Traveling home from Florida in the spring I began to have engine problems. The long and short of it is my 2006 Itasca Ellipse with the 350 hp Cat C7 in pending a new engine in Jackson, Georgia.   It has been at Georgia Truck and RV.   Broken valve caused scored cylinder and broken piston.  Likely a new engine.  Waiting for damage estimate 6 weeks later.  Have extended warranty with Protective Xtra Ride extended warranty.  

Has anyone out there had a similar experience and what has been the outcome?  

Advice is also welcome.  Engine only had 12,000 miles and serviced.  

Thanks. 

magnus, did you purchase coach new or used?  If used, when?  When was it serviced and where, CAT, Freightliner, Cummins, or did you do it ?

I hate to say this, but 10+ year old DP coach with only 9,000 miles = bad news.  DP's don't like to sit around, they need to be driven...how extensive was the Service?  All belts, hoses, filters, was a test strip of the oil and coolant done and then sent in for analyzes, oil change, radiator flush and new coolant ? 

I would like to see a minimum of 40,000+ miles on a 10 year old DP.

Is Magnus your first name or an acronym?  I have a cousin in Norway, Magnus Manholt.  

42 minutes ago, jleamont said:

WOW, that's a new one for me! I would have to wonder was anyone ever inside of that engine prior?

If a Caterpillar dealer had worked on it, very likely Caterpillar Corp would have a record of it.  Call the Caterpillar RV Hotline with the engine serial number and find out its history.

877 777-3126

14 hours ago, magnusrehab said:

Engine only had 12,000 miles and serviced.

Was this the mileage on the coach, or had the engine already been replaced and this is the mileage on a replaced engine?

So, you put on 3,000 miles since you bought coach?  CAT never looked at it.  Is your mechanic a Certified Diesel or gas mechanic?  Just what was done at the time of Service?

I have heard of valve train failures from sitting before, just not on a CAT product. Navistar put out a service bulletin on the issue around 2006. They had a problem with the valves sticking in the valve guides, so the thought was to keep them moving. We had to go and start inventory weekly and let them run 15 minutes and shut them down to move the oil around. Which goes against the theory of a full warm up requirement.

Valve breakage is a very common problem on the C7 and its forerunner the 3126B. However the mileage is usually in excess of 200,000. I have know several that have had the same problem. Almost always the very last valve on the number 6 cylinder. Glad you had warranty because CAT won't help. 

I also have a 2006 Itasca Ellipse with a Cat C7 and bought it used with 16900 miles in 2017. Just lost the engine. It appears a piston ring broke and scored the number 3 hole real bad. The coach just went over 24K miles. Not impressed with Cat engines to say the least. They’re putting in a reman engine vice rebuilt but my tab will also be $21K.