punxsyjumper

Air Force 1 vs Roadmaster Brakemaster Systems

Hi Guys,

I could use some advice. Going to flat tow my 2016 Nissan Frontier. As for a braking system I purchased the Roadmaster Brakemaster system while in Chandler. It is still unopened in the box.

I recently discovered the Air Force 1 system and it sounds like a better system (no need to pump the brakes to get the air out).

Should I return the Roadmaster and go with the AF1 or just stick the Roadmaster. Any thoughts and advice is always appreciated.

Thanks

43 minutes ago, ROYBON said:

I have 15k miles towing my Jeep with AF-1 and no problems works flawless. Can't comment on other systems

ROY

Good to know, thanks Roy

43 minutes ago, Duanelin said:

I recomend that you check M&G.  Simple,  to use only hook up air hose Duaneafter installation

Interesting

M&G Engineering braking system is a truly proportional braking system and only requires an air line connecting the MH with the toad. Since we don't know which MH you have this information could be useless. You might consider adding your MH info under your signature.

3 hours ago, punxsyjumper said:

Hi Guys, I could use some advice. Going to flat tow my 2016 Nissan Frontier. As for a braking system I purchased the Roadmaster Brakemaster system while in Chandler. It is still unopened in the box. I recently discovered the Air Force 1 system and it sounds like a better system (no need to pump the brakes to get the air out). Should I return the Roadmaster and go with the AF1 or just stick the Roadmaster. Any thoughts and advice is always appreciated. Thanks

(no need to pump the brakes to get the air out) Actually what you are doing is bleeding the vacuum of the power boost on the brakes. I would do this regardless otherwise the braking force will lock up your toad brakes the first couple of times you apply your brakes.

Bill

1 hour ago, Elkhartjim said:

M&G Engineering braking system is a truly proportional braking system and only requires an air line connecting the MH with the toad. Since we don't know which MH you have this information could be useless. You might consider adding your MH info under your signature.

So is the Roadmaster. 2011 Thor pusher

1 hour ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

(no need to pump the brakes to get the air out) Actually what you are doing is bleeding the vacuum of the power boost on the brakes. I would do this regardless otherwise the braking force will lock up your toad brakes the first couple of times you apply your brakes.

Bill

Thanks Bill

I have had a braking system similar to the Roadmaster, but now have the Air Force 1 which I have used both for more than 50,000 miles each.  I had one failure on the similar system and a lock up the caused complete rotor and caliper replacement on the front wheels.  I have not had any problems with the AF1.  Also, the AF1 is made near Evansville, Indiana, so parts or support is easy to get if you have a problem.

58 minutes ago, rossboyer said:

I have had a braking system similar to the Roadmaster, but now have the Air Force 1 which I have used both for more than 50,000 miles each.  I had one failure on the similar system and a lock up the caused complete rotor and caliper replacement on the front wheels.  I have not had any problems with the AF1.  Also, the AF1 is made near Evansville, Indiana, so parts or support is easy to get if you have a problem.

Good point, thanks

Hi.  I have had them all at one time or another...AF 1 and the M&G system is the best in my humble opinion!  Currently got the M&G.  If you look under my signature, Carl, You'll see what I'm towing and with what.

I am also fond of the M&G system. It has worked flawlessly on 4 vehicles for me. Its one drawback is on vehicles where the Master Cylinder can not be moved 4" away from the Power Brake Booster. They do make a unit to be used on coaches without Air Brakes. It has a air pump to activate the cylinder. Like others it will require a charge line between the Tow Vehicle and the Coach.

Great Braking system, easy installation, and wonderful folks to work with.

Herman 

9 hours ago, manholt said:

Hi.  I have had them all at one time or another...AF 1 and the M&G system is the best in my humble opinion!  Currently got the M&G.  If you look under my signature, Carl, You'll see what I'm towing and with what.

Looks good, thanks

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

I am also fond of the M&G system. It has worked flawlessly on 4 vehicles for me. Its one drawback is on vehicles where the Master Cylinder can not be moved 4" away from the Power Brake Booster. They do make a unit to be used on coaches without Air Brakes. It has a air pump to activate the cylinder. Like others it will require a charge line between the Tow Vehicle and the Coach.

Great Braking system, easy installation, and wonderful folks to work with.

Herman 

I've been looking at the M&G and like what I see. Do they have qualified installers around the country? Thanks for the input.

Also an M&G system owner and love it! So simple and if your coach has air brakes it also the most cost effective. Keep it Simple and you wont have to fuss with it, the coach will keep you occupied with all of the other stuff that breaks :lol: 

I connect the air line to the front of the jeep and the breakaway tether and I'm done.

37 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Also an M&G system owner and love it! So simple and if your coach has air brakes it also the most cost effective. Keep it Simple and you wont have to fuss with it, the coach will keep you occupied with all of the other stuff that breaks :lol: 

I connect the air line to the front of the jeep and the breakaway tether and I'm done.

Great, thanks

Am not sure  about installers other than in Athens Texas. I know they do installation at nationals. 

Give Monty a call at 903-675-2812.

He can answer all your questions. 

Herman 

I installed the M&G on a 2009 Chevy Malibu, a 2005 Jeep Wrangler and 2014 & 216 Jeep Wrangler myself. Like Herman said, give Monty a call with any questions.

I have used the AF 1 system since 2006 with no problems. Purchased at Albany Or rally and the dealer was swamped with installations, so my wife and I installed it in our Allegro Bus and Saturn Vue. We later had the dealer install the MH part in our Country Coach. No air hose to deal with. We mounted two switches under the Vue dash which will turn off items in the Vue (mileage etc, which eliminates pulling the fuse. Added a like fuse in the switch line) and the other will power the AF 1. The AF 1 is a great system

Jonathan K. Snyder

F 256578

1 hour ago, JonathanKSnyder said:

I have used the AF 1 system since 2006 with no problems. Purchased at Albany Or rally and the dealer was swamped with installations, so my wife and I installed it in our Allegro Bus and Saturn Vue. We later had the dealer install the MH part in our Country Coach. No air hose to deal with. We mounted two switches under the Vue dash which will turn off items in the Vue (mileage etc, which eliminates pulling the fuse. Added a like fuse in the switch line) and the other will power the AF 1. The AF 1 is a great system

Jonathan K. Snyder

F 256578

I'm looking at both the AF1 and the M&G

Since we are in the digital age, and have been for some time, you don't need a switch to turn off mileage.

I've had a Brakemaster system for the entire 17 years and 200,000+ miles on two coaches, two different toads.  No complaints, works fine for me.  I have their breakaway system installed as well.

39 minutes ago, TBUTLER said:

I've had a Brakemaster system for the entire 17 years and 200,000+ miles on two coaches, two different toads.  No complaints, works fine for me.  I have their breakaway system installed as well.

Great, thanks.

My only concern with the Brakemaster is its NOT fully proportional. Normally this is not a concern, however in a panic situation that could be the difference from avoiding the crash or becoming part of the crash scene.

Think about it....You slam on the brakes on the coach, the ABS engages, the toad is set to apply only 25% it will push you.

AF1 and M&G are both fully proportional, I slam on the coach brakes with either one and the toad responds exactly the same way. I am also not a fan of drilling holes in firewalls routing cables through an interior, stuff mounted to my brake pedal that my size 12 shoes could possibly bump and knock out of its setting is no good for me. For anyone that ever worked or cars and trucks can relate, there is enough stuff up under the dash on todays automobiles and trucks, when you need to access something for repair that's one more thing that will be in your way. Some new cars also have adjustable pedals, AF1 would be come a real nuisance with that set up.