bdensford

Slideout Problem-- Blowing Fuse

Our 1999 National Tradewinds started blowing the 20 amp fuse when we would hit the button.  It will work one time but then blow it the next time.

Sometimes when it's bringing in the slideout and sometimes when it's taking it out.  Works fine when we change the fuse for one time.  

What to do?

I would do or have done a thorough inspection of the slide and all the hardware. Make sure all the rollers are in good shape and nothing is binding.

Bill

Maybe what should be address is should we weigh all that is put in the cabinets of the side, we are having problems with. Than maybe house clean

do we really need all this stuff?  The thought would be what is the  net weight carrying limit on the side.  Are we over taxing  the design loads for our unit. Matter of fact, I never seen a limit posted anywhere on any literature, for the added weight.

So, if you have not use it in a year, maybe we ought to leave it home.

Most have class A units but if you had a class C of which I do, you monitor weight a little better.

Tim

My first thought would be to look for a frayed wire. With it working one time and then blowing the fuse tells me there is a frayed wire touching something when the slide moves.

Herman

I would disconnect the wire at the motor and see if there is current draw at the fuse when the switch is closed.  Then check the current draw with an amp meter at the motor.  Too high amps could be defective motor or overloaded.  Also check the voltage, low voltage increases the amp draw.

On 6/5/2017 at 8:54 AM, desertdeals69 said:

Then check the current draw with an amp meter at the motor.  Too high amps could be defective motor or overloaded.  Also check the voltage, low voltage increases the amp draw.

Recently had a slider failure, entire HWH system dead. Started checking negative terminals first then positive all OK. Pull the courtesy panel in from of motor pump assembly and started checking fuses. Low and behold one of the fuse holder was burned to a crisp. Unhooked the far end which was the positive terminal to motor and noticed it was HOT after running. Thought I saw some arcing, pulled the motor terminal loose cleaned it, cleaned the terminal to be reattached, and applied electric grease to terminal and re-tightened. Ran motor again, no heat!  Replaced burnt fuse holder with thermal circuit breaker. No further problems.

Moral of story, a loose connection can cause heat that will draw more amps and fry fuses and holders.