rpstewart

RV Friendly Gas Stations

I am new to FMCA and I just purchased a new 36 foot RV in NY and drove it to my home in GA.

I had trouble finding gas stations where my RV would fit. I am currently having my RV set up to tow my vehicle and we are planning a trip to New England in three weeks. Since I had trouble finding a gas station with only the RV, I am concerned it will be even harder to find a station pulling a vehicle. I see RV's pulling vehicles all the time. Is there some way to locate gas stations that can accommodate RV's pulling vehicles?

RPSTEWART,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I use two websites to choose stations:

http://then.gasbuddy.com/ to identify less expensive stations along our route. Click on "map" in the area where you would first start looking to refuel.  Then scroll along your route-- can cover a day's drive in 2 minutes.

Then copy and paste the address of potential stops in: https://www.google.com/maps . Use both satellite and street view to see if it is RV friendly/you have room to maneuver.

Welcome to the forum. We have to assume you have a gas coach because you haven't filled out your profile or put it in your signature. Brett has some good advice.  Also don't wait till you NEED gas start looking at 1/2 tank no latter than 1/4. This way if you have to pass on some locations you aren't walking. Make notes on which stations (brands) are laid out to give you easy access. I always try for an outside pump. This way you have more room to maneuver as in watch your "tail swing".

Bill 

You have just started driving a large vehicle.  It will take some time to get comfortable handling your motor home in the close quarters you find in gas stations.  Travel centers at truck stops often have more open pump areas.  I would stick to the larger stations until you feel comfortable maneuvering around multiple vehicles and other obstructions.  Look for stations where you can drive straight through for the initial fill-ups.

I've been driving a motor home towing a car for seventeen years.  I've developed an eye for stations that I can get into and out of without having to disconnect.  Now I look more for the best prices not far from my intended route of travel.  Usually low priced stations are grouped together (competition) so I frequently have several stations in the area with comparable prices.  If one isn't good, I'll look at the next one.

As I posted recently, one scraped panel on the motor home isn't worth a few cents savings on fuel.  Until you are comfortable going into smaller stations, stay with the larger ones.

We keep a copy of "The Next Exit" with us.  Has all the fuel stops across the country's interstate system...and notes which are 'big rig' friendly.  Also has eateries and places of interest.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Next-Exit-2017-USA-Interstate-Highway-Exit-Directory/55312807?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2078&adid=22222222222000000000&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10352200394&wl4=kwd-1103028060075&wl12=55312807_10000002159&wl14=the next exit 2017&veh=sem

RPStewart,

FlyingJ  locations offer RV filling islands that will accommodate your RV and toad. We frequent them almost exclusively when travelling. Gas prices are usually her competitive. Sign up for the Pilot rewards card and get further savings. 

You can find the nearest location by simply using the MyPilot/FlyingJ or BigTruckStops Ap. Both are available for Android or iPhone. 

Enjoy your travels...

Hello all,

We're new to FMCA as well so bear with me as I ask questions that may have been answered already. Wife and I will start traveling part time this year in our 34' Four Winds 'Hurricane' (Triton V-10) this year and like the OP I too am looking for RV friendly GAS stations. I see Flying J and Pilot mentioned a number of times in searching the forum but usually in conjunction with diesel fuel topics so I guess my primary questions would be; are Flying J and Pilots good for gas rigs like mine, and are the rewards cards extended to non-diesel customers?  I checked the FJ site and it appears to be geared towards diesel purchases.   If the rewards aren't for anything other than a free coffee cup I'm not so concerned about that as I am being able to find these stations, enter, exit and still have my bumpers on afterwards and get a competitive price for gasoline. Thx!

Welcome to the forum. Flying J certainly sells gas but with a 34 footer you can buy gas at almost any station and most likely at a lower cost.  I have a Flying J caharge card which offers a discount but I'm not familiar with the rewards program.

• I go to https://www.pilotflyingj.com/store-locator/ you can search a location or entire route. On the "stores that have" drop down check the "RV Lanes" box and it will only list those.  These are dedicated RV Lanes, just watch for the signs for where to enter. We have had very few problems with these. Most of the time it is has been from a person fueling then going inside to shop for an extended period. 

Albe52.  Welcome.

Google Gas buddy and you'll find the best price in any State, any area!   As Wayne said, you don't have to look for a Truck Stop for fuel.  I'm 45' + toad, so not much choice, other than I try to stay away from, FJ, Pilot, T/A and Love's...prices are 10 -20 cents higher per gallon, then you get your, "feel good discount", and still pay more, than the Mom & Pop place down the road ! I also stay away now, from Shell, since they only take debit card and cash!  I have a 150 gallon fuel tank.

Almost all FlyingJ locations have RV islands that offer both gas and diesel. A few Pilot locations do too. 

We generally choose FJ when traveling in our 38 ft gasser. 

Download the very heloful :Big Truck Stops App" to view travel plazas near you or by state when planning your route. You can select a station to view services such as propane, RV islands, restaurants, etc.  

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Albe52.  Welcome.

Google Gas buddy and you'll find the best price in any State, any area!   As Wayne said, you don't have to look for a Truck Stop for fuel.  I'm 45' + toad, so not much choice, other than I try to stay away from, FJ, Pilot, T/A and Love's...prices are 10 -20 cents higher per gallon, then you get your, "feel good discount", and still pay more, than the Mom & Pop place down the road ! I also stay away now, from Shell, since they only take debit card and cash!  I have a 150 gallon fuel tank.

Shirler you need to Stop calling me Wayne.

My bad. With a thousand apologies!!!  I could and did think it was Wayne.  :rolleyes: I shall endeavor to do better, in the future, George!  Or was that La Vern?  :D 

Carl, don't fret. It's the best thing that has happened to him today.

To RPStewart,

If you can plan ahead you can view he gas station via Google Satellite map. When I drove a Gasser 1 ton pulling a 21 foot TT I look for those on the road that had a straight (parallel to the road) island.  Made for much easier pulling in and out.

Many of the modern GS's have islands that on the extreme edge can accommodate large vehicles.

13 hours ago, albe52 said:

Hello all,

We're new to FMCA as well so bear with me as I ask questions that may have been answered already. Wife and I will start traveling part time this year in our 34' Four Winds 'Hurricane' (Triton V-10) this year and like the OP I too am looking for RV friendly GAS stations. I see Flying J and Pilot mentioned a number of times in searching the forum but usually in conjunction with diesel fuel topics so I guess my primary questions would be; are Flying J and Pilots good for gas rigs like mine, and are the rewards cards extended to non-diesel customers?  I checked the FJ site and it appears to be geared towards diesel purchases.   If the rewards aren't for anything other than a free coffee cup I'm not so concerned about that as I am being able to find these stations, enter, exit and still have my bumpers on afterwards and get a competitive price for gasoline. Thx!

Welcome to the forum. One handy tip is to use the gas islands on the outside/ end so you can maintain plenty of room for "tail swing". Hear is a good video that explains some of the terms of driving a RV.

Bill