3014oliver

NSA Brute Force Elite Tow Bar

Anyone use a NSA Brute Force Elite Tow Bar? I'm considering that because it has a surge brake included, no need to buy a separate toad braking system. I know the surge brake uses the toad's brakes. Can find all kinds of information on blue ox, roadmaster and demco but nothing on the NSA tow bar. 

Surge brakes are ok if you don't go down long steep hills as the brakes are activated constantly if you are using the exhaust brake.

NSA site has plenty of information in the tow bar as well as the Ready Brake which is incorporated into the tow bar system.  I am in the process of gathering components to tow my Jeep Wrangler.  I met a guy yesterday that had the Ready Brake installed on his Jeep.  He took the time to show me the install.  Nice, clean, and simple.  He had a Brake Buddy for a few years but replaced it with the Ready Brake and several thousand miles later still prefers the Ready Brake.  I'm sold.  As to the tow bar itself and the base plate,  still undecided.  

On 6/14/2017 at 5:42 PM, desertdeals69 said:

Surge brakes are ok if you don't go down long steep hills as the brakes are activated constantly if you are using the exhaust brake.

The Ready Brake will not activate when the engine brake is being used.   It is engineered to prevent that.  I have one and have had no issues with it.

After doing a bit more research, talking to a few people in the RV park and at the service with the ready brake I've decided I'll go that route with the ready brute tow bar. It works out a bit less that route than using a Brake buddy, Patriot or a road master invisibrake.

My only reminder is the kits come with a light to tell you when the brake "may" be on. It does not mean enough force has been used to actually apply the brake, just that the mechanism has moved. Could be fooling some to think the brakes are actually on.

The switch on the hitch mechanisim  is much simpler than a setup to the brake pedal in the toad. I use it as a reminder to be ready for the 'clunk', and that the mechanisim is not frozen or stuck on.

NSA offers the other style indicator as a separate piece, for those that want to monitor the brake pedal in the toad.

Since I use magnetic lights on the cargo tray on the toad, I can check actual toad braking by watching the toad brake lights (I do not have to disconnect toad battery).

Any system will indicate that the brake is on and do it with the slightest pressure of the brake peddle. 

Think about the car owners who ride with their left foot resting on the brake peddle.

I use AF1 and its proportional braking using air. So far so good but even then the slightest pressure on the brake pedal will indicate braking.