Daneast1

Overheating Problem

My 2009 Coachmen CrossCountry 340 turbo diesel randomly runs hot. I have had clutch fan, thermostat, fluid and pressure checked, airflow, radiator fins cleaned. In most cases, when it runs hot and I pull over, let it cool off for 10-15 min, it runs fine for as much as 600+ miles. Had it to two different Freightliner dealers and couple RV dealers. No codes are reflected. Any ideas? HELP!! This has been happening for 14k miles!

When you say, run  hot...does it affect the way it drives?  Shut off by itself? What is the coolant temperature?

Daneast1, Welcome to the FMCA Forum! Cummins or Cat engine?

I have had clutch fan, thermostat, fluid and pressure checked, airflow, radiator fins cleaned.

Did they replace the Thermostat?   

When the engine over heats, are you running on flat ground, up hill or going down hill with the engine brake.. Do you have a side radiator with a hydraulic cooling fan setup?

Rich.

Does not affect the way it drives. I haven't let it get over 218 before pulling over and letting it cool. I think it does have a point where it shuts down. Also, both digital and dash readout agree when overheating. 

Thermostat has been replaced. Doesn't matter going up hill or level. Exhaust brake doesn't affect it. Rear radiator 

Daneast1, Been pondering your over heating issue. Have the Cummins service checked into the possibility of the VGT Turbo sticking at times?  Have you noticed any decrees in acceleration or a hesitation issue. 

Your coach has a 6.7 L engine Rear radiator with a clutch driven fan. Possibilities are a fan clutch issue, temperature sensor issue or intermittent connection, Controller for the fan clutch issue. 

A dirty CAC and Radiator would not come and go, but have they ever been cleaned? 

Rich. 

2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Is it doing a re generation when it runs hot?

Bill

Bill, the coach was built in 2009 - So it should be 1 year before the requirement for the DEF.

Rich.

1 hour ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I was told before DEF you still had to re gen the particulate filter. Might be wrong.

Bill

Bill, Looks like you are correct. So - We need to get more information or at least the driving habits of the original poster. 

• Regeneration while driving (passive regeneration): Vehicles whose routes enable them to run at high speeds typically regenerate on their own. If the vehicle still needs to be regenerated, the driver can simply drive the vehicle at uninterrupted highway speeds for 20 to 30 minutes and the engine will automatically regenerate.
  • Parked regeneration (active regeneration): Vehicles used for urban deliveries typically run at low speeds and may not produce exhaust temperatures that are high enough to regenerate the engine during operation. These vehicles typically require a timely parked (active) regeneration cycle to prevent permanent damage.Takes around 20 to 40 minutes to complete when setting.

Rich.

The above link posted overheating due to mechanical issues - regarding the cooling fan.

This is the last post in a 340 over heating issue and I can not figure out how to cut this out of the post.

A programming issue? If I can attach it would make sense to be able to remove an item. 

Rich.

This is where the thread starts regarding the 340 overheating issue!

In over my head Brett ! Can not figure out how to cut out the middle portion of the attached link(s), that is out of order and not required in the information

Rich. 

Rich.  I have Re-generation on my coach, Dec 09 chassis and 425 Cummins.  It only affects the exhaust temperature and turbo (don't know why on turbo) but exhaust goes from normal 480-560 (depending on time of year ambient temp) to over 1,200 for 12 t0 15 minuets! 

My guess on OP's problem is a small overflow for coolant and a second thermostat that was not changed out.

Daneast1, how long has it been since the radiator was cleaned? Can you see through the radiator if you maybe hang a lamp on the inside and try from the rear of the coach?

The Turbo spools faster during re gen to keep the manifold pressure up for Engine Performance, this is why some have Turbo issues later in the Engines life.