gaylemarlowe

Road Racing A 40ft DP?

Just got back from a motorcycle trip from Colorado to California and back. On the way back while on I40 near Needles California, we had a rare occurrence. While we were riding at about 80-82 mph, we saw in our rear view mirror a large vehicle fast approaching in the fast lane. Very shortly we were passed by a 40 ft DP of some brand and year and he was doing about 90-95 mph. Windows open, curtains and shades blowing in the breeze and it appeared he was by himself. At the time I thought how goofy this guy was and he must be in one big hurry to get somewhere fast.

That night we talked about it and it occurred to me this guy may have been providing a ferry or transport service to someone that owned the coach. And that got me to thinking about our FMCA insurance. If we had a medical emergency and had to have the coach driven back home by someone, what are the chances that our coach would be treated the same way? I know none of us would want our coach treated in such a fashion, not to mention the hazard he was being to himself and others on the road!!!

Would you long time members weigh in on this?

Not sure any of us know how they would choose a driver.

BUT, I believe you can choose a driver (friend, family member, etc) and they will pay his expenses.  So, probably a moot point.

By personal experience I have had a professional driver pick up a members coach to drive it from Indiana to Florida. A pre-drive safety check was conducted including fluids checked. It took the driver 3 days to deliver the coach which is very reasonable. The firm was Horizon from the Elkhart. Brett is correct that you can have driver of your choice, but you may not have a legal recourse if an accident happens. So far I have not heard any negative comments about the FMCAssist drivers. 

Sorry, but the only thing I got from this Post, is that a DP and a motor cycle were speeding...way above the posted limit in CA on I-40! 

If you were in AZ, then you where both legal, since the posted limit is 80 mph!

Coaches have had a governor in the 86 mph range, for about 20 years now!

bm02tj.  I can't count the times, that I have been over 75 going downhill in  West TX.  There are a margin of safety, on all things...most of the time my CC is on 63, but there are Interstates that I set it at 73 and still get passed by DP's doing around 80.  Prevost and Newell mostly!  We will not talk about mpg! :P

Same here, had a Prevost pass us once like we we're standing still. 

Usually its TT's at 80 plus needing two lanes after to regain control. Most of their tires are rated at 65 :o. We just shake our heads and hope they don't crash. 

Brett: I agree that if you have family or friends to drive your coach home that would be the way to go.. For those few like me that don't, it would certainly be a good idea to consider who the driver or the company is and what their record is. Manholt: If all you got was that I was speeding, I guess you missed the point.

bm02tj.  I can't count the times, that I have been over 75 going downhill in  West TX.  There are a margin of safety, on all things...most of the time my CC is on 63, but there are Interstates that I set it at 73 and still get passed by DP's doing around 80.  Prevost and Newell mostly!  We will not talk about mpg! :P

The point had to do with FMCAssist & who drives the coach!  The rest was just fluff, that we could have done without.:)

This winter in Arizona I had Dave Atherton come up and do a diagnostic check on the Panther, I call him PORSCHE. One of the documents Dave supplied was ' a graph of speed driven" another was "Hours driven at a given speed" both showed 107 miles an hour Can you imagine. I will say that it does not shift from 5th to 6th until after 65 and wants to cruise 70-75. It is a work out to keep it under 70 unless the cruise is on. Beings as it is a low mileage coach it only had 454 hours on the CAT C 12   Fuel mileage on this beast is better than 8.3 at this point and will improve to better than 9.5 with the addition of propane injection, can hardly wait!

The propane thing was very funny, I hope you were just kidding. Since working on diesel engines starting in the early 80's many have tried and failed with that system add on and have tossed lots of money in the can. I was told by some old time mechanics that it was used mainly for more power before turbos and when motors were natuarally asperated and blowers were the only power upgrade available. The diesel then was like oil compared to what we have now. The last customer of mine to try propane was a 2004 C-15 Cat 550hp. After 3 in-frame overhauls in around 100000 miles he finally gave up. He did gain power and mpg but it came at a high cost. just my two cents.

Gary

We used to use WD40 years ago to help start both gas and diesel engines, because of the propane propellant, of course good old uncle Sam stopped that practice by mandating the propane not be used any longer.:P I agree, gas engines yes, diesel engine :angry:NO. All the city buses in B'ham Al, are run on natural gas compressed because of a deal struck with Alagasco.