EvansEscapades

2001 Monaco Dynasty Transmission

I have a 2001 Monaco Dynasty. A couple of times now after driving for a couple of hours, when we come to a complete stop the coach will not go forward. There are no codes showing  on the dash. The engine does not rev up when pushing the accelerator and even after pushing the shift buttons, sometime it will go into gear, other times I have to stop the engine and recrank. This seems to "fix" the problem until the next time. Any ideas of what to look for?

Sounds like it could be the engine idle may not be right, either to slow or to fast.

Gary

EvansEscapades, Welcome to an active state on the FMCA Forum! See you joined the forum a few years ago. The group will try and give you some good information pertaining to your request!

The item that you might want to check out is the accelerator peddle unit and the wiring harness connections between it and the engine ECM. There are 3 wires connected to a veritable resistor(pot) that could be getting noise(sending erratic voltages to the ECM. One wire will have 5 volts on it, one will go to ground and the third wire voltage changes as the accelerator is pressed and released -informing the ECM of the throttle request for increased or decreased power. 

Second is a 3 wire connection that connects the Idle reference position to the ECM so it knows the throttle is active signal to the ECM and respond to the throttle or ignore this information because the throttle is not depressed and the engine should be in idle an read the programmed idle speed. 

The pedal location is exposed to dust and ware over time. 

Remember what Gary posted and the TCM and The ECM are talking to each other and if the transmission does not see the proper information it will not respond because of some bad DATA on the Closed area network. Now if the throttle checks out the next thing might be to make sure the network cables and connections are good. The fact that you are not getting a check engine code does not completely take the CAN out of the mix. 

Rich.

Also, query the transmission for diagnostic codes.

Ignition on, engine off.

Push the up and down arrows at the same time.

Repeat.

That should bring up d-1.  If a stored code, it will be a two digit/two digit code.  If -- there is no stored code.

If there is a d-1, hit "mode" to bring up d-2.  Repeat until you get - -.

Turn off the ignition and let us know what you find.

In addition to the mentioned above, make sure if you have a fast idle button on the control panel that it has not been engaged accidentally. Some have one, but not all, so this may or may not apply.

EvansEscapades, does it still roll forward or backwards when you shift into drive or reverse or does it feel like its in neutral? My guess is Rich is spot on with a faulty throttle pedal, I remember reading a common problem with the throttle position switch failing somewhere. If I can locate it I will post back.

jleamont, it acts like it is in neutral although sometimes it will just creep along like it is in idle. **** and Lois would happen to know where the ECM is located? By the way I drove it two hours today with several complete stops and everything acted normal.

2 hours ago, EvansEscapades said:

**** and Lois would happen to know where the ECM is located? By the way I drove it two hours today with several complete stops and everything acted normal.

The Engine ECM is bolted to the engine on the left side as you look into the doghouse -most often under the intake manifold - 2 large connectors that are screwed into the circuit board. one for the injector pump and the other 50 pin connector is for information shared with all the control modules built into the coach.

Rich.