speck

Replacing TV Antenna Coax Wiring

So on last trip we didn't have any TV reception. Discovered that the antenna coax was broken/cut about 2 inches outside where it comes thru the roof.  Any suggestions on replacing?

Can I pull new cable by attaching to the old cable and pulling the new cable thru. If so should I pull from thru inside to the outside or outside into the inside?

If it's a factory installation then all the wiring is wire tied together and you will not be able to use it as a pull wire.  However, you might be able to access the cable or something nearby.  See if you can estimate where the coax enters the roof and relate that to where on the inside the cable came through the roof.  Is that near anything that is removable or accessible?  The coax runs to the wall plate with the power supply and OTA/Cable on/off button (switch).  You can follow that cable from the wall plate back toward the roof as well.  If you have no way to find a connection between point A and point B you will just need to drop a new cable in a new small hole in the roof and seal it all up with Dicor and a Winegard cable plate.

Speck ,

Do you have a cover over the coax? If so remove it and there should be a larger hole through the roof. I would try pull, just a bit, to make sure it is free. If it is I would connect the old and new and pull from the inside.  With one person on the roof to guide and push a bit and someone inside to gently pull.

Been there, done that and got the Tee Shirt. 

Herman 

I think obedb has the best idea. See if you can splice in a new section of cable and see if that works then worry about pulling a new cable.

Bill

Putting a new connector on the 2" point and then a new cable to the antenna using a barrel connector.  After putting on the barrel connector use that new "plumber's" tape and seal it real good.

Otherwise, tie or tape some good nylon rope to the 2" end and try to pull it through hoping it is not tie wrapped.  It all depends on which fine craftsman thru the cable over the rafters.  When the cable and rope come out the other end tie another cable AND another rope to the rope that was snaked down and pull it back up.  When the cable comes up through the roof remove the rope that was used to pull the cable and new rope up and leave the new rope in place (for the next time - and that will make sure there is no next time.)

I have used the double rope pull several times and it has come in handy not only in replacing but adding new and I always pull a rope back to the starting point.

I would try repairing the broken cable by using waterproof coax connectors.  They have o-rings and are supposed to be water resistant.  If the tv works then I would tape it with silicone mending tape.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  Think that I will try the repair by putting the connector splice in as the first try.  I'm a bit afraid that, as some suggest, the cable may be tied in a bundle and part way through the pull everything will stop.  If the connector thing doesn't work the it will be pulling time.

Having done hundreds of these kinds of repairs I sure would like to hear what you find.  I can assure you that if this is a factory installation you CANNOT use the coax as a pull wire.  It's all assembled in a jig at the factory and wire tied together.

BtllAdams. not sure if it is a factory install or not, it is an older Tiffin (1998) with a crank up Winguard.  I will post my results when I finish.

Okay, so I finally got the materials I needed and got back up on the roof.   Cleaned away the caulking around where the coax goes thru the roof.  Surprise... a plate hiding a connector splice.... job just became much easier.  I disconnected the old piece of cable, ran a new cable from the jack on the antenna head, leaving a service loop on the antenna, and another at the antenna base.  Connected the cable at both ends, applied lots of new caulk and went inside and check it out...seems to work great.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and guidance.

40 minutes ago, Speck said:

Okay, so I finally got the materials I needed and got back up on the roof.   Cleaned away the caulking around where the coax goes thru the roof.  Surprise... a plate hiding a connector splice.... job just became much easier.  I disconnected the old piece of cable, ran a new cable from the jack on the antenna head, leaving a service loop on the antenna, and another at the antenna base.  Connected the cable at both ends, applied lots of new caulk and went inside and check it out...seems to work great.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and guidance.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Kahlua/cream and the hot tub.... climbing up and down the ladder several times found some muscles which hadn't been used for a while :o