tlsistrunk

Noisy Roof A/C-Heat Pump

Our #2 roof air has an intermittent, loud , low-pitched rumble that lasts about 5 or 10 seconds, cycling on about every 30 seconds when the compressor is running.  It is 47000 series Airxcel.  Units 1 and 3 do not  produce the same type noise.  Any thoughts?

I would take the shroud off and have it running and listen to the compressor with a stethoscope that mechanics use to determine where the noise is coming from.  It may be something like a loose mount on the compressor or something else loose and rattling.

Good advice. If you don't have a mechanics stethoscope handy in your tool box try this ole trick I used when I was a mechanic and could not afford a stethoscope. Take a long screw driver and place the blade on the object you want to listen to and put your ear to the handle. You may think you look silly but it works very well. 

Herman

I have used the screwdriver many times.  Place your palm over the end of the handle and put your ear on the back of your hand.  If the sound is coming from the compressor itself, probably the complete unit needs replacing.  Replacing just the compressor is cost prohibitive.

I would also check the amperage draw of that compressor. If it is hi or fluctuates it is probbabley going bad. Check the blower motor too. 

Bill

The day after this post, the fan disintegrated with a loud bang.  Parts penetrated the coil, so I now have a new AC unit.  My coach has coleman 47000 series ac/heat pumps.  Two of the fans (out of three units) have failed in this 15-month old RV.

Sorry to hear you lost your A/C unit. Several questions, what kind and year is your coach? What size is your A/C? This might give your the opportunity to up size your unit for better cooling and better efficiency. Just a thought.

And thanks for letting us know what you found .

Herman