plapen

Jayco Alante 26Y Driveability

My first posting on this forum so please forgive any faux pas in the following.  We have brand new Class A Jayco Alante 26Y, which we purchased last September, drove it from Michigan back to Angel Fire, New Mexico.  The drive back was at times downright scary as the motor home to walk all over the highway-in fact, it could be described as herding baby ducks!

We did a prolonged search and review of various types of motor homes over the course of 2 years, with a large portion of that research centered on the apparent propensity of many brands of larger motor homes to have the previously described unstable factor while driving at highway speeds.  Presumably, these stories are true at some level as there appears to be multiple brands of after-market devices to address the instability.

It was the research that droves us to choose the Jayco Alante, with it highly publicized JRide.  Well, not sure what JRide is supposed to accomplish, but it did not work on our coach.  Apparently, this is not a surprise to the Jayco manufacturer, because that have totally failed to respond to my email efforts for feed back.

Bottom line, our coach has been in storage all Winter, but we would like to think about traveling this Spring and Summer.  However, I would like to determine if there are devices to resolve the driving issues, or if our situation is a lost cause and take action before this dwindling value continues to grow worse.

We would so much appreciate hearing from anyone who has knowledge concerning the repair on suspension, front-end steering, anti-sway devices, etc.(all of which the Jayco is supposed to have from the factory).  Thank you in advance for any responses that we might receive on this issue.

plapen,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.  Angel Fire is one of our favorite "escape the heat in S Texas" destinations.

I looked up the chassis info on Jayco's website.  One of the issues is an overall length of 28'3" and a wheelbase of 158". This gives it a very low WB/OL of 46.6%. Said another way, there is a LOT of rear overhang.

Two items before you get into aftermarket devices (and there are some very good ones):  Have you weighed the axles and set tire pressure per your tire manufacturer's inflation table for that weight?  Way over or under inflated tires really make any motorhome a handful to drive. You can also help handling and ride by keeping weight forward of the rear axle. 

After that: Robert Henderson is one of the most knowledgeable people on motorhome chassis.  You might look at their website/give Robert a call:

http://www.hendersonslineup.com/

One should do research on handling before considering buying a coach.  Very important is the WB/OL which should be more than 54%.  When I had my coach weighed mine was just at that point and I have a 36 ft diesel pusher.  My coach tracks very good and is easy to drive.

On 5/14/2017 at 8:45 PM, wolfe10 said:

plapen,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.  Angel Fire is one of our favorite "escape the heat in S Texas" destinations.

I looked up the chassis info on Jayco's website.  One of the issues is an overall length of 28'3" and a wheelbase of 158". This gives it a very low WB/OL of 46.6%. Said another way, there is a LOT of rear overhang.

Two items before you get into aftermarket devices (and there are some very good ones):  Have you weighed the axles and set tire pressure per your tire manufacturer's inflation table for that weight?  Way over or under inflated tires really make any motorhome a handful to drive. You can also help handling and ride by keeping weight forward of the rear axle. 

After that: Robert Henderson is one of the most knowledgeable people on motorhome chassis.  You might look at their website/give Robert a call:

http://www.hendersonslineup.com/

wolfe10,

Here's hoping that this response reaches you.  First let me apologize for the delay in responding as I thought I had ensured any replies would automatically be received in my email.

Thanks for the bad news about the body length/wheel base issue.  Somehow, I am not too surprised that I failed to realize this aspect of the finite selection of which unit to purchase since we had no prior experience in owning and/or driving a motor home of any size or brand.  Oh well, live and learn.

I have not done any of the items you suggest regarding weighing and tire pressures.  I did watch the technician at the dealership in Michigan air the tires to 85PSI (all around) and he assured me that this was appropriate for the coach.

Additionally, while I failed to include this in my initial post, about half-way back form Michigan I stopped at Walmart and purchased 1,000 lbs. of animal feed in 40 lb. bags.  This I distributed-as evenly as possible-throughout all of the outside storage bins in the coach.  There might have been some slight improvement in the handling thereafter, but, if so, it was so slight that I could not realistically certify to the fact.

I would like to impose on your generosity further by asking some additional questions.  First, as you may know there seems to be a dearth of motor home service shops in the norther part of New Mexico (I include everything from Taos to Albuquerque).  Therefore, my question is, "is it imperative to seek a motor home shop or would any reputable tire shop suffice."  Further, on this same issue, where might I be able to find a weigh scale with the ability to weigh each tire separately?

Finally, I will give Robert a call tomorrow to inquire of my options for availing myself of his services.  Angel Fire to Grants Pass (1,047 miles) is a scary distance to drive with the squirrelly handling of which I am currently dealing.  However, if this will deliver me a coach in which Carol and I could enjoy traveling, it would be worth the effort.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to educate me on my situation.  Hope to maybe see you on the road someday if I can successfully resolve our current issues.

Yes, first thing to do is verify that tire pressure is correct for the actual weight they are carrying.  I would call the NM highway patrol and ask for their truck enforcement division.  They often carry the individual wheel weight scales to check trucks.  Perhaps you can arrange to meet them at the beginning/end of shift and have them weigh your coach.  In most cases, they are impressed that you want to safely operate your coach and will accommodate.  If that is not available, suspect they can recommend a scales, where you can at least get axle weights.  Post what they are and what tires you have and we can get you to the correct inflation table for your tires. Actual weights will also allow us to advise on weight distribution.

And, chassis issues call for a shop that works on chassis, NOT in most cases an RV dealer.  So, if they work on medium duty/OTR trucks, they should know your chassis.

Just as an add on to Brett's information. When you have the MH weighed, have a full tank of fuel, fresh water and loaded with the normal "stuff" (food, drinks, clothes.etc) you will be traveling with. I assume carrying 1000# of animal feed is not typical but if it is, load that also. :o

If this is a F53 Ford chassis chances are you are in need of a front end alignment. 

I agree, the alignment is set by Ford before it is shipped. Then they build a house on it. Some of the older owner's manual use to say that you should get an alignment after you are loaded like you were going on a trip.

Also as Brett said find out atleast what your axle weights (individual corner are better) are it is better than nothing. In reality you set the tire preshure the same on an axle based on the highest weight of that axle. Said anouther way if your left tier requires more air based on the weight, set the right to the same preshure.

You should be able to get the alignment done locally. I recommend an all wheel alignment that way you know every thing is tracking properly.

Bill

Well, I am still trying to figure out how to receive notice when you guys respond to my inquiries.  Will keep trying so that I can be more responsive to your input, as I get busy with the honey-do list and forget to sign-on.

However, many thanks to all of you who have been generous enough with your time and expertise to chime in on this subject.  I see several thoughts on the why/how/when of doing a proper set-up for our coach, and plan to begin the process immediately.

DB7512; WILDEBILL308; wolfe10:  Your comments regarding front-end alignment just might turn out to be a major point in resolving the handling problem.  I once had a 300ZX wherein I had to get an alignment, and had a very frightening experience on the highway.  The Firestone shop-for inexplicable reasons-had a major glitch in their alignment machine, with the net result that the "toe-in" (pigeon-toed?) on my care was several degrees out from normal.  That very night I had to drive some 200 miles (round-trip) and it was almost impossible to keep the car on the road.  I remember describing the experience as the car "tip-toeing" down the road, with no apparent front-end road/tire grip.

While servicing the battery last week, I noticed a placard pasted under the hood that the unit had received an alignment in accordance with Ford's specs.  However, 1) I have decided to not take their word for it, and 2) follow WILDEBILL308'S suggestion and load the coach before alignment.

Elkhartjim:  No, my deer have long since eaten all of the ballast (corn), but I will load the unit with tools, supplies, clothes, etc. before weighing.

Again, thanks to all of you for your input, and generosity of spirit.  To all, have a great day.

To change your notification settings. Go to Account then account settings, then click on Notification Settings change what you want then click on save.

You can also add your coach info to your signature by going to Signature.

I think the biggest bang for the buck right now is to get a all wheel alignment then weigh the coach and set air pressure  based on weight. Let us know if it helps.

Bill

DB7512; WILDEBILL308; wolfe10:

UPDATE!  On my original posting regarding handling issues for my Jayco Alante 26Y, the following is what I have accomplished as of yesterday.

• Drove to Albuquerque to get work done as nothing north of there (in New Mexico) deals with motor homes
  • Got an alignment [front only as the shop advised that the F53 (16,000# GVW) does not have the proper rear axle for alignment).  Also, apparently, the front-end cannot be adjusted for camber & caster, so only the toe-in adjusted.  Apparently, the toe-in should have beeen 0.05 but was found to be 0.29, and was adjusted accordingly.  Driving from that shop to a motor home upgrade shop, I could really tell the difference in handling stability.
  • Next, had an "F Super" by Steer Safe installed.  The shop also indicated that, 1) the next step-if needed-would be to add rear sway and front stabilizer bars and 2) that since the F53 (16,000# GVW) chassis was not really large enough for the 12' 5" height (wind sail) of the coach, that I might never be completely satisfied with any upgrades

I can report that I was absolutely delighted on the drive home.  Keeping the coach in my lane was no longer an issue, and the few trucks that passed me caused no more Bernoulli Effect than I would experience in my F150 pickup.  Additionally, I deliberately ran my right tires off the "lip" of the asphalt to the rumble strips.  Before upgrades, this would have resulted in a huge rear-end sway/swing and a concerted effort to regain straight control of the coach.

Finally, many thanks to all of you who were so kind to offer your suggestions for resolutions.  I now ask if you might suggest what/which additional steering/suspension upgrades would be most likely to return the greatest bang for the buck?

Not sure what those neophytes among us (me) would do without the generous help of the knowledgeable among us (you.  Please keep sharing your experience.  Thanks.

plapen, Well glad you got it driving better. I would drive it for a while before you do anything else. I do recommend you get it weighed and set your tire pressure accordingly.

Check and see if it has a "panhard rod" if not that would be what I would look att next. The "panhard rod" cuts down on the tail wag.

Bill

On 5/15/2017 at 1:32 PM, desertdeals69 said:

One should do research on handling before considering buying a coach.  Very important is the WB/OL which should be more than 54%.  When I had my coach weighed mine was just at that point and I have a 36 ft diesel pusher.  My coach tracks very good and is easy to drive.

This was intended for prospective buyers not criticism of the current owner.