ztrain

New to RVing

My husband and I are planning our first cross country trip from Houston to the Gettysburg area, traveling up the Blue Ridge Pkwy, then on to eastern Pennsylvania, returning to Houston from there. We have an Allegro Open Road and will tow a CRV.  Can anyone suggest a route traveling 375 - 400 miles a day with recommended stop overs. We have a route  plotted out but are not so sure on realistic times/distances. 

Thank you for your help

Sounds like a great trip and great adventure something only yesterday the wife and I were talking about for a trip next Easter (Blue Ridge Pkwy Portion) - the only issues I see are the 469 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway are 45MPH and the 105 miles of the Skyline Drive are 35MPH.  That means a 400 mile day is going to take about 10 hours not counting any stops and if you continue up the Skyline Drive the 105 miles of it will take close to 4 hours.   Most people plan for a leisurely trip about 5 hours driving  which comes out to be about 8 hours behind the wheel (taking into consideration lunch, sightseeing stops, etc)  for the Blue Ridge Parkway then plan for a 225 (5 x 45) mile day (slightly longer or shorter depending on campground stopovers.   As far as tunnels you should be OK but several you are going to have to take the center lane.   The Blue Ridge Parkway has a milepost type guide so you can see what you like or would pass by and it has listing of some of the campgrounds.  On the Interstates 5 hours gets about 325 miles.   I've made the run down I-81 from Winchester VA continuing to Baton Rouge, LA when the son was in LSU several times in the RV and and the only issue I found was finding a campground near where daily goal of  miles would place me..    Back then I was destination oriented and put some long days behind the wheel on the Interstates.   It all depends on how long you are comfortable driving, what's on the route to see, and where is the next campground.  I do a 30 days summer cross country trip every summer, I first pick the route and then look for campgrounds and more than anything the locations of the campgrounds will dictate the number of miles per day.   Some days I have around six hour drive and others a 4 hour drive.  One thing we learned there is plenty that we will have to pass by and leave for another day.  We have no regrets and note them down for the next trip.

We plan on 250 average a day when on the road (I say road, because we might stay 2+ days in one place on the way).  I have taken the Blue Ridge and Sky way Highway and last time, 3 years ago. it took me 5 weeks to do it.  Can't take my rig on it, more than about 10 miles, so I found campgrounds within about 30 miles and camped for 3+ days, while exploring in my Jeep!  Then I would move 50-80 miles and do it again! I don't go until after Labor Day!  Cool nights, warm days and no problem getting RV space.  Now when the foliage starts to change, I'm out...to crowded!

Carl

I also thing that 375 to 400 mile days is way too aggressive plans, it makes for very long tiring days and too short nights. I recommend slowing your plans down a bit unless time constraints dictate otherwise. That does sound like dream vacation and I hope that you can enjoy it. DW and I also like Carl, try to plan 200 to 250 miles a day even if the destination stay has to be shortened. Happy tales and trails, Kay.^_^

Kay.  Reflecting back, I must admit that age has a lot to do with me and my girl friend slowing down.  Up till 5+ years ago, it was all about the destination, so my cruise control sat at 73 on most Interstates.  Now it's at 63 and the Destination is based upon when we get there, if we get there!  We will have 6 weeks to get from Texas to Indy and FMCA.  Slight detour to Taos, NM and Denver, CO.