grnordstrom

Applying Dinghy/Towed Vehicle Brakes

Hi,

Assuming your towed vehicle can actually be towed on all fours, is there a system that would apply the brakes on the towed vehicle in the same way as trailer brakes? 

Reference: Tow vehicle is Class C without air brakes.

Ray

There are lots of systems that don't use the air from the coach. I am still using my old Brake Buddy. I don't know of one that works like trailer brakes. 

Bill

Lots of systems from brake buddy, blue ox patriot, roadmaster invisibrake,  SMI ect. search camping world for supplemental brake systems, get some parts catalogues from local rv dealership go through those. I'm considering a NSA ReadyBrute Elite tow bar that comes with a surge brake that gets installed by cable to the dinghy's  brakes

Yes.  The best (in my opinion) is the M&G braking system but it's not available for all toads.  The next best (same opinion) is the Air Force 1 system.  If you want something that you have to put in and take out every time you tow or stop towing then there are a number of units available that plug into your cigarette lighter and use centrifugal force to determine how much braking is necessary. 

X3 !

Also check with PPL and American Fencing!  AF deals with horse trailers and cargo trailers also. 

Send a PM to RSBILLEDWARDS, he has a trailer electric brake system that he found, to tow a very heavy 24 foot enclosed trailer...ask Herman! :lol: Ref Chandler!

You can not use M&G or Airforce One since they require air brakes on the coach.

The easiest, simplest option is SMI Stay in Play Duo. Mine has been working perfectly

for 7 years over 80,000 miles. Once installed the hook up is just a flip of the switch.

Not to be picky but the correct term for the way that the brake in a box systems operate is inertia, not centrifugal force. 

Centrifugal force (Latin for "center fleeing") describes the tendency of an object following a curved path to fly outwards, away from the center of the curve. Diffen

There is no circular motion involved in the detector, simply a straight line inertial detector.  When the towed vehicle is slowed, inertia (a moving object will keep moving in a straight line unless acted upon by another force) slides a weight forward which is electronically converted to a physical force on the brake in the towed vehicle.  The harder the brakes in the coach are applied, the greater the inertial force on the weight in the detector and this converted to an electrical signal that activates the physical device linked to the brake pedal which applies a stronger force to the brake.  It might seem proportional but only if the system is adjusted very carefully will it truly be proportional. 

One drawback to these systems, is that it does not matter what is slowing the coach.  An inertial system applies the brakes any time the vehicle slows.  In a diesel coach when you apply the engine brake, the inertial system in the towed vehicle will apply the brakes in that vehicle.  You do not have to step on the brake pedal to set of the braking device.  So you would be using the brakes in the towed vehicle to help slow the combined vehicle every time you apply the engine brake.  The same would be true of downshifting on a downgrade in a gas coach.  This could result in excessive wear on the brakes in the towed vehicle, especially if you frequently travel in mountainous terrain.

If you have ever been in a vehicle during an emergency stop or an accident you felt inertia as your body continued to move forward toward the front of the vehicle.  Inertia is the reason you wear a seat belt.  Without the seat belt you would continue forward until you hit something inside the vehicle, the dash, windshield, steering wheel, rear of the front seats, etc.  Seat belts exert a force to stop your inertia before you reach one of these more damaging items.  Air bags aid seat belts in the most severe stops.

Inertia is what keeps a spacecraft moving once the rocket engines shut off.  The vehicle continues on in a straight line unless acted on by an outside force.  If near Earth or other celestial body and not traveling fast enough, the spacecraft may be pulled into a curved path around Earth.  In a continuing orbit around another object, gravity is the force that bends the orbit into a circle or ellipse.  Rocket engines are only needed then to make adjustments in the orbit, the vehicle can coast around Earth (or other celestial body) for years with no additional energy being added to keep it going.

Thank you Bill, I'm a retired science teacher always looking for a chance to advance our understanding of science.  :P

On 4/3/2018 at 6:51 AM, manholt said:

dstahm.

Sorry, was a private dig between me and Tom!  We are both well versed in Physics. 

No prob!  Glad to have some knowledgeable folks on the boards.

cheers!