I noticed that there has not been much discussion on the Forum about the forthcoming vote to allow towables to join FMCA as Members.

Where does everybody stand on the issue?

Why do you feel the issue should be decided one way or another?

3 hours ago, hyco2000 said:

I noticed that there has not been much discussion on the Forum about the forthcoming vote to allow towables to join FMCA as Members.

Where does everybody stand on the issue?

Why do you feel the issue should be decided one way or another?

Welcome to the forum. Go read the thread Jim has linked to, that should give you an idea.

Bill

Yea, pack a lunch!  You got almost 18 months to read thru!  We are not starting over here.

What happened to the food tread?

Thank you all for the welcome.

Before I posted this question, I did a Forum search and the above mentioned thread did not show up ( I even searched the word "towable" ).

I have read some of the previous thread and would like to hear your fresh comments now that y'all have had time to ruminate on the subject.

Thanks, looking forward to getting to know y'all through the forum and at rallys.

Not everyone can make rallies to vote.  I think it would be beneficial to FMCA to send out ballots to all current members to vote, Absentee ballots.  Would prove to give a equal voice for everyone

17 hours ago, Vegasmailman said:

Not everyone can make rallies to vote.  I think it would be beneficial to FMCA to send out ballots to all current members to vote, Absentee ballots.  Would prove to give a equal voice for everyone

Agree with Vegasmailman, all members need to have a say in this important matter!

If the Governing Board recommends the change, a ballot will be in the September issue of Family Motor Coaching. So every membership will be able to vote.  

Regarding the search function, the current software doesn't have a search function that works anywhere near like the software we were using a few months or years ago.  I think it keys on the key words that a person enters when they start a posting.  It doesn't seem to be searching within posts for words.  Just my guess why it is now so difficult to find previous information.

The answer is easy....follow the money.  The FMCA Assist Program is very expensive.  Very briefly, if you are on the road and have some type medical emergency, it covers emergency medical evacuation/repatriation, emergency reunion, return of dependents, pet return, vehicle return and prescription and glasses replacement.  This is a no charge service to dues paying members.  Greater detail and explanation can be found on line.  The second most costly thing FMCA provides is the magazine.  They have raised the annual dues, but are still losing money.  The only way to stay financially afloat, and keep the FMCA Assist Program, is to generate more revenue and/or reduce expenses.  Permitting towables to join would greatly increase the revenue.  So the bottom line is, if FMCA is going to keep FMCA Assist, towables will have to be permitted to join.  If members do not want FMCA Assist, it can be eliminated and things will go back to the way they were....no towables, no FMCA Assist.

5 hours ago, FIVE said:

The only way to stay financially afloat, and keep the FMCA Assist Program, is to generate more revenue and/or reduce expenses.  Permitting towables to join would greatly increase the revenue.  So the bottom line is, if FMCA is going to keep FMCA Assist, towables will have to be permitted to join.  If members do not want FMCA Assist, it can be eliminated and things will go back to the way they were....no towables, no FMCA Assist.

I don't follow the logic here.  Towable has nothing to do with FMCAssist, and there is no evidence it would "greatly increase the revenue".  Towable owners don't appear to be clamoring to join FMCA, rather FMCA officers are pushing the membership to allow towables to join.

There is still a huge audience of motorhome owners who aren't members or who have never heard of FMCA.  Why aren't more efforts being made to entice them to join?

If the club is opened up to allow other RV types, it becomes nothing more than, and will compete directly with, organizations like Good Sam (much cheaper per year and you get Camping World and Flying J discounts) and Escapees (awesome mail service).  Does the RV industry really have need for 3 similar clubs, especially if there is nothing to set FMCA apart/better than the others?  It would likely dilute the apparent value of the club to motorhome owners who might be likely to join more than 1 club if there were distinct membership benefits, but not 3 if there is no perceived advantage to the third.

It would make more sense to focus on making FMCA a more visible club to the motorhome community (and that's not by advertising within their own magazine or giving substantial funds to a single social media enterprise startup).

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:14 PM, desertdeals69 said:

I don't think there would be more new trailer owners that would join than current members who would drop out.

BINGO!

Spoke to two members last weekend, that was the exact response from both. One told me I was an idiot if I continued to stay a member :o if towable's were allowed to join. The subject angered him, especially when all of the coaches around us had no desire to join as there are little to no benefits for younger families. His number started with a 160, my guess he has been a member for quite some time.

Have any of you been to a rally in the last few months where representatives have discussed and "briefed" the membership? I have. It will pass because of the way it is being sold. Basically if you don't let towables you are mean and you are discriminating against these  people who own towables and that is not right.

I also heard a "unsubstantiated" rumor that the board thinks there will be a mass movement to leave Good Sames because the owner isn't supporting the chapters or interested in them. That is why we need to be ready to welcome them.

This tends to make more sense to me rather than the hand wringing about finances. If it was money if they doubled the reward for signing up new members and promoted it "BETTER" would make more money. If only 50% of the members recruited 1 new member this year that would be a 50% increase in dues revenue or about $1,182,646.  That is 37,500 new members. That also doesn't take into consideration the dues increase.

Personally I don't care if they let towables in. I don't think it is the answer to the "alleged" money shortfall. I also think the attitude of those who claim "they will quit if towables are allowed" is/are part of the problem. Their elitist attitude keeps them from talking to people outside their own click. There are some exceptions. But I have been camping at a big RV park where there was a big FMCA "RALLY" and was never invited to a "happy hour" never approached about joining or what FMCA was even when I asked questions. So if you are one of those threatening to quit, don't let the door hit you on the way out. It will probably improve the club.

Bill

Why,  Bill,  so you think the decision to quit the club is part of the problem if this passes?  It's about return of investment to many people.  Currently we have a club geared toward motor homes, and that has appeal to current members. Allowing towables eliminates that focus,  and makes the club stand against Good Sam and  Escapees.  People will compare benefits versus fees to see what looks better.  Good Sam has hundreds more campgrounds offering discounts,  reduced prices at Camping World &  Flying J. If you look at the benefits Good Sam will appeal to many people as the better deal,  and they will go there instead. 

It's more about making smart financial decisions than being "elitest".

I agree with Scottami. It is all about dollars and perceived value. A lot of members aren't interested in rallys or attending group functions. If the current club ideas get watered down to accommodate nonmotorhomes the common interest for many current members will be lost. Then it comes down to value for your dollar.

Bill where you are in Texas the club is strong but in many other areas it is weak at best. It is a shame but the current management seem **** bent on making a big change that some of us don't think is for the best.

Then change the management team, don't run and hide.;)

"the common interest for many current members will be lost. Then it comes down to value for your dollar." 

"It's about return of investment to many people."

Two nice catch phrases that have no practical meaning. 

How is it lost? You still have the same interest. You still have the same benefits. You still get to post on the forum in what ever category you want to, under whatever subject you are interested in. You can still go to any rally. You have the same benefits as before and maybe more. So explain to me how you are demeaned if they allow towables? The only thing I see is you will lose "status" in some elitist mind set. You will no longer be the elitist in the big motorized coach that belongs to that exclusive club of old white people. :P

Bill

Bill,

I don't remember anyone saying anything about being demeaned. Some of us appear to want a motorhome club and others want a mixed club. It is as plain as that. As far as it being an old white mans club I don't see anything in the current rules and regulations saying that this is what it should be. In my travels I have very seldom seen minority populations at rv parks. On those times that I have they were mostly in 5th wheels or trailers and we were here in Michigan. Most of these campers were weekend and 1-2 weeks per year users. In talking with them they didn't seem to belong to any club or have much interest in joining anything.

I'm sorry the fact that some people will stand back and look at the offerings of similar clubs and decide Good Sam has more to offer than the "remodeled FMCA". 

"Change the management" is a catch phrase that offers no value.  This is being voted on by the current management now.  The officers election is also being voted on now,  but they are almost all running unopposed.  Just how are we supposed to change them before the vote for rules change?

As far as forum,  rv.net has much more traffic and members,  but this one is nice because it is only motor home questions. That would change so there would be more posts to ignore because I don't need to read about lousy trailer tires,  or what size trailer will my truck pull questions. 

Rallies will not interest me when the seminars are mostly about those same things. The vendors shift their inventory to trailer accessories, and the display coaches are mostly fifth wheels.

The benefit I get the most use from is the magazine,  but like the rallies and the forum, it will shift focus over time.  I know your going to site RVIAssist as a benefit, but as a younger working family we rarely get over 100 miles from home so it won't kick in for us much.  

I don't know where your perception of being demeaned or elitist is conning into play. I never said anything about that.  Shoot I drive a 25 year old greyhound that I'm converting myself there's nothing elitist about that.

What I lose is a club with focus in motor homes. 

On 6/18/2017 at 3:14 PM, desertdeals69 said:

I don't think there would be more new trailer owners that would join than current members who would drop out.

BINGO x 2!!!

Throw in the Verizon Data Plan fiasco, and I think there will be a lot of members becoming former members. 

I don't think calling people names Bill will win you any supporters. I joined FMCA less than a year ago because they are a fun group of motorhome owners, who enjoy motorhomes and who use motorhomes and who camp or live in motorhomes and who know a lot about motorhomes and who enjoy talking to newbie motorhome owners such as myself about .... motorhomes.  Do you see my point?  It's about having fun with good friends who all share at least one thing in common and that is motorhomes. FMCA has a long established history and reputation for being a club of motorhome enthusiasts. What other club offers motorhome enthusiasts a place to meet up where the topics are always related to motorhomes?

There are always those that threaten to leave during the national elections few do most use the threat to try and elicit change and express their displeasure. What's more those that threaten to leave rarely do. The magazine is terrific, haven't used the Assist benefit, and would prefer it remain motorhomes. The forum would be like IRV2, diluted. and a lot more to sift through. I agree with TOMAS24

Wow is all I can say. The yes votes are all about money and diluting the site. The no votes are about integrity and pride in owning a home on wheels that can cost 500,000 dollars and the hard work that goes into them and a way of life. I have owned a motor home for 4 years now. I did own a TT.  NO, ITS NOT THE SAME CLUB AS A travel trailer. If it comes down to giving up the assist benefit because that's what pays for this site, then someone is skimming the dues. This site and the board members are becoming just like the political hacks in DC. Reminds me of the endless Political correctness to have open boarders and let everyone into the USA.:wacko: And yes, whoever said FMCA will be just another sams, escapes, rv  are us site is 100000 percent correct. Some A## even brought race into this discussion with the old white people group. Let me say, with that comment, I doubt I want to be a member. That person above in this post should be banned from this site.

Edited by Chasbailey
Misspell FMCA

It is a shame that this proposal of changing to a motorhome/towable club is driving us apart. I use to enjoy this forum for all the information that was willingly presented by those who had experienced similar problems or had more knowledge. We seem to have moved away from that.

I belong to other sites for different reasons, I don't need or want another " me to " site. The verizon deal would have been nice but I have moved on to att mobley. The rallys are not a main focus for me and the assist benefit can be bought in other ways so if we go to all rv vehicles cost will make up my mind if FMCA is for me.

I've been out of the net....the information I posted on 6/18 is from one of the FMCA officers.  There will be a vote to decide the towable membership issue.  If you don't vote, don't complain, regardless of the outcome.