obedb

I-40 Across Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma

Question

Many times across both over the years but not since 2005. How is I-40 this year west bound  across Arkansas and I-40  headed to Oklahoma City?  Been very rough off and on over the years. Want to take both west this year.  

I was hoping things had gotten better. Oh well! We will run I-70 west out of PA and head west on I-44 to Oak City. I-44 was good two years ago; hopefully still is. It is only 88 miles further to the San Luis Valley vs running I-70 west to Limon, CO and US 24 to I-25.  And we can stop at the Big Texan in Amarillo for some Rocky Mountain Oysters. 👌

Better than it used to be but still a bit rough in places.  I would not avoid it these days.  I-10 through LA is still much worse.

There are places everywhere on any road that the road has rough places.;) 

I was on I-40 twice last year and some places are great and some not so great.

Bill

Reason I asked is that 40 was so rough in Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma that refused to take my rig over it. Made my way to Kansas City and then worked my way to Tucumcari NM to rejoin 40. Would never have taken any type of RV over that stretch. So 10 is now a no go? Used to be good from Baton Rouge west.

Baton Rouge West I-10 is just fine but E. of Baton Rouge is really crappy for many, many miles.  I almost prefer 40 over that section of I-10.

We drove I-10 from the I-10 I-20 merge and didn't see any problem going to Chandler. Well the only problem was the extreme crosswind.:o

Bill

Chandler?  Are you talking about West of Pecos, AZ  to Chandler, AZ or somewhere not even close to Baton Rouge?

6 hours ago, obedb said:

Used to be good from Baton Rouge west.

1 hour ago, BillAdams said:

Chandler?  Are you talking about West of Pecos, AZ  to Chandler, AZ or somewhere not even close to Baton Rouge?

Gee Bill, Yes I am talking about roads not even close to Baton Rouge when obedb is talking about roads West as " worked my way to Tucumcari NM to rejoin 40." I didn't know we were limited to just close to Baton Rouge.:P

Bill  

If you are going far enough east of Baton Rouge, completely bypassing N.O., I-12 is a much better road, also about 20 miles shorter than I-10  for those miles, runs back into 10 at the I-29/I-59 junction.

Agree!  Now, back to OP.  I-40 is on/off in AK and fair to poor in OK to 40 miles from Amarillo, TX.  From there west bound to Barstow, CA. is pretty good.

We were on I-40 westbound out of Flagstaff last summer, well beyond Obedb's query.  The stretch from Flagstaff to where the road drops down to the desert is absolutely the worst road I've ever been on in the lower 48.  Alaska holds a special place in the bad roads category and Canada is another country, I've seen even worse roads there. 

All the major roads have areas that need repair. I was on that section of I-40 from Williams to Amarillo in March and there are some rough spots. Just slow down till you get through that area. Next we will have people complaining because they are working on the roads.:o

Bill

Made the run from Calif. to Houston on I-10 and there were no problems, Yes, a few construction zones but those seem to be on all highways.

Time frame was September 2016.

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Wayne.  Try it now!  I am happy they are working on roads again, even secondary's!

It's a new Government!

When's the last time you were on I-45S from Houston?

They have 5 lanes from beltway to Nasa Rd 1 open.

I have travelled I-45 between Dallas and Houston for better than 45 years and someplace has been under construction the entire 45 years and still is.

Herman 

23 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

It's a new Government!

When's the last time you were on I-45S from Houston?

They have 5 lanes from beltway to Nasa Rd 1 open.

You don't really think the "New Government" that has been in place for less than 6 months is responsible for the years worth of work that went into improving I-45S do you?  If you want to thank someone, thank Mr. Obama.

Obedb, I remember crossing the Mississippi River on I-40 being the worst road I had ever been on in my life. That was December 2013 headed to CA, it was so bad it broke the cab loose from the body on My C. That trip is why we bought the DP the following May. You have to wonder how a road can be that bad for that long? Just west of that it was one lane repaving what looked like a road that didn't need much attention, we were on the old surface and I got to laughing how nice that was compared to road we were just on and why the attention here and not behind us where it really needed it.