OLDMARINE

Which Outlet To Use For Residential Refrigerator

I am in the middle of replacing the NO-COLD Refrigerator with a Whirlpool residential Fridge . I have two Outlets in the Fridge Cavity , # 1is from the Invertor , #2 is from Landline

Since I would want to use both , at different Times (Driving/Dry camping, or in Campground plugged in) which outlet do you use?

Appreciate Any Help I can Get . Thanks RAY

IF the inverter outlet has voltage when the inverter is not in the inverter mode, that would be my choice, this way it should automatically switch over for you.

37 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

IF the inverter outlet has voltage when the inverter is not in the inverter mode, that would be my choice, this way it should automatically switch over for you.

I agree, as that means you either have an inverter with "pass through" feature or a separate ATS. 

In plain terms, when not on shore power or generator, the inverter supplies (inverters) the refrigerator from the house battery bank.

And, when on shore power or generator, power automatically comes from that source.

So, what inverter do you have/does it have pass through feature.  And if not, does it "feed" a second ATS?

1 hour ago, oldmarine said:

I am in the middle of replacing the NO-COLD Refrigerator with a Whirlpool residential Fridge . I have two Outlets in the Fridge Cavity , # 1is from the Invertor , #2 is from Landline

Since I would want to use both , at different Times (Driving/Dry camping, or in Campground plugged in) which outlet do you use?

Appreciate Any Help I can Get . Thanks RAY

I had the same set up. Simple enough to double check. Check voltage at #1 with shore power connected and with it disconnected. The #1 circuit was there to power your icemaker when not on shore power. B) You can run the NO Cold on gas or electric but for the ice maker to work when on gas you still need 110. Made me smile because it made the change over that much easier.

Bill

Thanks for the quick answer, Kaypsmith & Brett.

My Inverter is a Xantrex 2000-- don't know about pass true feature. I assume it does , since everything worked OK all along. Meaning wile traveling the DW could use the microwave or whatever.

Thanks,

RAY

Ray, please check the whirlpool amp draw, you should find this info just inside the fridge door on a spec decal. If over 6 amps, I would not recomend using the microwave while in the inverter mode with only 2000 watt inverter. It should be fine otherwise. If 4 or less, it should be ok to use both assuming that the microwave is 600 or less and not in convection mode.

Kay,

We run our Samsung RF-18 residential on our 2000 watt inverter (MSW) all the time and have never had a problem using our 850 watt Sharpe Convection/Micro Wave at the same time.

Herman 

YEP Herman, your Samsung is 4 amps, and most Whirlpool's are 6 to 6.5, also both of these amperages are startup amps  ie maximum. The Samsung usually peaks at 1.5 during the normal run stage while the whirlpools normally runs very near 4 amps while just normally running. These measurements were from test about a year ago. Newer Whirlpools may be more energy efficient but this industry is usually not too fast changing. 2000 watt inverter is about 18 amps total so your total running load needs to stay below that otherwise the inverter will not enjoy as long lifespan. Most Inverter manufacturers boast that 2000 watts is good for 4000 peak watts, but what they are not boasting is the fact that time is usually less than ten seconds, some of the better brands are good 30 seconds, and the best brands 60 seconds. Also take into consideration that there usually other items that don't use a lot of amps but they do use some.

No RR is going to draw too many amps for a 2000W inverter (16.6 amps).  Most microwave/convection oven setups are 1000W or less (8.3 amps).  If there is too much draw going on on your inverted circuits it's going to be the microwave plus something other than the fridge kicking in at the same time.  A running fridge uses less than 2 amps and the startup amperage (4-6 amps) has to be compared to the inverter startup wattage of 4000W (33.2 amps).  I used a 2000W MSW inverter for many, many years without any issues related to my RR fridge.  What I don't recommend is using ANY microwave/convection oven with a MSW inverter but they work quite well with a TSW inverter assuming you have enough battery storage to handle the huge draw.

I want to thank everybody for your Input. I have watched all the conversations now for the last Year or so on the Topic of RR conversion. I already added 2 more 6 Volt Batteries (now 6- 6Volt batteries). This is in hope to give me enough power on a overnight stay, so that the generator does not start in the Auto Start Mode.

The fridge is a Whirlpool 19.7 cu/ft French door, and as per data Plate draws 6 amp, but that's startup Mode .The coach is a 2010 Phaeton.

I had checked several coaches at last Rally in Chandler AZ and a lots of Manufacturers used Maytag RR with a 6 amp Draw and 2000 Watt Inverter .With that in mind and this forum's overall input I hope and feel this was a good choice.

Thanks again to ALL with Your responses. Will let you know how it all works out. Leaving for a trip the 1st week in June.              

RAY

My Whirlpool Gold is 6.5 and Microwave/ Convection is 1.85Kw.  That's why I have 2, 2800 Magnums PSW.

Ray, you should be fine on that inverter as long as the refrigerator will run on Modified Since Wave. That is the same inverter we have for our GE Residential (only pulls 3 amps).

Happy Trails!