1 hour ago, BillAdams said:

My best guess would be that WAY too many FMCA articles were done on RV's that nearly none of us could afford and not the motorhome that the masses would have interest in.  I read the tech issues, the destination reports and a few others but felt like FMCA was rubbing those expensive palaces in my nose.  "Look!, here's another RV you will never be able to buy!"  I am sure FMCA gets paid by these folks to advertise their products but I would rather have seen more of a  Consumer Reports approach.  This might not play well in the advertising realm of FMCA (you know, FMCA tells the truth and the coach manufacturer pulls all advertising).  It certainly has to be a tough challenge to present at least some of the truth and still get that almighty dollar.

I wish them the best of luck with the new Good Sam format that will be voted on and approved at the upcoming convention but personally, I don't think it's the right decision.  I think the right thing to do is to remain Family MOTOR COACH and fix the problems that have lead to the potential demise of this company.  There are plenty of motor home owners.  FMCA is just not doing what needs to be done to attract their attention.

I agree, Allowing Towables is the WRONG FIX for the PROBLEM !!!!!!

Bill A, well said!! I just turned 45, we have been members for 7 years now. I am disappointed in where this is headed. We joined to meet younger families and learn from the experienced people, like yourself in a group that was motorhome specific. We do meet families at Campgrounds with trailers, they don't travel like motorhome people travel, well not the ones we seem to meet up in the North East anyway. Short trips no more than 200 miles from home, often drop the trailer there and drive a car or the truck back and forth on weekends, that's not for most coach owners, even before the DP when we had a 31' C. we do mostly long weekends with some distance to travel and vacations in the coach. Our trailer friends won't have it, too much bouncing, sea sick complaining, no restroom, cant cook on the road etc..it becomes a burden and not enjoyable. Everyone I have spoke to (friends included) don't see any value in FMCA. They want something in return for their investment in dues, camping discounts, fuel card discounts etc. most are Good Sam members already and get that with them. I feel to attract them FMCA would have to offer steeper discounts and one up Good Sam to earn those customers.

I would love to go to a rally but limited vacation time and two kids it would be a hard sell, not that I haven't tried, it's a work in progress. It would have to be close to home for me to pull that off. 1000 miles away makes it a hard sell.

I recently joined the FMCA... yes, it stands for the "Family Motor Coach Association".. you can't be everything to everyone....so, I definitely agree, and I'm not being an elitist here....it would be diluting the focus of the Motor Coach Association to open this up for everyone.. 

There's plenty of different issues covering Class As, Bs and Cs....

Look, I have a teardrop trailer as well and have had one for over 3 years...I don't look down on people with coaches,  5th wheels, tents or anything else..... 

Those of us who decided, and believe me, it was a "big decision" for me to get a small motor coach... Pretty expensive proposition for sure...  but, we made the decision to do that and I'm glad there's a specialty group for this... but, please don't open it up to everyone because there's just not enough time to give everyone the attention they deserve, articles, rallies, etc. 

Believe me, there's plenty of other groups to associate with....for example, the group of teardrop trailers won't allow others to join their group...they specialize..it makes sense.   

Does it bother me that they are exclusive, heck no....   

The issues concerning teardrop trailers is rather small... And, for the people who think that small  trailers as just going a couple of hundred miles...that is simply NOT true.  People ask me on every teardrop trailer trip... what do you do for bathroom and shower facilities... that's easy, we just go to campgrounds with these amenities. 

Even though we have a bathroom on board the Roadtrek..we still use campsite bathrooms, it's less to clean up...  even though dumping our tanks is a snap.

We don't even have to hook up to a sewer.... just pull out the hose and voilla, done. 

I towed my trailer more than 600 miles to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. 

As you are aware with a "toad"... the huge advantage of a small trailer is the ability to establish a base camp, unhook the car and explore.  I can definitely say that my car will go places my Roadtrek RS Adventurous will never go... Just too risky and limited ground clearance.. 

There's a place for everything... but, the focus of the FMCA forum is really for motor coaches.. my Class B is extremely manueveable, but, it's still a small motor home. An extremely comfortable road vehicle and able to be self contained... that's why I purchased it.   

I'm sure this topic of allowing towables will be going on for some time.. but, that's my two cents on the topic... I would no sooner try and change the minds of the teardrop trailer group than someone should try and change the rules of the FMCA. 

The FMCA needs to do all they can to get rewards for the people who own a Class A,B or C..... and not get too bogged down by soliciting others.   If you dilute the actual members who own the very vehicles the group started with, you might find that the people with just trailers will eventually outnumber the people with the coaches... that would NOT be good..

On another note here....

Finally, I don't know why or how people felt it was the club's responsibility for the Verizon deal...and you cannot blame the club... There's many other cellphone services out there....  

What I would like to see the club do is exert some pressure on either OnStar or Sirius Guardian..for emergency services when you are out of cell phone range...

Recently, I tried to inquire about getting both of these ", emergency satellite services"... unfortunately, they ONLY offer them on certain vehicles..... what a shame... I'm going to start a new thread on this topic....

Generally, when I see the words "remodel" and "New Direction" boldly displayed on a website's home page, I assume that it means there is a "Website Redesign" in the making. I NEVER Figured that those BOLDLY placed words referred to a COMPLETE Redesign of the Organization !!!!!!!!!!

Placing this on the main web page for FMCA really should NOT HAVE BEEN DONE!!!

The change to allow Towables is NOT a DONE DEAL !!

AND, the change should have never been "Advertised" to the Public in Such a Conspicuous Manner !!!

I have to agree with other posters who have commented that the change seems to be a "Fait Accompli" based on the way the information is presented, and so prominently, on the Main Web Page !!!!!!!!!!!!!

There have been some very valuable and insightful comments made on these two Forum Threads and I just hope that EVERY Director has read EVERY Comment and given each comment Careful Consideration BEFORE casting their Ballot.

I love the term remodel.  Like new carpet and maybe a different color paint.  What is actually proposed is a restructuring of the organization.  Like tearing out walls and moving doors and windows around.  The comparison to AARP says it all.  We will no longer belong to the Family Motor Coach Association it will just be FMCA.  What will FMCA stand for?  Fix My Car Albert - or something like that. 

After the Board meets here in Indianapolis, if the change is approved, it will be voted on by the membership.  Nothing is a done deal until the membership approves it.  It will be difficult to make our voices heard given that the organization controls the major means of communication.  Press the organization to allow an equal voice to the opposition and then tailor the message carefully to reach all of our members.

34 minutes ago, TBUTLER said:

I love the term remodel.  Like new carpet and maybe a different color paint.  What is actually proposed is a restructuring of the organization.  Like tearing out walls and moving doors and windows around.  The comparison to AARP says it all.  We will no longer belong to the Family Motor Coach Association it will just be FMCA.  What will FMCA stand for?  Fix My Car Albert - or something like that. 

After the Board meets here in Indianapolis, if the change is approved, it will be voted on by the membership.  Nothing is a done deal until the membership approves it.  It will be difficult to make our voices heard given that the organization controls the major means of communication.  Press the organization to allow an equal voice to the opposition and then tailor the message carefully to reach all of our members.

Well said...Thank-you

Another thought...and I'm not trying to be insular or demeaning to people with travel trailers.... heck, I still own a teardrop trailer and associate with those groups... BUT, what purpose will it serve to allow all of these folks to join the FMCA...that really focuses on Motor Home issues? 

Is it because the membership of the FMCA is in so much jeopardy and they need the money??  If that's the case, then why not raise the dues to $100 per year and have the existing members pay their fare share for the benefits the club offers...  

After all, there's no free lunch or "parking" LOL.... We all have to pay for the services we think are valuable to us.  

The extra money we would have to pay is peanuts....for the purpose of keeping the club exclusive to actual Motor Home owners.... those of us who believe in the club will stay in regardless of a price increase.... I know I would. 

Already, in the first month I've been a member, I've gotten some good ideas and feedback from some other members on the forum.. that's valuable time and information for me.   

4 hours ago, MWeiner said:

Another thought...and I'm not trying to be insular or demeaning to people with travel trailers.... heck, I still own a teardrop trailer and associate with those groups... BUT, what purpose will it serve to allow all of these folks to join the FMCA...that really focuses on Motor Home issues?

THEY WILL GET MORE MEMBERS AND THAT MEANS MORE MONEY.

Is it because the membership of the FMCA is in so much jeopardy and they need the money??  YES.  If that's the case, then why not raise the dues to $100 per year and have the existing members pay their fare share for the benefits the club offers...  BECAUSE I, AND THE MAJORITY OF CURRENT MEMBERS, WOULD CANCEL THEIR MEMBERSHIPS.

After all, there's no free lunch or "parking" LOL.... We all have to pay for the services we think are valuable to us.  EACH OF US MUST SET THAT VAULE.

The extra money we would have to pay is peanuts....for the purpose of keeping the club exclusive to actual Motor Home owners.... those of us who believe in the club will stay in regardless of a price increase.... I know I would.   I ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT.

Already, in the first month I've been a member, I've gotten some good ideas and feedback from some other members on the forum.. that's valuable time and information for me.   YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE AN FMCA MEMBER TO USE THIS FORUM.  IN THAT SAME FIRST MONTH, HOW MUCH VALUABLE INFORMATION HAVE YOU GOTTEN FROM THE FMCA MAGAZINE, THEIR WEBSITE OR ANY OF THE FMCA "BENEFITS"?

1 hour ago, BillAdams said:
5 hours ago, MWeiner said:

THEY WILL GET MORE MEMBERS AND THAT MEANS MORE MONEY.

We clearly disagree on the concept of the Family Motor Coach Association....

It's not called the" Travel Trailers Coach Association"  for a reason.  

Again,  my point is that it will dilute the focus of motor homes with a bunch of other issues thrown into the mix.  I don't think that it's quantity over quality here.    More members, but,  they're not interested in motor homes,  their focus is on travel trailers..... you might as well include their eventual discussion of pickup trucks and the vehicles they use to tow their campers with.   Where does it stop? 

Is it because the membership of the FMCA is in so much jeopardy and they need the money??  YES.  If that's the case, then why not raise the dues to $100 per year and have the existing members pay their fare share for the benefits the club offers...  BECAUSE I, AND THE MAJORITY OF CURRENT MEMBERS, WOULD CANCEL THEIR MEMBERSHIPS.

Really,  that's too bad....   How do you really know that a majority of members would cancel?  What evidence do you have to support that?  Has a survey been done?

After all, there's no free lunch or "parking" LOL.... We all have to pay for the services we think are valuable to us.  EACH OF US MUST SET THAT VAULE.

Agreed,  and understood.   There's a value to having a shared common interest.  I'm not saying that it's wrong for the "tear drop group" to want to have their own sets of rules regarding membership or participation,  that's OK with me.   I'm just saying that the FMCA is a private group and has just as much rights to keep the members confined to Class A, B,  or C motor homes. 

The extra money we would have to pay is peanuts....for the purpose of keeping the club exclusive to actual Motor Home owners.... those of us who believe in the club will stay in regardless of a price increase.... I know I would.   I ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT.

Question,  when was the last time dues went up??  i see that you've been a member since 1994?  How long have you been full timing? 

Already, in the first month I've been a member, I've gotten some good ideas and feedback from some other members on the forum.. that's valuable time and information for me.   YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE AN FMCA MEMBER TO USE THIS FORUM.  IN THAT SAME FIRST MONTH, HOW MUCH VALUABLE INFORMATION HAVE YOU GOTTEN FROM THE FMCA MAGAZINE, THEIR WEBSITE OR ANY OF THE FMCA "BENEFITS"?

Actually, to be perfectly honest,  I have not read the magazine,  but,  I will look at it.  Most of the information received as been from people on the forum sharing information.   I don't have any reason to doubt that many people using the forum are not necessarily members...   No,  I didn't know that it was open to everyone, BUT,   I would think that most of the people interested in discussing motor home issues would probably look here to have a dialog on various issues.    I'm rather new to this,  I've had the teardrop trailer since January 2014...   I like it just fine,  but, my motor home, even though it is small,  is much more comfortable.  It's easy to drive like a large SUV... only with more amenities.  

My understanding is that it will take a vote by the members to allow or disallow travel trailers?   

Until this occurs, all of this is just wild speculation.... When is the vote scheduled??  

Today, the FMCA Governing Board will vote to decide whether or not to send the issue on to the membership. If they do, the ballot will be in the September, October & November issues of Family Motor Coaching. Your ballot must be returned by the end of November.

If the Governing Board does not recommend to send the issue on, it is dead for at least another year. 

Mweiner, the dues went up a year or so ago, a few dollars (I don't remember how much exactly, I believe it was $10.00), people were up in arms over that back then, for it to double....I cant imagine how that would turn out :wacko:

The Governing Board approved sending ballots to all the membership to vote. The ballots will go out in the September, October, & November issues of Family Motor Coaching. 

Surprise!  Since only the board that recommended the change will count the ballots, anyone want to guess what the outcome will be?

2 hours ago, BillAdams said:

Surprise!  Since only the board that recommended the change will count the ballots, anyone want to guess what the outcome will be?

I was thinking the same thing :ph34r:

6 hours ago, rossboyer said:

The Governing Board approved sending ballots to all the membership to vote. The ballots will go out in the September, October, & November issues of Family Motor Coaching. 

What was the vote count of the governing board?  Was it close, unanimous?

No voting on the internet either.  They will depend upon the low readership of the magazine and the lack of motivation of most "members" to do anything with that piece of paper.  Way too much trouble to tear out, put an x in a box and then put it in the mail if they can find a stamp.

(Sarcasm, but likely true).

No self addressed stamped envelope??  LOL...

It's 2017... not 1988... 

When will people wake up that it's easier to vote online..... after all, as members, we all have a username and password for our FMCA account. 

Besides, Internet voting is easier, faster results and verifiable.  

PLUS, for all you "full timers"... How long does it take to get your forwarded mail??

If it's done like an annual corporate shareholder voting, it will be accompanied by a statement to the effect "The Board recommends approval of the measure" to bias the voting...