CarlAda

Tag axle Weight

If one doesn't have access to a scale for individual weights, what's the best way to determine tag axle weight using a truck scale.  I can easily access a roadside truck scale in Oregon to get front and rear axle weight, as well as getting one side.  With that information, I can determine tire pressures for front and rear axles, but what I'm not sure how to determine is the tag axle.  Until I can get to someone with individual tire scales, I'll have to determine it this way.  As of now, I'm running pressures according to the placard and the ride is a bit harsh.  Would like to lower pressures to whatever safe pressure I can to help with the ride.  Will be replacing my 7 year old Michelins with Continentals when I get back from this current trip.  

Thanks in advance

Carl

42 foot Country Coach Intrigue 2007

When I was in OR before FMCA convention in Redmond I used one of the state scales after hours. The one I found had a wide open space around the platform. While things were not perfectly level it was reasonably flat and if the numbers had much different than my prior readings I could have run in both directions and with some math done an average. There was no rush as I was on a state road with not too much traffic.

Yes, I have one that will work not too far from my home.  I'm just questioning, is the best way to get the tag axle weight to do as Bill suggested and try to get just the drives on for weight and then just the tag?  Or, is there some odd formula to figure it out with both tag and drive on the scale?  Pretty sure I can do them individually, just want to make sure that will give me a reasonably accurate weight that way.  Just looking for a quick solution until I can get to Henderson's or some other shop that can do 4 corner weighing.

Just drove some rough roads today and jarred my teeth ... currently fronts are at 125# and drive/tag at 105# as per mfr placard.  

No, a formula for tag vs drive axle can be very misleading.  You need to verify what weight each axle is carrying.

Carl, It may never ride as smooth as your Cadillac.:) I know you know but a reminder for others who read this. Even when you have all the individual weights you will still use the heaviest on each axle to set the air preshure for that axle.  When you add 10% for safety (depending on your weight) you may be back to close to what you are running now. I will be interested to see how the new tires affect your ride. Older tires tend to be harder and ride harsher than new ones.

Bill  

Thanks for the reminder, Bill.  Yes, I'm aware and use the 10% margin of safety, as well as basing it on the heaviest side.  The drive and tag are Michelin XZE and replacing with Continentals.  Wanted to go with the Michelin Energy X2A , but  they're on national backorder.  Probably could have waited for availability, as the current tires "look" to be in very good shape, albeit at the 7 year point.  I realize that I can stretch the time up to 10 years with inspections, but I tend to err on the safety side.  I can afford the new tires and the safety of the wife and I, along with the dogs, is worth doing them now to me.  Others mileage may vary, of course..

Spending a few days down in Mesquite, NV then trekking back to Medford next week.  Upper 90's in the afternoons, but I'm off the golf course by then :) and all 3 AC units keep the coach comfy.  We're staying at the Solstice Motorcoach Resort.  I think the original idea for this resort were grand, but have failed to live up to the potential.  It was originally for motorcoaches only, but the economy has likely played a factor in their decision to bring in 5th wheels (and likely trailers) as well.  But it's a clean park with large spaces and a grand view of the city. 

The Cadillac does make for a nice toad :) .... just have to figure out why my charge line has decided to quit charging the battery all of a sudden.  If it ain't one thing, it's another!

I'll report back on the Continentals once I've had a chance to drive them.  

Carla..

Agree with that sentiment...me and mine are more Valuable than stretching the envelope!  7 years is max for me! :P