peanutandskippy2

Installing Wall Tile As A Backsplash

I am planning to install wall tile as a backsplash on my 2005 Discovery. I plan to use premixed mastic and stick the tile directly to the paneling. Has anyone done this and what are the potential problems?

Thanks

Peanut

I am planning to install wall tile as a backsplash on my 2005 Discovery. I plan to use premixed mastic and stick the tile directly to the paneling. Has anyone done this and what are the potential problems?

Thanks

Peanut

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Flexing of the wall as you drive will be the biggest issue. You may need to use some green board or other more rigid backing if the wall is prone to flexing.

And even with a reasonably rigid backing you need to use mastic/adhesive and grout that are slightly flexible.

Someone who installs ceramic tile in RVs can likely recommend an adhesive and grout with this property.

Brett

We replaced the mirror backsplash behind our range with thermoplastic panels available at Home Depot and Lowes that resembles the old stamped tin they used to use for ceilings and such. They are available in several colors, we chose a deep bronze color that is really rich looking and is quite unique. The panels run about $20/ea and depending on the size of the area to cover you might need 3 or 4 of them. Installation is with very strong double back tape and they are easy to cut with simple tin snips. The panels are recomended as backsplash and are safe around the stove as long as they are kept the minimum distance from the heat source which is actually not very far.

We replaced the mirror backsplash behind our range with thermoplastic panels available at Home Depot and Lowes that resembles the old stamped tin they used to use for ceilings and such. They are available in several colors, we chose a deep bronze color that is really rich looking and is quite unique. The panels run about $20/ea and depending on the size of the area to cover you might need 3 or 4 of them. Installation is with very strong double back tape and they are easy to cut with simple tin snips. The panels are recomended as backsplash and are safe around the stove as long as they are kept the minimum distance from the heat source which is actually not very far.

I'd like to do the same. Were you able to remove the mirrors in tact? We have about 7ft of mirror backsplash in three sections. I was considering the same stamped tin.

I don't know if I am allowed to post a link to another site on this forum. However over on another board I follow dealing with National RVs there is a member who did add a tile wall over the counters in his coach. Looks great and has held up very well. I do believe he did use either Hardy Board or Green Board as a base for the tile.

If you would like a link to his photo page let me know.

Jon

I'd like to do the same. Were you able to remove the mirrors in tact? We have about 7ft of mirror backsplash in three sections. I was considering the same stamped tin.

The mirrors came off really easy, They didn't use glue just double back tape. Used putty knife slipped in behind the mirror and gave a slight twist and they popped right off in one piece. Could use them somewhere else if we wanted.

Here is a few pics of the installation:

post-9618-1264288187_thumb.jpg

post-9618-1264288192_thumb.jpg

Very nice job. I have been researching this project for two months and had decided that this would be a great do it yourself project. I had found a product that could be painted any color that you wished. I even got some samples from the company. But they want you to install the tiles with construction adhesive and I don't want that permanent of an installation. Did the double sided tape that you used come with the panels that you got from Lowes or Home Depot or did you purchase it separately?

rtrdtower

98 Endeavor

I used the masonite that looks like tile, from Lowes, and used adhesive from the caulking gun to stick it to the pre-finished wall behind the stove and sink.

We recently removed the mirror backsplash in our Fleetwood Southwind.Had looked at ceramic tile, glass tiles,and others. Got concerned about weight and and flexing.We also decided on the faux pressed tin from Home depot.Was very easy to do and looks great. Chose the bronze .