YES. that's fine....you mean 84 percent in favor of sending this out to the membership for a vote.  What's wrong with that? 

Now, those of us who want to vote can do so.

I suspect we will be able to vote online just as soon as we can vote for the President online...........

if you are asking me about getting mail, I can request my mail be forwarded to me overnight or by snail mail but I get so little mail these days that I usually forget to even call to ask about mail unless I am waiting for something specific.  Even then I can call the mail forwarding service, ask them if a specific piece of mail has arrived and only have them sent it once something of value is there.

99.9% of everything I do or need is done online including depositing checks and paying bills.  My payroll checks are all direct deposit.

Bill, sure, I understand . Everything is done online today..

What made you decide to go full time from 1997 ....

I've seen some of those Prevost coaches on the road... they're awesome.. 

Did you have the conversion done for you or did do a lot of the work yourself. 

I have to admit that I don't have those kinds of skills...If you did it yourself, I'm very impressed.. actually, I'm impressed either way.... those Prevost vehicles are really substantial. 

It's all about the money.  Personally, I can't see ever using FMCA Assist.  If either one of us have a medical emergency we would go to the nearest medical facility capable of handling our problem that accepts Medicare.  Three years ago I broke an ankle while on the road half way to our destination.  It was my left ankle, so we drove on the next day, went to a doc in a box who took Medicare....done deal, never even had to file paperwork.  Now if you have a medical emergency and want to go home for treatment, then FMCA Assist would be a good thing.  So, bottom line there are three choices:

1.  Increase dues...I mean REALLY increase dues.

2.  Allow towables, and continue to keep all the MHers who say they'll quit if towables are allowed..

3.  Eliminate FMCA Assist.

I get the magazine electronically.  I'm a full timer, and have eliminated all paper magazines.  I hope I'll be able to send in a ballot printed from the pdf version of the magazine.

On 7/12/2017 at 6:50 PM, BillAdams said:

Surprise!  Since only the board that recommended the change will count the ballots, anyone want to guess what the outcome will be?

Bill,

We have an outside firm that counts the votes. The ballots go directly to them. The decision is solely in the hands of the Governing Board and general membership. The Governing Board overwhelmingly approved it, and now it goes to general membership. Every national director votes based on how their chapter tells them to vote. 

On 7/13/2017 at 6:07 AM, BillAdams said:

No voting on the internet either.  They will depend upon the low readership of the magazine and the lack of motivation of most "members" to do anything with that piece of paper.  Way too much trouble to tear out, put an x in a box and then put it in the mail if they can find a stamp.

(Sarcasm, but likely true).

On Edit: See my post below posted on 7/15/17 for updated information.

14 hours ago, FIVE said:

It's all about the money.  Personally, I can't see ever using FMCA Assist.  If either one of us have a medical emergency we would go to the nearest medical facility capable of handling our problem that accepts Medicare.  Three years ago I broke an ankle while on the road half way to our destination.  It was my left ankle, so we drove on the next day, went to a doc in a box who took Medicare....done deal, never even had to file paperwork.  Now if you have a medical emergency and want to go home for treatment, then FMCA Assist would be a good thing.  So, bottom line there are three choices:

1.  Increase dues...I mean REALLY increase dues.

2.  Allow towables, and continue to keep all the MHers who say they'll quit if towables are allowed..

3.  Eliminate FMCA Assist.

A broken bone, upset stomach and the normal ills and pains is not a big problem to get medical help.  I friend of ours who lives in Arkansas was in Florida. He had a heart attack. His wife did not drive the MH.  After stabilization the Family Assist program flew him and his wife back to Arkansas in a Lear medical jet with trained nurses on-board.  FMCA Assist also arranged for the return of their MH, and their pet.

Saying one will never use it? One never knows.  Do you have life insurance, do you use it. Do you have MH insurance, do you use it?  It is just that, insurance and it is there only if you need it. I hope you or I never do.

To change the subject, why is FMCA an open forum. That is, anyone can read it but to post one has to join the forum membership.  As Mark pointed out he has gained valuable information from reading this forum.  Think of all those lurkers that read the forum without joining that gain just as much valuable information. 

Close the forum to membership only. Have those that want to have information join FMCA to read the forum.  Control access to the forum for read/write uses.  Increase the coffers.

smithy- THANK YOU for your replies.... I appreciate it...

SO, we will be able to vote online.. good for the FMCA.... kudos. 

AND, for those of you who "assumed" that this wouldn't happen... please remember that "you own your own assumptions" ,  It doesn't serve anyone to make wild assertions about something you don't know.... If you don't know, just say so or inquire. 

NOW, can we all please just move forward and vote..... its a democratic process. 

I'm VERY PLEASED that the vote will be online...it's verifiable, fast and easy. 

We should all do it...I don't know, but, it would be fantastic if the FMCA could send an email to to all of it's members and just ask us to take a few minutes to respond. That would be very simple... And, an outside firm counts the votes, perfect! 

wayne77590-. First of all, thank you...

YES, I have learned a number of things since I joined the FMCA since I joined this month.... And, you get back more of the effort of what you put into something...

I actually AGREE 100 percent with you when you said that the forum should be for "members only"...

Everything you said about Family Assist is TRUE.  None of us can predict the future.. although we all try..LOL.  and the fact that the club (FMCA) has this benefit is fantastic! 

As you pointed out, insurance is about shifting risk...we all hope we never need it, but, it's comforting to know that it's there. 

I have motor home insurance, extended warranty,  Medicare, etc. , BUT, you're so correct, what if you're 2,500 miles from home and you're too ill to drive back..these are all real life scenarios we have to think about...

Good for you... thank you for bringing this subject into the spotlight.

I hope others will think about it and take it to heart. 

And, for the snarky people who are just "lurkers" and making snide and "Killjoy" remarks..... wouldn't your time and efforts be better directed elsewhere... 

YES, close the forum to members only..... 

2 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

To change the subject, why is FMCA an open forum. That is, anyone can read it but to post one has to join the forum membership.  As Mark pointed out he has gained valuable information from reading this forum.  Think of all those lurkers that read the forum without joining that gain just as much valuable information. 

Close the forum to membership only. Have those that want to have information join FMCA to read the forum.  Control access to the forum for read/write uses.  Increase the coffers.

That is certainly one perspective.

But a counter perspective (and one I agree with) is that in today's world, where virtually everyone starts with searches for answers on-line is that the FMCA Forum is a very low cost way to introduce motorhome owners to the benefits of FMCA membership.  That "click" is a lot more cost effective way of reaching prospective members than print ads, etc.

If, for example, a search for  three or four separate motorhome-related issues all land the FMCA Forum in the top couple of hits, there is a lot more likelihood of that person joining FMCA than if they did not have that exposure to us.

3 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

That is certainly one perspective.

But a counter perspective (and one I agree with) is that in today's world, where virtually everyone starts with searches for answers on-line is that the FMCA Forum is a very low cost way to introduce motorhome owners to the benefits of FMCA membership.  That "click" is a lot more cost effective way of reaching prospective members than print ads, etc.

If, for example, a search for  three or four separate motorhome-related issues all land the FMCA Forum in the top couple of hits, there is a lot more likelihood of that person joining FMCA than if they did not have that exposure to us.

Yes, but they could also garnish the information and then keep searching for other ideas. It works both ways. I have no idea of which would "really" be beneficial.

I was visiting with a motorhome owner today and asked him if he is a member of FMCA, he is. He then proceeded to vent about allowing towables when I finally realized he thought "towable" meant his toad. He kept saying he has had a towable since owning his motorhome and thought almost all members had one. He just couldn't understand why it was an issue.

I don't know how the ballot will read but it may be interesting how this all plays out.

Elkhartjim- Interesting...I don't think that the "towables" are the same as a towed car or "toad".... Not all members have one... I certainly don't need to have one although my rig is so powerful, I suppose I could.... But, I don't like towing......

I have a teardrop trailer for sale on the Internet right now..got the Roadtrek RS Adventurous in favor of that..... 

I definitely know that the whole debate is about travel trailers, 5th wheels, etc. 

I hope that the people who are in charge of the vote will be precise in their language so it doesn't confuse the membership out there... that would be VERY unfortunate indeed. 

---MARK

So....... "Every national director votes based on how their chapter tells them to vote."  If that's true then 84% of the FMCA members want to allow towables.  Thanks for confirming what I have already said.  The fix is in.

Bill, 

Regarding allowing "travel trailers, etc.  

I understand that 84 percent of the Directors decided that this issue be voted on by the General Membership... that doesn't mean that the General Membership will vote as a "done deal" as you put it... they wanted it put before the membership for a YES or NO answer... seems simple enough to me.    That way the general membership chooses.. isn't  this the American way.  

If it were truly the case that it's all fixed as you put it,  why even have an vote?

I find this kind of talk a little offensive.  Let's let the process work itself out, please. 

---MARK

MWeiner.  Mark if you are going to last on the forum you will need to learn to have a thicker skin. We are fortunate to be able to express our thoughts and sometimes we may get shot down, very seldom is something said to cause offense. As you are here longer you will learn that some on the forum have a sharp sense of humor and are not pc.

Many of us are skeptical of the FMCA motives and feel that the election could be just a formality, for you to feel different is your prerogative. Hopefully we will be wrong and the club will remain unchanged but personally I think the politics will not allow that.

Roland

Roland- Thanks, I'm not really that offended... but, I'm going to call it as I see it...

Look, there's plenty of room for discussion on these subjects..and I love a good debate, however when people make comments like it's a done deal or baked in without even a vote or survey... they are trying to over shadow and color the election. I don't appreciate people trying to influence others through assumptions and innuendos about something that is going to happen .... people read this and they think..why should I vote... it's all decided...The idea that it's a done deal is offensive...and frankly they should NOT be allowed to make these wild unfounded assertions.... kind of  like "fake news"..   All I'm saying is let the vote decide the outcome. 

---MARK

If you call it the way you see it, saying I offended you but you are not offended it seems you are looking for inflammatory words.  "Let's let the process work out, please".  I don't need your advice on my posts, that's a moderators job.

We all have opinions.  I post mine.  You are welcome to post yours without attacking mine.

Good morning, Mark.

Just as an observation, you are a new energetic, enthusiastic member of the forum and we welcome you, however, I suggest you take a deep breath and realize each and every member has their on personal knowledge whether it be from experience or some other manner and we all have our personal opinion regarding whatever the subject is. We each have the right to write that opinion as long as its not a personal attack. Bill A was only stating his opinion, you can choose to agree or disagree and if anothers opinion offends you just don't read it. The forum mod's try to control any post that is of a personal attack.

There is a wealth of knowledge available on this forum and some of the knowledge will presented as opinions, you can choose to agree or disagree but try to not be offended.

On 7/14/2017 at 9:25 AM, smithy said:

This is also not quite true either. We will allow members to vote online.

I need to correct my post. After speaking with our parliamentarian, our bylaws do not allow us to have an electronic vote. We have to do it the old fashion mail way. Sorry for the confusion everyone.

Now that would be very interesting.  Does this forum have a "poll" option?  While I know that FMCA would not like to see the results of a poll of the current members of this forum it sure would be interesting to see.  If polling is not available we could start a topic and allow only 1 word answers.  Yea or Nay.