tmdo65

Fuel Filter Change 2015 Cummins 8.9L

Need detailed instruction on the procedure to change the Alliance fuel/water separator and the secondary. Recently purchased this 2015 Renegade Explorer and planning a four week trip out west need this info in the event of bad fuel.image.thumb.jpeg.3604afd006af7d9a951271e491337d2c.jpeg

image.jpeg

Your separator should have a button, usually on bottom that you can press and it will allow water to drain out, until your just getting fuel.  Very seldom anyone gets bad fuel these days, just fill up at truck stops that you see a lot of 18 wheelers!

Your engine and chassis is probably a 2014, If you still want details call or stop by a local Cummins Service Center.  You can also get the information on Line.

Have a great trip

Put a pan under it, remove the filter, put oil on the o-ring on the new filter (I use motor oil), install filter. Pump the rubber plunger on top of the housing until it gets hard, at that time the filter should be full of fuel. Start engine.

You might have to swap the bowl on the bottom to the new filter, some come with some come without. O-rings for the bowl should be in the kit.

If you want to see how it should feel when full, pump it prior to removing the old filter.

I recommend buying a second clear bowl.  Install it on the new filter. That way you both have a spare (it IS plastic) and you can do a much faster filter change.

I don't see a ball valve before the filter, so when it is removed, if the level of fuel in the tank is higher than that of the filter housing, fuel will run out.  Can be messy if off for a long time.  And worse, if the level of fuel is in the tank, fuel will run back to the tank leaving you with AIR in the line to purge.

A quick call to your chassis maker with your VIN will get you specifics on the procedure.  I am familiar with the procedure on the 2003 ISL, but no first hand information on the 2014/2015 procedure.