jleamont

Myakka River Motorcoach Resort

Anyone ever stay here or in the area of Port Charlotte, FL? We are booked here next month and I am looking for ideas in the area to explore. We are planning to take a trip over the Edison and Ford Winter Estates as well as Sanibel Island. Here is the website to the RV resort.

http://www.myakkamotorcoachresort.com/

As I recall there is a wildlife sanctuary just north of Sanibel Island. Sanibel has one of the best shelling beaches in Florida, be sure to wear foot protection.

Roland

We were at Myakka River in January  Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.  They had on site activities as well as planned off site functions.  The staff will direct you to things in the area.  they are great and very helpful

Joe.  Have not stayed there!  Don't do $100 per day, anywhere! :blink::wacko: Sanibel/Captiva is a must see and experience that all the women in your life will enjoy,,,also, some really good food.  Get a day parking pass...it will save you a lot of $$$ !  Parking tickets are expensive!  Leave Alli the Gator alone in the Campground ! :lol::P

Carl, up here $80 per night is a bargan, $110 is the average. I saw $100 and for that...wow what a great deal! We are only there for three nights. Then off to Disney for 6 nights then onto St Augustine for 4 nights. I booked here for St Augustine at $50 per night. That made me cringe, you book a CG up here for $50 you'd better have someone standing guard outside :lol::wacko:.

http://stagecoachrv.net/

Joe you really need to come to the Southwest to camp. A really high class (hotoy totoy)<_< Park will be around $60.00 where really nice parks will range between $35.00 and $45.00 per night. Lone Star has Rallies at some very nice Parks and Resorts in The $30.00 range:). Come South young man come South!!!!!:)

Herman

Herman, already looking into it. Waiting for my oldest to go on her college internship in 2018-2019. Also going to update some stuff in the house while the clock ticks for better resale and we are gone! Headed down south.... Narrowed it down to GA or TX. I am confident TX would be better for work as I have 18-20 to go before retirement. My focus area to call home; if you took Irving TX and went 45 minutes out in a circle

What we desperately need in Texas is Expert Mobil RV service...Linda had one come to her house and did what Cummins and Freightliner gave her an estimate of $1,250 + Tax, for less than $650, she got her own Air dryer canister and replaced it herself from NAPA for $178.  Last week she got 2 starter AGM's and 4 house AGM's, She had new Acid's installed in Sept. 16'...they now live in a golf cart and a 50hp tractor!:) 

Joe you should Goggle a cross section of RV park's...:blink:  Same wit house cost :lol:

There is a mobile RV service tech that come to most all SRA Rallies. If I am not mistaken his name is Robert. Rod Sartwell has him service his coach every year at the rally.

I will get his name and post it here. I think you can make an appointment with him so he will have what filters he may need to service your particular unit.

Herman

Over the years Sanibel Island has been featured in articles about gator attacks. Watch your step if you decide to explore off of the main trails. Had two inlaws that lived there for years. They retired handsomely from he school system, and moved to Gainesville.

Good to know, I was wondering about that when I saw the "national wildlife" area on the map. I was considering a local campground, until I saw the photos :blink:. Glad I didn't reconsider. What's that saying, "you only have to run faster than the slowest person" DW's in trouble :lol:

I can carry in FL also, wont end well for a Gator.

That part of FL is not near as bad as Miami or Homestead in regards to doing the Wild Thing!  I never saw a Gator on Sanibel and I was there for 4 weeks every April/May, almost bought a house there until I found out about the local property tax!  Now, Captiva is where the wild life is at...it's attached by a small bridge to Sanibel !

On 5/12/2017 at 8:16 AM, jleamont said:

Herman, already looking into it. Waiting for my oldest to go on her college internship in 2018-2019. Also going to update some stuff in the house while the clock ticks for better resale and we are gone! Headed down south.... Narrowed it down to GA or TX. I am confident TX would be better for work as I have 18-20 to go before retirement. My focus area to call home; if you took Irving TX and went 45 minutes out in a circle

I would look a little further West of the "big" airport. The I-35W corridor is probably one of the fastest growing areas well anywhere. There is tremendous growth all over the area. The I-35E corridor is also going big. I think you are doing it right by looking in the mid cities area. that way depending on where you get a job you are relatively centralised.

Bill

36 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Yup, suburbs are good, I'm not a city person. Ok to visit, but not live there.

I think there are several cities you are going to love. Fort Worth being the main one. Cowtown still has the flavor of a town but has everything big cities have. 

Bill

If you are around gators, just keep the dog close by, the gators love them.:lol: I had them in my back yard while living in Lake City Fl.

When I was stationed at Ft Hood I remember a lot of crawly things that bite in TX.

We are looking to retire there in the distant future...lol.

2 hours ago, DBenoit said:

When I was stationed at Ft Hood I remember a lot of crawly things that bite in TX.

We are looking to retire there in the distant future...lol.

Look at the bright side, now you don't have to get down on the ground and roll around with them. :D

Bill