My wife and I will be traveling this fall and will need Wifi for work. What is the best system to have in our coach? And who provides the services? Thank you in advance for any input.

WiFi would be a service provided by the campground where you park.  Do NOT make this your plan.  What you need is your own data service and that will need to be provided by Verizon (best), AT&T (2nd) or Sprint (3rd but still OK).  Most folks either use your existing smart phone as a hotspot (wifi to the other devices in your coach but service provided by you!) or they buy a separate MiFi device that allows you to be on the phone or leave with the phone and the RV will still have internet service.  Do a search for MiFi and then take a look at the topic here about AT&T unlimited service and the Mobley MiFi.  $20/month!

AT&T allows internet connection (data) and phone (voice) at the same time, but not on their unlimited plans. We use our iPhone as tethered hot spots which is faster than wifi connection to our pc's. I have found that I can get data service even when voice is marginal. 

Verizon has the best Nationwide service and this has nothing to do with iPhone or Android hardware.  The 2nd best is AT&T followed by Sprint.  There are also providers like T-Mobile and whatever that Wal-Mart service is called (googled Straight Talk) that can provide reasonable service prices for many users.

You really cannot beat the AT&T Mobley deal from any provider at this time.

Is the Mobley transferable between a car that has Onstar ( no contract) and the motorhome ( 16 Discovery) on the $20 contract?

This has nothing to do with On-Star and will not allow the use of On-Star in a vehicle.  It does not read anything about your cars condition or get any other data from your car.  While the Mobley connects the the OSBII port, it only has 2 connections and they are power and ground.  You plug it into that port for no other reason than to provide power and you can then move it to the RV if you buy (or  make) an OSBII adapter to supply power to the 2 ports that are active on the Mobley (2 and 14, maybe?)

On 5/27/2017 at 1:20 PM, pckey said:

Is the Mobley transferable between a car that has Onstar ( no contract) and the motorhome ( 16 Discovery) on the $20 contract?

ZTE Mobley can be used dismounted anywhere,  with a AC, USB, or 12V adapter all available from Amazon. Diesel pushers and some other vehicles may not have OBI II plug, but the adapter can be used with or without the vehicle. The mobley comes programmed to cut off every thirty minuets, but can be re-programmed to stay on indefinitely. Don't buy your Mobley from Amazon ($179.00), they are for Canadian ATT, will not work with all benefits in USA. Buy your Mobley from ATT USA online,  $99.00 or free with 2 Yr contract.  Not available in ATT retail stores, they can't keep them on the shelf.  Do not be discouraged if ATT customer service people do not know what a Mobley is, they do not have it in their system. You may have a little trouble activating it, due to ATT's ignorance of their fringe products. Stick with it, don't take "NO" for a answer, it's worth the trouble. Be sure to get the $20 per month "vehicle" plan. Make sure you mention installing in vehicle. Mine works great, blazing speeds!

Can someone explain how to re-program the Mobley to stay on continuously?  I actually thought there was something wrong with my unit.  

Thanks

JR

Just open the browser on your computer.  I think the default is 192.168.1.1 and enter the default user name and password listed on the Mobley.  One of the options is to change the time out from 30 minutes to Never.

Bill, not to be dumb what is the SSID and should it be changed? Not real computer savvy.

thanks,

Roland

What is network SSID?

SSID is short for service set identifier. The SSID is used as a name to identify a wireless router to connect to.

Wireless routers have a default SSID when first set up (e.g. "linksys", "netgear", "default") and can be re-named to a more descriptive name (e.g. "CafeWifi") through the particular wireless model's configuration pages.

SSIDs are case sensitive and can be up to 32 characters long. The SSID is also used in the network communication to direct the network packets (traffic) to the correct wireless access point.

I does not need to be changed.  I just like something more personal than a network identifier (SSID) that's something like ATT12345.  It's just a thing but not a required thing.  For me it's called Cat House ATT.  I also have Cat House Sprint and Cat House Verizon.  I always know what network I am using.