Sign in to follow this  
manholt

Alamosa, CO to I-25

Question

12 answers to this question

Nope! Too dangerous! Never been there! Don't dare travel that road! Where have you been?  

It is a wonderful road.! I have written about it several times recently ? Been over it maybe forty or even fifty times over the years. Probably even more. An  absolute peach of a highway. Especially beautiful in the spring with snow up top or late fall with the same!  Elk abound in the fall late afternoon as you climb toward La Veta Pass. Just look to the south.

Would prefer my ashes to be scattered in the San Luis Valley in one of the many pretty locations. To me that valley and roads in and out are almost spiritual. Peaceful. A thing of the past to me.

Thank you, Linda and I will be coming out of Taos, NM (have some business to attend to), then heading to Denver.  Didn't feel comfortable taking Linda up to Angel Fire and connecting with 64 to I-25.

Ya, U.S. 64 east of Taos is certainly doable, but not for ideal for first time mountain drivers in large coaches.

Does have a great view of Mt Wheeler at 13,000+ feet just off to the north.

Brett.  Been there and done that.  But Linda is fairly new to Mt. travel...3 trips up the Alcan does not prepare you for Angel Fire or the back way to Red River.  She has been up Wolf Pass, but in a 32 foot not a 40 foot DP pulling a full size Expedition!

That's the reason to take 285 to 160.

Bill,

Wolf Creek might be 4 lanes wide but it is not for the faint at heart. Been through there in a 32 footer towing a Jeep and a 40 footer towing a Yukon. At no time was there any chance to look at the scenery. :o But Bobbie got to tell me all about it. B)

Herman 

La Veta Pass/ Eastbound it is fairly steep. With an exhaust or engine brake and your guidance, Linda will be OK.

She learned all about running the gears and exhaust brake from Brett, then practiced all the way back from AZ via Ruidoso, NM. :D

If things get out of control, can she snug up to your jeep for additional braking power?😂😄

You want to get to I-25 which makes me believe that you are headed north? 

Too many of you here are TEXANS andyou know flat is flat! I know that Pass, it is long and one should pay attention but living here in this state and dealing with it all the time, smile on my face, makes it joyful heading up and down patiently. It can, those hills, be formidable to  newbies like Linda and you other Texans. Then there is OBED a real driver doing what he likes best...They broke the mold after he was finished...HA HA Go Byron! I am still waiting for a call...B