fagnaml

Navigation Apps -- Which are Best?

Question

I haven't seen nor could I find a discussion about Navigation apps to use during travels near and far.  Google Maps is always a "go to" for directions.  I find that the WAZE app provides better real time info and alternative routes than Google Maps.  What does the forum say about which navigation apps are best?

Info about the WAZE app --> https://www.waze.com/

8 answers to this question

In an RV you have to be careful about using WAZE.  If there is any amount of traffic ahead it will route you through neighborhoods or anywhere on any road without concern for the size of your rig.

I use Google Maps predominately but turn to WAZE from time to time just to see if there is to get around.  I already know where I want to go so I don't need an out-of-date GPS system to tell me how to get there.  I just need something to remind  me that I have a turn coming and help me get into the right lane(s) to stay on track.  Once I get close to my destination, I rely on Google to get me to the front gate.

I had WAZE and deleted it because of what Bill A said. I now use CoPilot and it has worked well. (I don't recommend the one for RV.) The good part is you can download all your maps over wifi so you don't use data. You can set parameters for your RV so it won't send you down inappropriate roads. You can also set it to notify you at set distances before a turn, up to 2 miles. I use it on a tablet (12") so it has a bigger screen than those stand alone units.

Bill 

Curious Bill, why don't you recommend the RV version of CoPilot? I use the Garmin 760LMT, Google maps and Truckers Atlas. Trust but Verify.

I have had several people tell me they weren't happy with it and they wouldn't refund their money. The base(car) version works well and has settings for your RV for less money. 

It is always a good thing to verify any route.

Bill 

Good discussion above and why I asked the "best navigation App question".   I looked at the cost of CoPilot for cars ($9.99 per year) and the cost of CoPilot for RVs ($59.99 per year).  For someone like me who is mostly a 3-4 day "weekend warrior", I struggle to see the value of the expensive CoPilot RV app.  The CoPilot Cars app is an OK cost if RV dimension can be added as I don't want to be one of the "You Tube shows" where a motorhome encounters a low clearance bridge !!

I can't find any Apps beyond Google Maps, WAZE and CoPilot that get good reviews in the iPhone Apps Store.  Available truck navigation Apps get poor reviews.  Any other suggestions except those three?

19 hours ago, fagnaml said:

Good discussion above and why I asked the "best navigation App question".   I looked at the cost of CoPilot for cars ($9.99 per year) and the cost of CoPilot for RVs ($59.99 per year).  For someone like me who is mostly a 3-4 day "weekend warrior", I struggle to see the value of the expensive CoPilot RV app.  The CoPilot Cars app is an OK cost if RV dimension can be added as I don't want to be one of the "You Tube shows" where a motorhome encounters a low clearance bridge !!

I can't find any Apps beyond Google Maps, WAZE and CoPilot that get good reviews in the iPhone Apps Store.  Available truck navigation Apps get poor reviews.  Any other suggestions except those three?

We use the iPhone for trip routing.  I think it is already on the phone.  It even gives current traffic delays by changing the color on the route from blue to red and then to yellow.  We were just on I 70 in Missouri.

We use CoPilot for RV on either a tablet or smartphone. We also use Waze and other apps for routing and weather, traffic, etc. It helps if the real co pilot (in the passenger seat) can do some searching and/or Google mapping to help navigate. I wouldn't rely on just one system, I think using several apps with just one as a guide is what works best for us.