davidsteverson

Residential Refrigerator

Greetings everyone. We have made the decision to replace our Norcold 1200 with a residential fridge. I've read through he messages here and it looks as if Samsung is a popular choice. We have a fairly large space - 71" high and 36" wide with about 30" deep. We hope to find one that is 24" without the doors so we can put it in through the door. We will get a counter depth unit. Anyone have any recommendations for models to buy or have any warnings of what not to buy?

also, originally I had understood that we needed 2 more batteries and another inverter for a residential fridge. I have had several people tell me if we don't boondock - and we don't - that it is not necessary to put in the extra batteries or the new inverter. Any thoughts? 

Hope to see many of you in Indy - we arrive on July 7 to help with parking. David. 

I cannot help you picking a model, but our Samsung RF197(no longer produced) is on it's third year on a XANTREX 2000 MSW inverter, no extra batteries. When on the road we run the inverter and when stopped we use shore power or the generator. If on the generator, we can turn off the frig and only gain about 2 to 3 degrees overnight. Best improvement we ever made. 

David,

We installed the Samsung RF18. Got it at Lowe's It isn't a stock unit but they will order it for you. It is a french 3 door unit. No water or Ice in the door but a very good Ice Maker in the bottom Freezer. You can remove both doors and hinges plus the freezer door and drawer and it will fit through you front door. I had to remove the passengers seat. What I did was make a light weight frame the exact size of the unit and worked it into the coach several times to make sure and got my sons to help put it in. 

As Ross said to works very well on our Trace 2000 watt inverter. I run ours on the inverter 24/7 with no problems. Plus no extra batteries. 

Let me know if I can help.

Herman 

No ice and water through the door?  DW would not accept that after having it in our RV for the last  17 years.  She wants French Door (God only knows why) and most all of the counter depth fridges with the doors off will fit through the door, but it not, it really does not cost a lot more to call a glass company to remove your windshield while you move one in and one out and then replace it.  We did this for my brother-in-law and they have never looked back.

I also have the rf 197 Samsung, been going since 2013, and while traveling it runs nicely on a MSW inverter. Best thing about the Samsung is they are very low wattage which means that your current inverter should be fine. As Ross stated, that model is no longer produced, but my daughter just bought a new 18 foot at JC Penny at a very good price, next best thing is that it is on inverter technology, which means that it is even quieter and uses less current than the ones that are not inverter technology. LG also makes a very low amp unit, but not recommended unless your inverter is not PSW, if it is PSW, be sure to look at those also. Some coaches also have a side window large enough to put a fridge through, which may or may not be an option.

If it doesn't fit through the door go to the emergency exit window, open it up and measure it. I passed one through that and never had to remove any window.