pollonbeeche

Electric Entry Step Problem

My coach is 2006 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Diesel I purchased it new. My question is:

My automatic electric step started acting up about a week ago. When I closed the door it will only retract half way and I will give it a little push and it will go in all the way. Today I open the door and it came out as it is suppose to but now it will not retract at all when I close the door, I also notice that the light under the step is not ON like it always does when the step is out.

Do I need to replace the motor and the step controller (Brain Box) together or should I replace just one of them at a time and see if it works.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

pollonbeeche. The motor drive circuit has a current limiter circuit. This protects the motor and the linkage from damage when the step sticks, strikes something or the mechanical linkage is binding. That circuit just stops the step when the limit is exceeded and the light circuit is turned off also. 

Sounds like it is time to lubricate all the pivot points - some are up nuder the floor area where the system bolts to the coach. The best way to get it them is to extend the steeps, kind of get under the coach and spray things with a good spray on oil. Like LPS, Super Lub or Triflow.  WD-40 is more like a penetrating oil and does not last when exposed to outside elements well.  One item that needs oiling on a yearly bases.

Rich.

When your post is red by one of the moderators, it will be moved to the appropriate thread with a number post pertaining to step problems. You did fine! There are a number of threads and finding the one relevant to an issue can be a little challenging. 

Look under electrical.  The step issue is long and ongoing.  I lube mine every month and have had no issues since 2013.  Yeah, mine did the same as yours! :rolleyes:

The best dry film (graphite) lube I have found is By John Deere. You can get it on Amazon or at your local John Deere store.:)

John Deere Original Equipment Lubricant Spray #TY25797 

Bill

If you have the paper work that came with the step it will show where to lube and what to use, when the chassis is serviced ask the shop to service the step. unless you want to see the underside of your unit.I am kind of hands on.

On 6/18/2017 at 7:23 PM, rhinderber said:

If you have the paper work that came with the step it will show where to lube and what to use, when the chassis is serviced ask the shop to service the step. unless you want to see the underside of your unit.I am kind of hands on.

I  don't have the paper work, the step was made by COACH STEP INC. I understand they no longer exist.

I use silicone spray in all the moving bushings and bolts at least once a month. Thank you.