debpilcher@gmail.com

Surge Protector Recommendations

2 hours ago, debpilcher@gmail.com said:

What are the best power surge protector that you can get without  going broke.

Welcome to the forum. I have the Surge Guard portable. I like it because I can check power before I park the coach or check outher spots without moving the coach if one is bad. This is the one I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Technology-Research-34850-Portable-Surge/dp/B00T36QHUO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496890290&sr=8-2&keywords=surge+guard

Trust me not having a good one is much more expensive than not having one or a cheap one.;)

Bill

We always used the TRC model Bill has. The end of last year I bought a Progressive industries from our HR club member that is no longer camping. I like it because it takes up less space on the tower (the TRC would often almost lay on the ground) but what I don't like about the progressive is the plug, depending on the tower it will slightly pull the connection from the tower so I can see all 4 blades, due to the depth the socket is recessed in reference to the base of the tower, I will photo it the next trip. I do like it is able to be secured better. Never had a problem with the TRC and both give you a check when you connect, the TRC you can see both line voltage where the progressive it cycles from one to the other.

Both good and have their quarks.

The key is to have one. I tried to get buy without one when I got this coach. We had spent a bunch getting ready for our first trip and I thought I can get buy without one for one trip. Well one low power event in a campground cost me more in repairs than 2 surge guards would have cost.

I have found that they are well waterproof and have been caught in heavy rain and some flooding where I was concerned that it would be a problem. I had to prop it up on some rocks to keep the connections out of the water but never a problem. 

Bill

Bill, we got burned once by low voltage also (before we bought one). Cost me a new fuse box and ATS and a scar to prove it when I burned my arm on the fuse box it was so hot.

Sometimes I'm a bit slow, the smoke and burning electrical was a great indicator it was going to be hot :ph34r:. Unlike Herman I don't have the shirt from it :lol:

We went with and swear by the Progressive Industries EMS system (hard-wired).  It monitors both low voltage and high spikes and shuts down our coach's electrical if need be.  A great protection item and one that we wouldn't be without. It has saved us a few times.  Well worth the investment.

We have a heavy duty 50amp factory made extension cord and a Progressive Industries 50 amp portable suppressor/analyzer. With the extension cord I am normally able to place the unit in the utility bay. Anti theft and keeping the unit out of the rain is a benefit.

Mine is hard wired and then goes to the Hughes Autoformer  then to the breaker panel, all inside the compartment, no weather or theft concerns.

Should have mentioned it before, we have a hardwired one, I discovered it after I had the 1st 50Amp portable. I have no idea if it works or if its an actual EMS or just surge, made by Eaton I believe. I prefer a reading at the tower that I can see immediately. Maybe in the future upgrade with a screen inside would be nice and sell the portables. My fear when they do their job and get destroyed you are tearing the coach apart to replace it. I installed a hard wired one in the last coach (30Amp) and it only lasted 2 weeks, caught a surge and killed it. After what I went through to do the install on a class C I was sold on the portable units. I keep the TRC at home on that tower and the progressive with a chain and lock in the coach for the road.

I have found so many problems at campgrounds I check the tower with this gadget first. Also used it to prove to a CG maintenance guy they had a problem after arguing with him for 10 minutes and him telling me my TRC was bad and I should just plug the coach in anyway without it since it wouldn't turn the power onto the coach. 

https://50amppowerpal.com/

Bill Edwards used it last fall to help with a tower problem he was experiencing and it found the problem, neat tool to have. Once I found out it talks to you, I had to have one :lol:

Our portable had the surge portion wiped by an electrical storm in Alexandria Bay last summer. Check it daily, especially after a storm. Where are you gonna find something like that in Alexandria, Bay. The return service  was excellent, but the company has a new owner.

I have a hard wired 50 amp Surge Guard and I am very happy.  The price was reasonable and it did the install myself.  The Progressive Industries unit is also very good.  You really can't go wrong with either be it portable or built in.