out and then stand under a A/C vent. :o May not work but the DW will get a big laugh out of it and forget about being hot.    

Herman

:lol::lol: Dripping wet and a floor fan will cool you down in a hurry also, and you don't have to take a cold shower! :lol:

When it's hot here in the South, I turn my AC (all 3) on early in am and keep them on while driving, also lover my night shades thru out coach...with kids, you can forget that part! :(