punxsyjumper

Air Force 1 vs Roadmaster Brakemaster Systems

Good point Joe. Has anyone tried to stop a vehicle with power brakes from rolling when the engine is off. You almost have to stand on the brake pedal with both feet. Not being that familiar with the AF1, but I do know the M&G. When the bake on the coach is applied the same proportional pressure is applied to the Master Cylinder. It did no have to go through the Power Brake Booster to apply pressure to the Master Cylinder.  Many brake system that connects to the brake pedal only satisfies one thing, "It only shows that you have a brake on your tow if ever questioned".

I am sorry, any braking system that must be lifted from the trunk put in place, then adjusted and that it might run down your battery and become useless is just my idea of a good system. 

Sorry,

Herman  

I use AF1 and first was installed on Saturn Vue, then purchased Lincoln MKX and transferred the AF1 to the Lincoln.  After 65,000 miles it is still working.

On 5/24/2017 at 8:32 AM, hermanmullins said:

Good point Joe. Has anyone tried to stop a vehicle with power brakes from rolling when the engine is off. You almost have to stand on the brake pedal with both feet. Not being that familiar with the AF1, but I do know the M&G. When the bake on the coach is applied the same proportional pressure is applied to the Master Cylinder. It did no have to go through the Power Brake Booster to apply pressure to the Master Cylinder.  Many brake system that connects to the brake pedal only satisfies one thing, "It only shows that you have a brake on your tow if ever questioned".

I am sorry, any braking system that must be lifted from the trunk put in place, then adjusted and that it might run down your battery and become useless is just my idea of a good system. 

Sorry,

Herman  

Yes, that was a concern of mine Herman, power brakes pretty much need the motor running to perform properly. Even though when I questioned Roadmaster about it they assured me it was fully proportional and it would apply the brakes as normal. I see now they were not being very honest with me so Roadmaster has not gained any friends in this camp. I did speak with Monty and will be going with the M&G system. I'm also counting on Roadmaster returning my money for their UNOPENED Brakemaster kit. We'll see how that goes.

I have over 100,000 miles on the Roadmaster Air System and have never had a problem. I never needed to pump the brakes. We test the operation before we leave of all lights and the brake system but pumping isn't necessary. The cylinder works perfect every time unless the air hose didn't lock on the receiver.

1 hour ago, PARRISHNM said:

I have over 100,000 miles on the Roadmaster Air System and have never had a problem. I never needed to pump the brakes. We test the operation before we leave of all lights and the brake system but pumping isn't necessary. The cylinder works perfect every time unless the air hose didn't lock on the receiver.

Interesting that on page 4 of your owners manuel it says.

Always release the stored vacuum in the towed
vehicle’s power brake system before towing — pump
the brake pedal several times.
Depending on the make and model of the towed
vehicle, it may be necessary to pump the brake pedal
repeatedly to release the vacuum.
If the vacuum is not released, the supplemental
braking system will apply excessive braking force
when it is activated, which will cause severe tire and/
or brake system damage to the towed vehicle.

Bill

Yep, and that's why I don't use anything but AF-1 or M&G !  I prefer M&G because they are in Athens Texas and 3 hours from Galveston & 2 hours from the Ranch! :):wub:

what is the "Roadmaster Air System"? Sounds different from the OP's Roadmasters "Brake master" system. I believe they only make the Brakemaster (OP's original question) and the "Even Brake" system. Even brake is fully proportional, but you have to deal with an air cylinder on the floor, taking it in and out. My friend has one of them. 

Barry.  Welcome to the Forum!

The link would have sufficed.  Do you represent them in any way?

Is there a recommended weight threshold for installing a braking system in a towed vehicle? Is there a Federal or State mandate to do so, just curious on this question.

Bill Edwards

On 6/4/2017 at 8:12 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Interesting that on page 4 of your owners manuel it says.

Always release the stored vacuum in the towed
vehicle’s power brake system before towing — pump
the brake pedal several times.
Depending on the make and model of the towed
vehicle, it may be necessary to pump the brake pedal
repeatedly to release the vacuum.
If the vacuum is not released, the supplemental
braking system will apply excessive braking force
when it is activated, which will cause severe tire and/
or brake system damage to the towed vehicle.

Bill

By the time you check the brake lights you have bled the the small amount of vacuum in the chamber and everything is ok.

For my Jeep Wrangler I have the Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain tow bar and the Roadmaster Invisibrake supplemental brake system.   My "refinery operations manager" experience didn't like the idea of tapping into my motorhome's air system for the M&G and AF-1 systems and have more connections where an air leak could occur.  During the two years I've had the Invisibrake system it has worked flawlessly.

Here's a link to info about the Invisibrake system --> http://roadmasterinc.com/products/braking/invisibrake/index.html

Nice to converse with a fellow Damon Astoria owner!!

5 hours ago, fagnaml said:

For my Jeep Wrangler I have the Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain tow bar and the Roadmaster Invisibrake supplemental brake system.   My "refinery operations manager" experience didn't like the idea of tapping into my motorhome's air system for the M&G and AF-1 systems and have more connections where an air leak could occur.  During the two years I've had the Invisibrake system it has worked flawlessly.

Here's a link to info about the Invisibrake system --> http://roadmasterinc.com/products/braking/invisibrake/index.html

Nice to converse with a fellow Damon Astoria owner!!

If you hook your air correctly you do not effect the stock air brake system.  There is an air relay valve and a pressure tank which is totally independent of the rear air brake system.  With this system if the brake air line going to the toad is severed it has no effect on the coach braking system.  The air pressure going to the toad is fully proportional.

On 5/23/2017 at 5:59 PM, TBUTLER said:

I've had a Brakemaster system for the entire 17 years and 200,000+ miles on two coaches, two different toads.  No complaints, works fine for me.  I have their breakaway system installed as well.

I have used the BrakeMaster system for 11 yearson in a gas rig.. Had a brake buddy before. Would highly recommend BM!

On 5/22/2017 at 1:42 PM, ROYBON said:

I have 15k miles towing my Jeep with AF-1 and no problems works flawless. Can't comment on other systems

ROY

I have a problem with the AF1 killing my Jeep battery. Have you heard of this?

I have an Equinox and would have that problem if I didn't pull one fuse. Later I replaced it with a switch. You can also fix the problem by adding a charge line from the coach to the towed battery. 

Ok, so now that I am really confused help me out.  I have been using a brake buddy for years. I recently purchased a 2019 Newmar and have a new tow car.  The tow car is a 2015 Escape.  I have the new roadmaster tow bar set up on the old Edge and will be moving it to the Escape.   Many have been talking about the air force one so I started looking at them online.  Now I see just as many if not more commenting on the roadmaster invisibrake system.  It seems that just as many like the roadmaster as the air force one.  One thing I do want is to have the ability to charge the battery while towing.  Had a problem without having that before.  How about some help??

I have removed the Air Force One from my 2011 Equinox and installed it on my new 2019 Equinox. The 2019 requires a charge line. The 2011 didn’t. I have towed the 2019 about 1,500 miles without any problems. Wiring the light system takes longer to install than the Air Force One. 

bsjones1 --

Three years ago I had the Roadmaster Invisibrake installed in my Jeep Wrangler as "process engineer" in me wasn't comfortable adding another connection to the motorhome air system that some other braking systems require.   The Invisibrake system, which does provide a trickle charge to the tow vehicle battery, thus far was worked flawlessly.

I have a Tiffin DP w/ air brakes.  I'm looking to buy a used Jeep Wrangler and it is already outfitted with a Roadmaster Sterling tow system & Invisibrake vehicle brake system.  It is not clear to me if the Invisibrake will work w/ air brakes & what if I am using the exhaust brake?  The Roadmaster web site has a lot of info on brake boosters and that does not sound like air brakes to me.

I was leaning to the M&G system but since the Wrangler has the Invisibrake installed already I am wondering if it will work ok.